Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Ciongrats DWF ! We "lost" 1400 sq ft in the move and I barely miss it. The old floorplan was very open and could accomodate 20 guests. New house only has one sofa in the living room and one sofa in the family room. I've contemplated a couple of side chairs several time but then I remember why we downsized - we wanted a house for US, not for everyone else. When we have company we'll figure it out. We can easily fit 10 people outside in the lanai and we have seating for 8 in the dining room.
Congratulations! Downsizing is very liberating. Resist the urge to enter furniture stores or look at antiques. Stuff can accumulate again faster than you think!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We found that downsizing is very liberating. I thought that the feeling might wear off but it has not. I cannot believe that we are so happy with so much less-space and so fewer 'things'. Yes, we have some keepsakes and some nice funrniture-but only enough for our condo.

Absolutely NO desire to go into a furniture store, antique store, whatever...instead we search the web for last minute travel offers.

Looking back, I just cannot imagine how we lived with all that space, all that junk, and all those vehicles. They have simply lost much of their value to us. Just go rid of number 2 car to a son who needs it more than I do....yet another personal mill stone gone. No more insurance, repairs, gas. Happy to take public transit, a cab, or a rental if we really need it. Lest cost, less hassle, and more flexibility for us.

We still have the china and the silverware though...but it is packed away in the storage area.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never had real china or real silverware. My tastes and belongings have always been very simple. My house is definitely not something you'd see in a magazine. My home is cozy and comfortable with just the right amount of furniture for two people. What little stuff I do have on display are inexpensive souveniers I've picked up on my limited vacations. Eveything I have on display brings a smile to my face as I remember where, when or why I got it. These are things I appreciate and are not anything that anyone else (other than DH) would understand / find "value" in.

Somestimes when I am at other peoples houses I can envy the beautiful crystal, artwork, splendid decor, etc .... but then I come home and smile. I definitey do not feel deprived and know that my life is full and rich.

So I downsized from having "too much cr@p" to having "just the right amount of cr@p"
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote