Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
Your priorities are in order...

Money is only beneficial to enhance or sustain one's quality of life. God isn't interested in the amount of assets we have when we pass.

I
Nice and so true.

street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #642
Recycles dryer sheets

Klaxon going off. FOMO alert.

Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #643
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I know there are a lot of people like this...but why is it an all or none decision?
That's another reason the market goes wacko from time to time.

I no longer wonder why they do that, and instead try to do like Sir Templeton did. He said his job was to help people, and when they wanted to sell, he bought from them. When they clamored to buy, he sold to them.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #644
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's another reason the market goes wacko from time to time.

I no longer wonder why they do that, and instead try to do like Sir Templeton did. He said his job was to help people, and when they wanted to sell, he bought from them. When they clamored to buy, he sold to them.
I love that quote.

Since we are doing them:
Quote:
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many men as possible.
(Bernard Baruch)

And another one from him that I would be wise to listen to:
Quote:
I made my money by selling too soon.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #645
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
Last week was a wild ride. Fear of another 2008/2009 is/was in the back of my mind even though I know I would survive and stay retired if it happened. Today I am not thinking about what the market will do. Yesterday I got a phone call from a childhood friend, he told me if I wanted to say goodbye to a woman I grew up with and was close to her family in my youth I needed to get up to a County Hospice House as she has hours to days to live. Stage 4 lung cancer, never smoked. She turns 53 today. Another old friend from childhood will soon be gone. I am sad but I am determined to find some joy today even if it is treating myself to a meal out, a visit with another old friend or both. I am ever thankful for my blessings in life, the stock market in the short term is just drama.
^THIS. I'm down the equivalent of more than a year's expenses since the top. I've been kind of sweating my next move. Also since the top I lost a HighSchool friend to a heart attack. He was 54 and JUST retired. He was on vacation with his wife in Florida. So, just now rebalanced to 100 % equities as I have a pension I treat as my fixed income. I don't even know why I sweated this correction. It's fundlemental and I don't even need to tap the stash at this juncture. I promise myself to stop watching the market and just stay aware of the economy as a whole. Enjoy my ER and family and let the market take care of itself. RIP, Tim.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM   #646
Give me a forum ...

To me that stock market ran up so fast last year and the first month this year, that it's hard for me to get excited about the drop because it seemed like too much too fast anyway.

So we're back to late Nov 17 prices. That's still way higher than Jan 1 2017.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #647
Give me a forum ...

I just looked. My stash is back to its value on Dec 18. Still a lot lower than the top on Jan 26. That rise in January was phenomenal.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #648

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
To me that stock market ran up so fast last year and the first month this year, that it's hard for me to get excited about the drop because it seemed like too much too fast anyway.
+1 Exactly!
Those of us who follow the market on a regular basis just knew this was too hot to sustain itself.

I view the market trend almost like a steady rising tide. It will eventually go up regardless but there is an ebb an flow to it. A pull-back doesn't mean the tide is going out; it is just reverting to where it should be in the first place.

Patience pays off by knowing that it can get ahead or behind itself but there is an imaginary 'true' line of growth that the market only sometimes follows.

Just my visualization of it. I'm pushed back to October '17 (from August '18's calculated balance)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #649

Just out of curiosity, does a down market have to last a certain amount of time to officially be called a "Correction"? I've always heard a Correction is when the market drops at least 10%, and this current one was a 10% drop.

However, as of yesterday's close, I think I was only down about 6-7% off my peak in January, so it is clawing back. And who knows? By the end of the month, it could go back into the black. So, years down the road, when we look back on stock market performance, and see a chart spanning many years, this drop may not even show up.

