Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Downsizing
Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Cut-Throat:

I am the President, of a 11 unit Townhome complex. Not President by design, I just can't get anyone to take the job! Can't get people to come to meetings, to discuss anything, can't get people out of their houses, don't respond to directions, don't offer suggestions. Just wanna be left alone and let somebody else do it!

Alot of things have been neglected here, over the years. The only way I've found to get it done, Is Just Do It. So far we've been lucky, that we've had enough in the "kitty." to cover the surprise expenses. Now. If we have another ice storm, like last year, or our property insurance takes another huge leap, don't know what will happen.

When I came into this community, 10 years ago,; our monthly dues were $47.50, per month. They are now $85.00 and we are putting some money into our reserve. We are a long way, from being able to pay for the things that need be done!

I'd be interested in knowing more about you're situation. Feel free to contact me and let's discuss!

Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
JG:* What do your monthly fees run per month?

I assume they cover the exterior of the unit, etc. etc.
Condo is 1000 SF, monthly dues $210. A large swimming pool runs it up a bit.
Covers all common areas, exterior, insurance, landscaping, trash hauling,
etc.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Our first Hawaii home's HOA had raised dues to $90/year just before we bought the place. That pays for gardening the common areas (mostly medians & sidewalk landscaping) and the walking trail.

16 years later the dues are still at $90/year. The state condemned some common property for a road expansion about 10 years ago (big payoff) and the reserves for a planned recreation center were absorbed back into the budget when the state built a huge park across the street. So all of the projected improvements have been taken care of by our local govt.

Homeowner voting, let alone meeting participation or board service, is so low that a couple years ago the CC&Rs were modified to allow a 35% vote to be the majority. The board had already sewn up the proxies when one meeting attendee asked what would happen if there were 36% "Yes" votes but 37% "No" votes. After a little modification to the original proposal to handle that "oops", it still passed. So our majority vote is only 35%.

And in case you're wondering, no, I don't serve on that homeowner's board. It's a thankless task, I've served my time, I have better ways to spend it from now on.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote