Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I've decided to stay with Sling for the next several months at least. I think that the pro/con list earlier in this thread is a fair assessment but I seem to have less connection-related problems (big exception: a few dropouts during the NLDS broadcasts from TBS).

My trial is over and I find enough offerings to make it worth it to me. I learned that the freebies they offer are valid for existing subscribers, not just newcomers. What they want is for you to prepay 3 months to claim the offer. I'm curious about the Roku streaming stick, so that's what I'm going to get. I already own Roku 2 and 3 units to handle the TVs, only one of which supports HDMI.

Between that and Hulu/Amazon Prime (also OTA), I feel that my viewing options are way better than when I was shackled to Comcast TV. It's not free of course, but I think in terms of overall value-for-the-buck.

Getting lots of sports is another issue, but less important for me, but if it were I'd have a different perspective.
I got the streaming stick for my condo and it works very well. Actually like the on scream features better than what I get with my older Roku box that I use in my home.

I'm very pleased with Sling. Not perfect, but not bad for $20. I also have the sports package right now during football season for an additional $5 but will probably drop that and add the movie channels during the winter.
__________________

__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Dropped Cable TV Today
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #262
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,135
Dropped Cable TV Today

Ok. I'm the cheap Charlie here I guess. I have 3mb down. 1 mb up.

Basically cheapest package from one of the big boys in cable tv. Signed up with 10 dollars off per month for a year so I Pay 15 per month and will jump to 25 per month once the year deal is over. At that time, I'll call to cancel and they will give me 5 off for another 6-12 months.

I signed up for lowest speed because I was new to the area and heard horror stories from the others in the area. Turns out I was right - lots of line problems and Internet goes up and down a lot. Hate to pay for high speed internet that I can't use.

I'm in the country side. Called several times and had cableco technicians out to check things here. Didn't help. After 4 or 5 tries and replacing all inside house lines, modem etc. They Finally dispatched an "outside lines" tech and we struck up a chat when he arrived. Explained all the details to him and for next 8 hours I helped him trouble shoot all the outside lines - I was bored and learned something. He was a smart troubleshooter and appreciated the troubleshooting help.

We traced the line drop for my house which comes from about a mile away ! We Replaced 650 feet of underground coax in my yard that feeds to my house. We Replaced 2 older styled line drops and replaced one amplifier. He has been out twice since to just check on things. What a good dude.

All for a feed that ONLY services my house. So. Internet now works as it should !!!

So I now will maybe upgrade to 30/5!service. However in the interim I have been using a streaming TV set top box that gives me about 200 channels out of different countries, Asia . Russia. USA. Europe. A Wide variety of non typical sports. A few USA sports too. I'm not big on sports anyway, I watch mostly CNBC, discovery, bbc, cnn and those sort of channels.

Best of all: No monthly fee or subscription required. Only Internet. Been working great for past 6 months. And works fine with the 3/1 "slow" Internet.

Set top boxes do require occasional reboot ( not quite as stable as cable tv) but the channel content is entertaining in itself. They are always adding different channels too

Hooks to my tv with a hdmi cable. Can also use older Tv's with this box as long as it has the red-white-yellow audio and video inputs.

Costs 200 dollars for a 1 time hardware cost. Ping me offline if interested - was actually considering to sell these boxes as a side hustle given number of people wanting to cut the cord for good.
__________________

__________________
papadad111 is offline  
Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
.........Actually like the on scream features ........
Just in time for Halloween
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline  
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #264
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Just in time for Halloween
Make that........ screen. I don't do Halloween.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #265
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
A Sling update from one of the guinea pigs out there (me).

In general, it's worked OK but the app (I'm mostly connecting through a Roku 2) is noticeably more sluggish than others. There are occasional dropouts, but I expected that.

Last night I ran across something new to me. I'd been using it without problem earlier in the day but yesterday evening wanted to check on the Panther/Colt game through Sling/ESPN. When I navigated to the Sling app, I only received the message "You are not subscribed to any channels" (call so-and-so to subscribe). I knew that wasn't true, so I called the technical support line listed at their website. Not my choice of things to do at 9 or 10pm on a Monday night, of course. There was about a ten minute wait until someone (English-speaking) came on the line. They were able to fix it while I was on the phone with them, so in the end all was OK. But it really is a system that seems to be going through growing pains.

The guy did say they knew about Roku-specific issues that had been hitting people last night and reminded me nicely I could still connect through a mobile device (I figured that but that isn't how I want to watch TV).

I did receive my free Roku streaming stick last week but haven't had any experience yet, only enough to learn I couldn't use it through a Chromebook's HDMI port (a little bit of a disappointment, but I'm still glad to have the free stick for other use).
__________________

steelyman is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #266
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
A Sling update from one of the guinea pigs out there (me).

In general, it's worked OK but the app (I'm mostly connecting through a Roku 2) is noticeably more sluggish than others. There are occasional dropouts, but I expected that.

Last night I ran across something new to me. I'd been using it without problem earlier in the day but yesterday evening wanted to check on the Panther/Colt game through Sling/ESPN. When I navigated to the Sling app, I only received the message "You are not subscribed to any channels" (call so-and-so to subscribe). I knew that wasn't true, so I called the technical support line listed at their website. Not my choice of things to do at 9 or 10pm on a Monday night, of course. There was about a ten minute wait until someone (English-speaking) came on the line. They were able to fix it while I was on the phone with them, so in the end all was OK. But it really is a system that seems to be going through growing pains.

The guy did say they knew about Roku-specific issues that had been hitting people last night and reminded me nicely I could still connect through a mobile device (I figured that but that isn't how I want to watch TV).

I did receive my free Roku streaming stick last week but haven't had any experience yet, only enough to learn I couldn't use it through a Chromebook's HDMI port (a little bit of a disappointment, but I'm still glad to have the free stick for other use).
I had a similar situation getting a not subscribed message when I cancelled my one month Sling membership. (Membership effective til Nov 14). I'm using Amazon TV as my streaming box. I wanted to watch a program (National Geographic... live brain surgery ). I was too lazy to call tech support since I decided to not keep Sling since the only real reason I subscribed was for baseball playoffs.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,318
My OTA Tivo Roamio is working great! Thankfully, I go the life time subscription to their guide, but even at $15 a month for the guide, it is still so much cheaper than cable. And the quality of the HD TV is better!

I can't imagine going to cable. I already have more stuff to watch than I am willing to make time for between the OTA shows recorded on my Tivo and Netflix.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #268
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
A Sling update from one of the guinea pigs out there (me).

In general, it's worked OK but the app (I'm mostly connecting through a Roku 2) is noticeably more sluggish than others. There are occasional dropouts, but I expected that.

Last night I ran across something new to me. I'd been using it without problem earlier in the day but yesterday evening wanted to check on the Panther/Colt game through Sling/ESPN. When I navigated to the Sling app, I only received the message "You are not subscribed to any channels" (call so-and-so to subscribe). I knew that wasn't true, so I called the technical support line listed at their website. Not my choice of things to do at 9 or 10pm on a Monday night, of course. There was about a ten minute wait until someone (English-speaking) came on the line. They were able to fix it while I was on the phone with them, so in the end all was OK. But it really is a system that seems to be going through growing pains.

The guy did say they knew about Roku-specific issues that had been hitting people last night and reminded me nicely I could still connect through a mobile device (I figured that but that isn't how I want to watch TV).

I did receive my free Roku streaming stick last week but haven't had any experience yet, only enough to learn I couldn't use it through a Chromebook's HDMI port (a little bit of a disappointment, but I'm still glad to have the free stick for other use).
I'm sure you are familiar with the Watch ESPN app through roku. If not, you can watch all the ESPN channels in that app since you have a Sling subscription. The first attempt to do so will ask for your provider and Sling is on the list. I have found watching ESPN that way is a little more stable than through the Sling app.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #269
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My OTA Tivo Roamio is working great! Thankfully, I go the life time subscription to their guide, but even at $15 a month for the guide, it is still so much cheaper than cable. And the quality of the HD TV is better!

I can't imagine going to cable. I all ready have more stuff to watch than I am willing to make time for between the OTA shows recorded on my Tivo and Netflix.
That looks interesting but I think I read it doesn't support services like Sling. Is that correct?
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #270
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
That looks interesting but I think I read it doesn't support services like Sling. Is that correct?
Sorry, I don't know about Sling. They offer their own box (a bit expensive, IMHO) that allows streaming to portable devices, but I don't think it is the equal of Sling.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #271
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm sure you are familiar with the Watch ESPN app through roku. If not, you can watch all the ESPN channels in that app since you have a Sling subscription. The first attempt to do so will ask for your provider and Sling is on the list. I have found watching ESPN that way is a little more stable than through the Sling app.
There's only one problem with what you wrote here. You must think I am more intelligent/aware than I actually am. Ha!

I have seen the Watch ESPN channel on the Roku menu (listed separately from Sling) all along, but never put two and two together. I have this mindset that anytime the word "app" is used, it refers to something I have to grab an iPhone or Android, etc to take advantage of.

But I just tried what you suggest and you're exactly right - thanks (again!).

You have to love clearly-titled threads like this that have good participation and interest, because they contain lots of little gems like this.
__________________

steelyman is offline  
Old 11-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #272
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Since cutting cable, I've been alternating between OTA, Amazon's Firestick, and Apple TV. I think I can make this work, especially saving around $140/mo.
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #273
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
I saw an article today in Bloomberg's email newsletter about a streaming service called Pluto (never heard of it before) that wants to resemble the traditional model of watching TV that we all know so well. But, if I understand the basics of the idea, it has no appeal to me at all. I'm still thrilled with what I've gotten now!

Quote:
At a time when most Internet video services describe themselves in opposition to cable television, Pluto is trying to build a service that feels like traditional TV. Its app looks like a standard cable television guide. When users open it, whatever channel they watched last begins playing immediately. They can change channels, but they don't have the option—or, as Ryan would put it, the burden—of selecting exactly what show they want to watch, at any time they choose.
This Streaming Service Wants You to Veg Out and Channel Surf - Bloomberg Business
__________________

steelyman is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #274
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
I just went to Roku, Sling, and Free Air TV with antenna. This was driven primarily by our cable company that was unwilling to provide a "vacation" package while we toggled to our second home. Our other residence in Florida provides a one-time $28 to basically hibernate our entire cable/internet service for no monthly charge.

So in September, I turned in our cable box, and kept a basic internet service. When we got back for holiday visit this month, my wife was actually first to miss TV, mainly for background noise.

The free channels were easy with a $35 antenna. Eight channels total, and the reception is great.

The Roku Sling combination is still an experiment. I have a 7 day trial, and it seems workable. I will probably still cancel at the end of this, since we will be heading south until May.

I will probably also return my Roku to Best Buy. I bought what I thought was an "open box" Roku 3. It was $65 vs. $99 on the others. Turns out that it was a used Roku 2!! I am guessing that some genius, bought a Roku 3, then returned their old Roku 2. I can get a Roku 3 at $50 when I commit to Sling for three months in May.

All said, it is a nice alternative to cable, and I think it will allow me to suspend my account when we go to our second home.
__________________
48Fire is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #275
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
I'm still intrigued by Sling but it doesn't have DVR-like ability with live TV to pause, rewind, et cetera, or to start watching 15 minutes "late" and catch up by fast-forwarding through commercials. If it had that we'd probably have it. As it is, we did spring for Tivo service on the OTA antenna, Netflix and Hulu Plus, and we'd have Amazon Prime anyway, so basically we're coming in for about $32 per month compared to about $110 for the satellite dish. We miss a few stations, but for the most part even with a significant loss of live sporting events I wouldn't go back to paying over $100 for the traditional pay-TV model.

I'll probably "try" Sling for 7 days when it's about time for the major college bowl games to be on ESPN around the new year...
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #276
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
I have been enjoying OTA television this year, especially The Voice, recently. Although I could easily afford Netflix or Roku or other services or devices, I just don't want any of them yet.

It sounds awful to say this but so far, I have not missed any cable TV shows at all. Not even one. Overall I have not been watching TV nearly as much (which is not a bad thing).
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #277
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have been enjoying OTA television this year, especially The Voice, recently. Although I could easily afford Netflix or Roku or other services or devices, I just don't want any of them yet.

It sounds awful to say this but so far, I have not missed any cable TV shows at all. Not even one. Overall I have not been watching TV nearly as much (which is not a bad thing).
The Voice was the tipping point for my wife She will be happy again Monday.
__________________
48Fire is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #278
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm still intrigued by Sling but it doesn't have DVR-like ability with live TV to pause, rewind, et cetera, or to start watching 15 minutes "late" and catch up by fast-forwarding through commercials. If it had that we'd probably have it. As it is, we did spring for Tivo service on the OTA antenna, Netflix and Hulu Plus, and we'd have Amazon Prime anyway, so basically we're coming in for about $32 per month compared to about $110 for the satellite dish. We miss a few stations, but for the most part even with a significant loss of live sporting events I wouldn't go back to paying over $100 for the traditional pay-TV model.

I'll probably "try" Sling for 7 days when it's about time for the major college bowl games to be on ESPN around the new year...
Yeah, I will miss the DVR for sure. I am pretty obsessive about that whether it is recording a game or two, backing up to see plays, or skipping commercials.
__________________
48Fire is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #279
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Yeah, I will miss the DVR for sure. I am pretty obsessive about that whether it is recording a game or two, backing up to see plays, or skipping commercials.
I definitely use a DVR for sports. Tonight as I watch the football game, my plan is to put of some housework (dishes) until the game starts so I can do them as the game is recording. The dishes time should help me skip some commercials when I do decide to watch.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline  
Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #280
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I definitely use a DVR for sports. Tonight as I watch the football game, my plan is to put of some housework (dishes) until the game starts so I can do them as the game is recording. The dishes time should help me skip some commercials when I do decide to watch.
I would do that, too. I warned my wife we may have to stay up late to watch the basketball game.
__________________

__________________
48Fire is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropped Cable Today audreyh1 Life after FIRE 200 12-21-2014 07:48 PM
Price of gold dropped $84 /oz. today haha FIRE and Money 63 05-09-2013 09:49 PM
Wow my auto ins just dropped~ due to many folks using online functions mickeyd Other topics 6 06-18-2006 08:33 PM
Interesting! - My personal rate of inflation has dropped! Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 62 04-26-2006 03:25 AM
Lost or dropped? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 23 04-01-2006 01:22 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.