Down Day in the Market !

Media focusing eyes on the inflation report. Anything the media highlights is a distraction or slight of hand. What ever the report says is priced in.

To me that stock market ran up so fast last year and the first month this year, that it's hard for me to get excited about the drop because it seemed like too much too fast anyway.

So we're back to late Nov 17 prices. That's still way higher than Jan 1 2017.

+1 Exactly!
Those of us who follow the market on a regular basis just knew this was too hot to sustain itself.

I view the market trend almost like a steady rising tide. It will eventually go up regardless but there is an ebb an flow to it. A pull-back doesn't mean the tide is going out; it is just reverting to where it should be in the first place.

Patience pays off by knowing that it can get ahead or behind itself but there is an imaginary 'true' line of growth that the market only sometimes follows.

Just my visualization of it. I'm pushed back to October '17 (from August '18's calculated balance)

+1

I'm with you guys. I never believed that the Jan '18 sharp rise was real, so I wasn't too attached to it when is was rolled back. Actually, Dec. '17 looks pretty optimistic in retrospect. Overall, I'm probably rolled back to Oct-Nov '17, but I haven't checked carefully. Got travel plans instead :cool:

At this point, I am 1% above 2017 year end.

Still a long way towards the peak on Jan 26, but I should not complain.

Which day was this, the "down day in the market"? My memory is fading.

Stop holding your chart at arm's length. Get really, really, really close and you'll see it.

It's a bit like the flu: You throw up and feel miserable for a day or two but then things get back to normal. Healthy for you in a way as it'll strengthen your immune system when the next bout comes along.

At this point, I am 1% above 2017 year end.

Still a long way towards the peak on Jan 26, but I should not complain.

I'm 1.5% up from first trading day of the 2018. Like also, a long way short from the high in 2018. Still very happy where we are at and a lot of year to go. It is what it is and always feel blessed with what I have.

I'm 1.5% up from first trading day of the 2018. Like also, a long way short from the high in 2018. Still very happy where we are at and a lot of year to go. It is what it is and always feel blessed with what I have.

I'm in a similar situation. I added up everything this morning, and I'm up around 1.4% so far in 2018. I just hunted down a post I made in the 2018 YTD investment portfolio, and as of 1/26 I was up around 5.1%. I don't know how far my portfolio actually got down to at its worst, because I didn't check it for a few days. At one point though, I did check while it was on the mend, and was down around 2-3% I think.

Anyway, I'm not complaining...it could be a lot worse. I've still done better in a month and a half than I have in some entire years. And, my portfolio has still made me more $ so far this year than my j*b has. Hopefully it stays that way. ;)

I logged my stash value everyday, so I know how much I had each day. On Jan 26, after just 4 weeks, I gained enough for 3 years of living expenses. Just way too good to be true, and of course it wasn't. I sold some, but of course later wished I had sold more.

Now working slowly back towards that. Will I sell more next time? Will see. :)

Last edited:
I don't think that was a Correction. It was an air pocket.

Are we all in agreement this was a "market head fake"? Or is there a surprise lurking in the woods soon? :D

I went from 8k down to up a tad in no time. Talk about volatility!

Oh! Wow. Is there some instrument I could use to trade on this volatility thing? I think that would be fun. Maybe do it on a day to day basis. Or hour to hour. Something to pass the time in my retirement, you know.

:)

Are we all in agreement this was a "market head fake"? Or is there a surprise lurking in the woods soon? :D

Of course, a market correction can be a head fake, as less than half descended into a bear market. This one is also unusually short.

About more surprises, I think there will be. If I could time it, I would be so busy counting money, and would have no time to post here.

Oh! Wow. Is there some instrument I could use to trade on this volatility thing? I think that would be fun. Maybe do it on a day to day basis. Or hour to hour. Something to pass the time in my retirement, you know.

:)

People who own individual stocks have the "pleasure" of watching their stash fluctuate violently during the day. MF share holders can watch the market live, but unless they are strict indexers they will not know exactly what their portfolio is doing.

I use Quicken to have a bird-eye view over multiple accounts, his/her/IRA/Roth/after-tax, etc... On a stormy day, every time I hit "refresh" to get a new set of stock quotes, I see a different bottom line number. It could swing from up a 5-figure sum to down the same amount. It's wild.

I don't know how day traders operate. I try to do "month trades" to catch the longer cycles, and that is tough enough.

The tone of this thread is "all clear". While that may be true, it may also not be true.

Typically one would expect the prior high to be a point of resistance. That is, there are some people out there who might want to sell "if I could only get back to where it was". Will that happen here or will we blow on through to new highs? Who knows.

Early this year I posted that I thought we weren't at the peak, but instead maybe sometime like late 1998 (using the run to 2000 as an analogy). I still think that is true, but who knows?

The lesson is always to stick to your asset allocation that allows you to sleep.

It's a commonly accepted bit of wisdom that as a bull market matures, volatility will increase. There ought to be quite a few episodes of this sort of thing before the bull ends. Having your ducks lined up to where you can sleep at night is definitely a priority.

I had to check my "car index". And found that I'm down an Alfa Romeo Giulia.

NlbLBu4.jpg

I have a good chunk of cash set aside for buying a home. I wonder how far down we must go before using some of that to buy in and get a partial mortage would pay off? Definately not in a hurry...

My neighbor just bought an Alfa Romeo. I still know nothing about cars but remember the above post, so just checked here to verify that it is the same model Giulia.

Pretty nice interior, but I do not know what is optional and standard. And I did not ask. Just learned there's a Quadrifoglio version (4WD?) that's up to $85K.

I also did not ask if he bought the dip and now enjoyed the loot. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom