Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What about Japan?
Yes, Japan's end result is similar in terms of the all encompassing work ethic (I suppose it's even worse), but since the Japanese culture has such a totally divergent history from western culture, I didn't include that. Especially since it doesn't have western religious origins.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I think we can find interesting work ethic parallels in each cultures movie monsters.

European monsters were often slow and ponderous and only came out at night for brief periods, and frequently found daylight frightening or harmful.

American monsters are found in the air, on land, underground and in the water. Working primarily by daylight, they're fully capable of dispatching a dozen scantily clad or showering co-eds before dinner.

Japanese monsters are the size of skyscrapers and enjoy demolishing entire cities while laughing off the pathetic attempts by the army and air force to take them out. After lunch they turn on each other for some additional citywide destruction.

All of which goes to prove that I shouldnt write any posts until my second cup of coffee.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I think we can find interesting work ethic parallels in each cultures movie monsters.....
Interesting perspective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rodan.jpg (8.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

On thinking further on the matter, it occurred to me that there arent any obvious Canadian monsters (although many american monster movies are filmed in Vancouver), and the only Mexican monster I can think of is the Chupacabra, which was recently discovered to be a dog with bad skin.

Then there is the south american Pomberro, who comes to peoples homes, steals their rum and cigarettes, and can make women pregnant by touching their tummy.

Not sure if that makes it more interesting or not.

Dave Ramsey. Religious work ethics. Monster movies. Mythical beasts. 23 posts.

Dont try this at home.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have another cup of joe Bunny! I rather enjoyed the monster posts.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I have a funny feeling it'll get worse if I drink any more caffeine.

I've been pondering whether the localized monster situation is more closely correlated with work ethic or with spending patterns.

Can I get someone to pick one of those and argue with me about it for a couple of days?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #27

Quote:
On thinking further on the matter, it occurred to me that there arent any obvious Canadian monsters (although many american monster movies are filmed in Vancouver).
Bigfoot has been sighted in Canada too so our friends up north have some claim to him, eh.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I think that the bigfoot wanted to get in on that free socialized Canadian health care system and migrated north.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #29

Quote:
I think that the bigfoot wanted to get in on that free socialized Canadian health care system and migrated north.
Is Dave Ramsey bigfoot then? Is that his retirement plan?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Far out.

Now I know why my ancestors left Europe.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...it occurred to me that there arent any obvious Canadian monsters (although many american monster movies are filmed in Vancouver)....
Americans are the Canadian monsters.

(I love it. I really do think some are frightened of me. For instance, my project managers. Snarl!)

Cheers from Cowtown, Canadistan.

Gypsy
Now taking a job away from two Canadians.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Americans are the Canadian monsters.

(I love it. I really do think some are frightened of me.)
Maybe so Ed, but judging by how they have coloured your spelling, I wonder who's winning.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Now taking a job away from two Canadians.
See? I *knew* there was some sort of 2 for 1 exchange rate.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave Ramsey deals with "normal" people. By that, I'll use Dave's definition which is broke and in debt. They also generally fall into the "clueless" camp which is why I think that he has a very low percentage of success despite the number of card cutters and "debt free" shouts on the show.

I find his show entertaining from the standpoint of how people have ended up in horrible situations usually by their own actions. They are then in some form of denial in how to get out of their trouble.

His radio audience wouldn't be able to comprehend early retirement as we discuss here. He may find himself getting more FIRE type questions on the TV show since Fox Business is attracting a more affluent crowd.