Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When DH and I were downsizing last year, stairs were a minus because of his balance issues. In some houses, he'd see the steep stairway down to the lower level and wait upstairs while I checked it out.

We did end up with 2 levels but have 2 bedrooms on the main level (important because sometimes he can't sleep and doesn't want to disturb me). The stairway down is wide, has huge windows with lots of natural light, and had a landing midway down. To me, it's perfect; he still gets practice navigating stairs but they're safer than average.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

We are indeed fortunate to live in areas where we can finally afford the houses we truly want. In my case, I am so lucky to have found this house right before real estate in my suburb "took off". Housing prices are not as high as in California, but still for this area they are ridiculous INSANE right now. I keep track of asking and selling prices for real estate in my neighborhood, as a hobby. We enjoy laughing in disbelief at the crazy high prices even though we have no plans to ever sell.
I won't ever be tempted to sell my golf course home as prices just don't fluctuate much in my smallish town. But I may be tempted on the condo. Market prices have really gone up since I bought it 2 years ago. If values get back to where they were in 2008, might let it go. I can always lease when I want to get away for a few days.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I like my little house. It has a nice view and it's a good size. Good location with a view that will never change with development. But it's not my "dream house"

My dream house would be twice as big with a boat dock in the back yard and targets set up so I could shoot off the back porch. Never gonna happen, that's why it's a "dream house" -

When I was a child and wanted stuff that he was not going to provide, Pops told me "It's good to want things"

This house may not be my dream house but it certainly is a "good enough" house.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Our home is about 4br 2 1/2 ba 3500 sqft and our summer lake "house" is about 1100 sqft with 1 ba and 3 br. For wife and I it is great. It is a little tight when the three teenage boys are with us but the lake view is to die for. Next year we will sell the big home when the twins head off to college and will have a 2500 sqft winter home and the lake house. We have spent the last year slowly getting rid of stuff for the move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have been in Home Depot exactly once in the past four years...to buy a lightbulb.

Prior to that, when we owned our home, it was a few times a week and during renos at least every second day. Don't get hundred dollar'd to death anymore at Home Depot. Sorry guys..but I do not miss you!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I have been in Home Depot exactly once in the past four years...to buy a lightbulb.

Prior to that, when we owned our home, it was a few times a week and during renos at least every second day. Don't get hundred dollar'd to death anymore at Home Depot. Sorry guys..but I do not miss you!
Wow, it sounds like your home was a real money pit. My sympathies.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Not so much of a money pit as a multi year reno project.

Last major purchase was gallons of paint to get our house ready to sell!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Ah yes, paint, I know it well. 5 gallons up so far and me thinks I'll need at least 15 gallons more.

But I'm keeping the house and planning to enjoy the fruits of my labors -
Old 07-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Not so much of a money pit as a multi year reno project.

Last major purchase was gallons of paint to get our house ready to sell!
You're brave to have taken on a big reno project like that! Sounds like a nightmare to me.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I like my little house. It has a nice view and it's a good size. Good location with a view that will never change with development. But it's not my "dream house"

My dream house would be twice as big with a boat dock in the back yard and targets set up so I could shoot off the back porch. Never gonna happen, that's why it's a "dream house" -

When I was a child and wanted stuff that he was not going to provide, Pops told me "It's good to want things"

This house may not be my dream house but it certainly is a "good enough" house.
Here's one with a dock and over 3,000 sf, for $269K:

4620 Alba Rd, New Orleans, LA 70129 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

But, it's inside the New Orleans city limits so probably not a good place for target practice. Also, probably not really your dream home since it is not even in your state.

Your father was right about it being nice to have something to want. Well, in a sense, I understand where he was coming from.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, that is really nice and a super good price! Can't believe it's been on the market that long or that they didn't mow the lawn before the pics. Oh well.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Thanks, that is really nice and a super good price! Can't believe it's been on the market that long or that they didn't mow the lawn before the pics. Oh well.
Google maps indicates that it is in a middle of nowhere in a neighborhood of pick up trucks, Aligators and Good Old Boys.

I would rather have small place in French Quarter
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...My home was not super expensive or all "tricked out" in HGTV style...
Well, that leaves you the chance to do the "tricking out" in your style.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats for dumpin your mortgage while moving closer to family
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I will never live in a home w/ stairs again. I have always been against stairs anyway, but the couple places I have lived that had them...I hated it!

My Dad's house (they had it custom built in 1973) was designed with ZERO stairs ANYWHERE and all the doors (pocket) were made wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs. It was by design that they grow old in the house and as a matter of fact, my Mom took her last breath in her bed, in her dream home. She wouldn't have wanted it any other way. We are convinced that the "easy to get around" home actually kept her around a little longer.

And 5000 or 6000 square feet? Ah...that would be my nightmare!

Amen!
I built a 3000 sq ft home with a 1500 sq ft shop back in 2004.No stairs but waaaay to big for me.
Iam drawing up plans for a 1250 sq ft home, single level, wide doors, my plan also is to live to the end in this next house
I just need to pump myself up for this in the next couple years.
Working full time and building a house at night is just not as entertaining at this age as it was 12 years ago
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Downsizing makes a lot of sense if one keeps a sense of proportion.

Am I the only person who thinks that Tiny Houses are poor value for the money and not something that most people can endure for very long. I guess I just don't understand the appeal of a sub 300 sqft house.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Am I the only person who thinks that Tiny Houses are poor value for the money and not something that most people can endure for very long. I guess I just don't understand the appeal of a sub 300 sqft house.
DW needs a bathroom and closet bigger than 300 sqft.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'd like to see a follow-up of one of those TV shows after a couple has spent 2 or 3 years living in one to see if their minds have changed.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheulen View Post
Amen!

I built a 3000 sq ft home with a 1500 sq ft shop back in 2004.No stairs but waaaay to big for me.

I could more easily adjust to a down-sized house than give up a nice-sized shop. In truth, I've done somewhat the opposite - gone from a small house/large shop to a large house/tiny shop. I do miss the shop but not the too-small house.

Quote:

I enjoy following the tiny house movement. Even though it's not for me, there was a short time when it might have been and I give kudos to those who can pull it off. Indeed I would guess it's a short term solution for most practitioners of the lifestyle. Yet living in someone else's backyard - commonplace among tiny house dwellers - would probably have been a non-starter for me, even back in my early 20s.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Of course for a house with stairs if they are a straight shot, you can get a stair elevator. Or if building a house and you have lots of money you can do like someone I know and put a real elevator in.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote