Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
The problem with going with a streaming service like Vue here is that you'll end up paying the same or more that you did with a Comcast HSI + cable sub. The reason why is that Comcast has a 300GB data cap here with a $10 per 50GB overage fee. You can easily hit that by going all-streaming + antenna. Or you can pay them $35 extra per month for the privilege of having the same unlimited data that you had before they got greedy and the FCC looked the other way. So your $65/mo. HSI bill goes to $100 + the cost of whatever streaming services you want to pay for.

The problem here is that no one has solved the HSI access issue, it's really not about the cost of TV itself. Competition and OTA takes care of TV but not HSI, in other words. Yeah this might not affect everyone, but it does affect a lot of folks.
That's probably true. For families or couples who have multiple streaming going at the same time, going over a 300gb cap will be easy. For a single guy like myself, I haven't come close to exceeding it. The last couple of years I have had Sling and Netflix and never reached 200GB in a month. Doubt I will watch much more with VUE. So its not for everyone but TV streaming is a cost effective solution for many.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
The problem with going with a streaming service like Vue here is that you'll end up paying the same or more that you did with a Comcast HSI + cable sub. The reason why is that Comcast has a 300GB data cap here with a $10 per 50GB overage fee. You can easily hit that by going all-streaming + antenna. ... At least we have Google Fiber coming but they're only cherry-picking a few areas in the ATL right now, mine is not one of them.
Fiber 1000 costs $70/month, so that's pretty much Comcast's top-level Blast service plus the $10 overage fee twice-over. Given that the new entrant into the marketplace, who is trying hard to gain market share, costs so much, apparently competition isn't affecting pricing.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #443
Give me a forum ...

The Starz App came out for Apple TV (the latest version) earlier this month for $8.99 a month through iTunes (same as Amazon). I think we'll finally start to catch up with some Starz shows that have been a few on my list for a long time.

BTW - I've been keeping an eye out for 15 to 20% off iTunes gift cards which seem to be offered Thanksgiving though Xmas and sometimes in January. Staples had 20% off up to $300 worth per customer and free shipping this past Jan.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #444
Give me a forum ...

Good news for Comcast users. Data caps to be raised for all plans starting June 1st.

A Terabyte Internet Experience
Old 04-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #445
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, Tivo has a new Roamio Over the Air, recorder that has a larger 1 TB drive and for the price ($400) includes lifetime guide service (the machine's life not yours).

The OTA Tivo makes watching free OTA television a lot nicer and easier. I especially enjoy the the ability to skip commercials on some shows. And the buffer that lets me pause a show to take a phone call, etc. Of course, it works with Netflix and Amazon, also.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #446

I was in Walmart yesterday and saw a TV that caught my eye. It is a TCL (brand), Roku 55 inch smart TV for $548. It features 4KHD, Netflix, Vudu, HBO, hulu, ESPN and Amazon streaming. Just this morning I remembered that I had taken a photo of this display at Walmart and I'm starting to wonder if this is just another TV set or if it could be the start of "cable cutting"? Don't have time now to investigate. Anyone ever ear of this?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #447

If the progress of this thread has yielded any firm indications, it is that cable cutting is a temporary consideration. The industry, as one would expect, is very clearly adapting to the new technology in such a way that the superlative advantages that folks hoped that cable cutting would someday offer are illusory, and all that cable cutting is doing is just moving the shells around in the shell game.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #448

One thing I've noticed: the streaming channels often force ads when you are watching a show.

We decided to watch the Night Manager and had missed the first two episodes on AMC.

So we watched them on the AMC app on the Apple TV. And while it was nice to easily catch up on it, they include a far amount of (none skippable) ads. Well, not a lot of ads, but rather a couple of ads that they run over and over again. It drove us crazy.

