Join Early Retirement Today

"Downsizing" house
Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

"Downsizing" house

DW and I have been thinking about it for a while but are now pulling the trigger.

Selling our 1.3m socal home in an expensive are and getting a 500k house in a less expensive area about 30 miles east. A bit further from the beach but the difference in what we bought the house for pays for the new house so no mortgage and no impact on liquid assets.

Lower RE taxes is just a free bonus.

Also closer to family which is nice.

Now just have to secure part-time/work more from home to negate the commute impact and if not... I guess that will mean "forced" ER.

I really love killing off 4k/mo of expenses and cutting monthly budget by 40%-50% in one blow.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on the decision to downsize! I love the lower monthly expenses that result from having no mortgage and hope you will, too. Sounds like a good, and timely move in your case if you are winding up your career and getting ready to retire or semi-retire soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you!

It's nice not having a house payment -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also love not having a house payment, but my house was only cost about half of your smaller one anyway.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have to say, in the world of my finances, paying off my house was my proudest moment and when I think about it, I still smile. Being mortgage free is very, VERY liberating!

Congrats to the OP!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
I really love killing off 4k/mo of expenses and cutting monthly budget by 40%-50% in one blow.
Just move out of CA and you can probably cut an additional 10% minimum off that monthly budget

Back to your original post, good for you and that selling and move will certainly have a very significant impact on your savings and ability to retire sooner.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Good for you!

Amen! I moved from the San Fernando Valley to a small town in Ventura County. Our home is paid for, and my property tax went from $2800 to $240. I took the remaining proceeds from my house and divided it up among our 4 sons.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I also love not having a house payment, but my house was only cost about half of your smaller one anyway.
I bought my Dream House last summer for even less than yours, but then I don't live in Southern California. I don't think I could buy an dog house there for that price. But with family there, I can understand why Petershk wants to stay there. For him, it is probably worth the higher cost.

Housing prices have gone up here a lot in the past year, so I am not seeing anything nice for the price I paid any more even here.

I know I talk a lot about my Dream House and perhaps boast too much about how much I love it and how perfect it is for me. If I do, then I'm sorry, everyone! I get carried away and do not mean to boast so much as to be joyful about it. My home was not super expensive or all "tricked out" in HGTV style. Still, it's just SO right for me.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

W2R no apologies needed - Glad you LOVE your dream house!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
W2R no apologies needed - Glad you LOVE your dream house!
Thank you! I really do. Like retirement, my perfect-for-me house is a lifetime dream come true.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's such a good feeling to have our home paid off and being debt free. You will love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We have gotten used to living in 4000+ square foot houses in Nashville and Atlanta suburbs. We moved to Alabama to a 3300 square foot house on 4 acres--downsizing getting ready for ER.

On our street, a very formal 6000 square foot house foreclosure on 5.5 acres with a pool could have bought it for $317K. But rebuilding the kitchen, floors, paint, etc. was more money and effort than we needed to have taken on.

My wife found another foreclosure--5000 square foot 5 bedroom 5 bath house with 2 double car garages in a very upscale neighborhood. We bought it for 25% less than market value, and paid cash. And it's really nice--especially for the money. Now, I've just got to sell my old house to replenish my cash reserves.

We're just so fortunate to live in the South--where houses are so much cheaper than in other regions. An ace in the hole is that my wife is on SS disability, and Alabama property taxes are waived on the disabled---a big savings.

So goes downsizing for retirement.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #13

One word on my downsizing experience, liberating !
Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

My fiance and I just moved to Florida from Georgia. We didn't really downsize since we were already living in the right size home for us, but getting into a single story home with a great floor plan makes a big difference. No mortgage, no stairs sure feels nice!

Sent from my VS986 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
swguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you! I really do. Like retirement, my perfect-for-me house is a lifetime dream come true.
Same here. My new patio home on the golf course is perfect for me. I took a neighbor down to my coastal condo last week and he said I have the best of both worlds. A golf view at home and a water view there. I sometimes have to pinch myself that I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that I can afford to have both. If I lived in CA, I would be living in a double wide.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
gone traveling

Down sized almost 3 years ago, brand new energy efficient house, property tax and utilities cut in half, no yard maintenance (included in HOA fee), and gated community. One of the best retirement decisions one can make.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #17

Houses and cars are the best ways to cut costs. The other stuff is usually small money.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Agree. We downsized from a large home to a storage container and then to a condo. Also got rid of one of two vehicles.

It has been so liberating and it has changed our lives. We will move up little soon however our priorities have changed. We did not do it to save money although we knew that we would. After 35 years of home ownership, fix ups, renos, yard work, we simply got tired of it. It became a distraction. The huge upside was financial.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Same here. My new patio home on the golf course is perfect for me. I took a neighbor down to my coastal condo last week and he said I have the best of both worlds. A golf view at home and a water view there. I sometimes have to pinch myself that I'm fortunate enough to live in an area that I can afford to have both. If I lived in CA, I would be living in a double wide.
I am so happy to read that your new patio home on the golf course has turned out to be just as perfect for you as mine is for me. You know exactly what I mean, then. All my life I have wanted a house like this. The last house was as good as I could find at the time, but it had to be near to work and cheap for LBYM so I didn't have much choice. My new-to-me house is not fancy or a mansion, but it is just perfect for me. Living here brings sheer joy to my life every single day.

We are indeed fortunate to live in areas where we can finally afford the houses we truly want. In my case, I am so lucky to have found this house right before real estate in my suburb "took off". Housing prices are not as high as in California, but still for this area they are ridiculous INSANE right now. I keep track of asking and selling prices for real estate in my neighborhood, as a hobby. We enjoy laughing in disbelief at the crazy high prices even though we have no plans to ever sell.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swguy View Post
...getting into a single story home with a great floor plan makes a big difference.
I will never live in a home w/ stairs again. I have always been against stairs anyway, but the couple places I have lived that had them...I hated it!

My Dad's house (they had it custom built in 1973) was designed with ZERO stairs ANYWHERE and all the doors (pocket) were made wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs. It was by design that they grow old in the house and as a matter of fact, my Mom took her last breath in her bed, in her dream home. She wouldn't have wanted it any other way. We are convinced that the "easy to get around" home actually kept her around a little longer.

And 5000 or 6000 square feet? Ah...that would be my nightmare!