I read somewhere that there have been something like 36 corrections since 1980 (and that includes corrections that have turned into recessions). In my own experience, I've only had three drops in the 2009-now period that would count as 10% plus, and lasted more than a month so that they actually show up in my spreadsheet. The first one was March 2009, the official bottom of the Great Recession. I had actually bottomed out in late November 2008, but then it started to bounce back. But then there was another slide in early 2009 that took me down about 20%. Over the summer of 2010 I was down about 15%, and that lasted a couple months I think. And then in the summer of 2011 I lost about 15% in less than a month. I didn't recover from that one until early 2012.

I heard there was an official correction in early 2016, but I guess I got lucky because that one really doesn't show up as being quite so serious on my records. I mean, it's there...you can see the dip in the line. But, it's not a serious dip.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #650
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Cramer's piece intrigued me, so I did some more digging and found this https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-almost-worked

In short, it seems no one who held these instruments could tell with certainty what the price really was or how it would react to events in motion. If you think that a certain market move should make your instrument go up and it makes it go down instead, I'd say you don't understand enough to be invested in that instrument in the first place. What a mess these people are making.
And the plot thickens. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that
Quote:
The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) is scrutinizing whether traders placed bets on S&P 500 options in order to influence prices for VIX futures
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1FX2PJ
Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

Media focusing eyes on the inflation report. Anything the media highlights is a distraction or slight of hand. What ever the report says is priced in.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #652

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

So we're back to late Nov 17 prices. That's still way higher than Jan 1 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
+1 Exactly!
Those of us who follow the market on a regular basis just knew this was too hot to sustain itself.

I view the market trend almost like a steady rising tide. It will eventually go up regardless but there is an ebb an flow to it. A pull-back doesn't mean the tide is going out; it is just reverting to where it should be in the first place.

Patience pays off by knowing that it can get ahead or behind itself but there is an imaginary 'true' line of growth that the market only sometimes follows.

Just my visualization of it. I'm pushed back to October '17 (from August '18's calculated balance)
+1

I'm with you guys. I never believed that the Jan '18 sharp rise was real, so I wasn't too attached to it when is was rolled back. Actually, Dec. '17 looks pretty optimistic in retrospect. Overall, I'm probably rolled back to Oct-Nov '17, but I haven't checked carefully. Got travel plans instead
Old 02-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #653

Party on Garth. As of 2:15 today the S&P was positive for the year.
flintnational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #654
Recycles dryer sheets

I went from 8k down to up a tad in no time. Talk about volatility!
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Party on Garth. As of 2:15 today the S&P was positive for the year.

WooHoo!
Back to being eccentric instead of crazy!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #656
Give me a forum ...

At this point, I am 1% above 2017 year end.

Still a long way towards the peak on Jan 26, but I should not complain.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:08 AM   #657

Which day was this, the "down day in the market"? My memory is fading.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
Which day was this, the "down day in the market"? My memory is fading.
Stop holding your chart at arm's length. Get really, really, really close and you'll see it.

It's a bit like the flu: You throw up and feel miserable for a day or two but then things get back to normal. Healthy for you in a way as it'll strengthen your immune system when the next bout comes along.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
At this point, I am 1% above 2017 year end.

Still a long way towards the peak on Jan 26, but I should not complain.
I'm 1.5% up from first trading day of the 2018. Like also, a long way short from the high in 2018. Still very happy where we are at and a lot of year to go. It is what it is and always feel blessed with what I have.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I'm 1.5% up from first trading day of the 2018. Like also, a long way short from the high in 2018. Still very happy where we are at and a lot of year to go. It is what it is and always feel blessed with what I have.
I'm in a similar situation. I added up everything this morning, and I'm up around 1.4% so far in 2018. I just hunted down a post I made in the 2018 YTD investment portfolio, and as of 1/26 I was up around 5.1%. I don't know how far my portfolio actually got down to at its worst, because I didn't check it for a few days. At one point though, I did check while it was on the mend, and was down around 2-3% I think.

Anyway, I'm not complaining...it could be a lot worse. I've still done better in a month and a half than I have in some entire years. And, my portfolio has still made me more $ so far this year than my j*b has. Hopefully it stays that way.

Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote