Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We built our dream home and up sized. The main house is 2,300 sq ft and is one bedroom. There is a large TV room and a larger scrap booking room for DW. Across an enclosed courtyard is the little house, a two bedroom, two bath guest quarters. It sits on a one acre lake front lot, which was DW's dream. A dream home is what you make it, down the street is a 5,000 sq ft home, and is exactly what the owner wanted. Likewise there is an 1,800 sq ft home two blocks away on the golf course, and it to is a dream home also. Most of the people in our area are retired and built their 'Dream Home'. A home that is exactly what they wanted. Dream homes are about dreams, and if you can retire and build yours, then build what you dreamed of, big or small.

Pictures are from the 'Margarita Deck'

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I'm secretly jealous of people who have a dream house - I like Santa Fe style and Tuscan and rock homes and underground homes, some low slung modern, lots of Eastlake, southern decaying mansions, urban lofts, hobbit houses....
I am not crazy about houses at all, even if they were free. My goal is small enough to keep clean easily, to avoid having to engage in the furniture arms race ( even just spending time going around looking for stuff to pick up on trash day is unappealing to me), and to have a place that looks acceptable inside and outside my apt./unit , so I don't cringe when I ask someone over.

Long time ago I visited a friend who had a couple tubs of deer hides curing in his living room. His wife was happily going about her business fixing a meal. I thought wow, what a way to live. Want to mess with deer hides, do it right in the living room. Want to rebuild your VW engine, right in the living room! No need to freeze out in the garage or under a tarp in the rain. Can look up every now and then and see your lady's pretty bottom moving about the house.

Of course, this is only one of the reasons why I am not ideal marriage material.

Ha

Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just moved into our 1320 square foot home that we started 2005, and just finished Sept. 2010. We moved from a 3000 square foot home that we now plan to rent out. It is a relief to have such low utilities - and since everything is new, we won't have to worry about repairs, for awhile at least.

My dream home is:
A small house that is energy efficient.
A few acres for privacy and quiet.
Close enough to town for services.
A culturally rich community (lots of artists!)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Of course, this is only one of the reasons why I am not ideal marriage material.

Ha
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #25

A dream home may be a trap for the average (or average high income) American, but I would be surprised if it applied to the majority on this board. We seem to know what we want & aware of the work/FI trade-offs needed to get it.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Ah yes, the cost-benefit analysis of a dream home. Obviously a personal choice. I'm currently wondering how to steer my children. Buy the most expensive house you can afford and hope it appreciates, or live cheap and simple like the ERE people, invest, and save yourself the trouble of driving up and down that freeway to work for 40 years? Hmmmm.
About ERE Early Retirement Extreme: written by Jacob Lund Fisker, Freelancer
Lot of ground between those extremes. Balance is the key.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #27

Nice looking place Rustic. Congratulations!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sort of like this Ha Ha?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 33.jpeg (30.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #29

And that could be your rental!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Something else I ponder is, are the "dreams" I have, really "my" dreams. How much of what I want was planted in me by my genes or culture? I was born into a very materialistic/commercial world and sometimes this can be very hard to decifer. For me at least, it turns out, I have great control over what I want so the logical path was minimal-simple-comfort, because it was the path of least resistance.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Sort of like this Ha Ha?
Oh yeah. I like the cooler nearby in case you get thirsty doing wheelies.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #32

My dream home is perfect for me and a guest(s) every once-in-awhile.
Just a tad under 1,500 sq. ft. with a huge bedroom for me--well, huge to me with a queen bed, cocktail table and Laz-Y-Boy in there and 2 chests--a guest room, and an office that has a desk and cabinets built-in wall to wall, 2 car garage and no grass to cut. A bonus were the high vaulted ceilings which look...well, just cool.
The real selling point was the streams/lakes throughout this community, so I just walk 1/2 block and I can paddleboat, catch and release fish or just look at the view of the lake. 1-1/2 blocks away is a swimming pool. And, yeah, there are other amenities here, but this is enough for me to be happy.
A major metro with tons to do all the time, lots of boomers in my area to talk to and low crime statistics in my area...yup, here.
But the real joy comes in knowing I bought very cheap, got a good place and just have to wait for the turn-around in the market.

It's all relative.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Buying a home that better fits your needs is not the point.

Overdoing it was the point of the post.

We will buy another home also. It will be the practical home, the dream home needs to go!
Oops typo.

Correction: Buying a home that better fits your needs is the point.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #34

Most people would consider their dream home as fitting their needs. Maybe not your needs but their needs, that's what makes it their dream home.

If you define a dream home as something you could never afford, then I see your point, but just because my dream home may be smaller/larger, plainer/grandiose, or urban/rural if it is what we can afford, and what we want, then for us it is our dream home.

I guess my point has been, ones dream home is in the eyes of the owner, not the next door neighbor.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #35

Orchid: House sounds great, Why worry about the market coming back? Doesn't sound like you will be selling anytime soon
Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

My late husband and I never went for the big "dream home". We bought a previously owned house for the princely sum of $63K (1984 dollars). We based the purchase price we could afford on only 1 income. The perfect starter house for newlyweds.
The house was in move-in condition but needed some upgrading outside (driveway, landscaping, septic system, lawn care)and a lot of TLC inside (1970s wallpaper and carpeting from h*ll ).
Over the years, we saved up and slowly transformed the place into our
"dream home". A contractor friend did the majority of the w*rk, with us
(2 engineers ) as interior designers. Yes, he is still my friend in spite of all those #@*! sticky notes I put on the walls to mark installation spots.
It is now a beautiful place, inside and out. I have no doubt it will sell quickly when Mr B and I decide to relocate.
Until then, we are living in a modest but beautifully appointed home that is
PAID FOR.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Have had various ideas of 'dream home' over the years. As I am reaching decrepitude, I am thinking of a 1 bedroom apt, not to far from someone who gives a darn and is willing to take cash.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

If you define a dream home as something you could never afford, then I see your point, but just because my dream home may be smaller/larger, plainer/grandiose, or urban/rural if it is what we can afford, and what we want, then for us it is our dream home.

People often buy more than they need (use) and the money could be best used for other purposes. This is mainly a rant about the McMansion or McTooBig Home.

However... as was stated several times... it is a personal decision.

I intend to sell ours.

Our home has some really positive attributes. Fortunately that will make it easy to unload. I am hoping to find one of those "personal decision" couples to sell them their dream home.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
...not to far from someone who gives a darn and is willing to take cash.
Ha will be along shortly to recommend you consider a kind-hearted hooker.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #40

Who gets to decide what I need? As I said, my neighbor has 5,000 sq ft, we have 2,800 and another 1,800. The neighbor with the large home can well afford it, and it is what he and his wife want. Who are we to criticize his dream. To the folks living in shanty town, I am sure our home and yours, would be more than you need. A dream home turns into a nightmare when you buy more than you can afford. When I was saving for retirement, I often bought more on price than on DW's wants needs. Now we tend to buy what we want regardless as to whether we need it or not.