We have a low tolerance for ads after more than a decade of using TiVo.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
If the progress of this thread has yielded any firm indications, it is that cable cutting is a temporary consideration. The industry, as one would expect, is very clearly adapting to the new technology in such a way that the superlative advantages that folks hoped that cable cutting would someday offer are illusory, and all that cable cutting is doing is just moving the shells around in the shell game.
Call what you wish. All I know is the 'shell' game is saving me a lot of money.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #450
Give me a forum ...

I have successfully cut the cord and have experience a huge savings. I get my OTA TV via an antenna and I have a Recorder that I use to record and playback shows when I can watch them. My total cost for this including the DVR has been about $450 max. Needless to say, I have saved this back in about 1/2 a year. No new ongoing costs since I would be keeping Netflix with or without cable, and paying for my internet connection in any case. I am saving at least $65 a month.

One advantage I have is that I live within range of broadcasting antennas. If I did not, then I would be greatly hampered by the lack of cable TV and Internet Service competition in my area.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #451

I saved a lot of money as an early adopter of DVRs. That cost advantage is pretty much gone. If the FCC has its way, and the new STB competition ruling is implemented, that early adopter advantage will be completely gone.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #452
Give me a forum ...

IMHO, the Tivo OTA Roamio DVR makes free OTA TV very workable and convenient. IIRC, the new model comes with a slightly bigger hard drive (1 TB) and lifetime guide service (the DVR's life, not yours).
Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
IMHO, the Tivo OTA Roamio DVR makes free OTA TV very workable and convenient. IIRC, the new model comes with a slightly bigger hard drive (1 TB) and lifetime guide service (the DVR's life, not yours).
My DM has a TiVo Bolt she uses with an OTA antenna. No cable for her! The TiVo also has Netflix and Amazon Prime video which she watches as well.

Works great for her with her 1 TV. She uses her iPad with the TiVo app to watch "her morning show" during breakfast in the other room.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #454
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use an Xbox One with the media remote, ir blaster to control my TV/soundbar, and the OTA tuner. My internet is $35.00 per month and I subscribe to SlingTV for $21.00 and am an Amazon Prime subscriber. I also buy NBA League Pass and NFL Gamepass each year. Plus I have tons of movies ripped onto my PC which is running as a PLEX server for my Xbox One.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #455

Quote:
Can't speak for Tivo's DVR's but my experience using DVR's from both DISH and DirecTV for the past 10 years is that you'll be lucky to get 2 years out of it before the hard drive starts going bad. I suspect Tivo would have the same issue, should count on the need to do a hard drive replacement, probably right after the warranty expires.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Can't speak for Tivo's DVR's but my experience using DVR's from both DISH and DirecTV for the past 10 years is that you'll be lucky to get 2 years out of it before the hard drive starts going bad. I suspect Tivo would have the same issue, should count on the need to do a hard drive replacement, probably right after the warranty expires.

My discussions with TiVo owners indicates that the TiVo is very reliable. If and when the HD needs to be replaced it is an easy and not expensive option. Same for the power supply. Mine has gone nearly 3 times the warranty.

The worst decisions are made when angry or impatient.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:16 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I replaced my TiVo S3 hard drive immediately after purchase, because it was less expensive to do that than to buy a TiVo S3 with a 1TB drive installed in the factory. It had never given me an ounce of trouble over the eight plus years we used that TiVo. If you're worried about hard disk life of the stock hard drives (and don't want to do the manual work necessary to put TiVo onto a hard drive you buy), then buy your TiVo Bolt from Weaknees, making sure you select one of the options where you get a better (or bigger) hard drive.

Quote:
My discussions with TiVo owners indicates that the TiVo is very reliable. If and when the HD needs to be replaced it is an easy and not expensive option. Same for the power supply. Mine has gone nearly 3 times the warranty.
Yes, very easy, from what I've heard, though I've never needed to capitalize on the resources available, in the almost 15 years we've used TiVos.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #458
Recycles dryer sheets

18 months into cord cutting. Cable fees avoided $2,200. Costs incurred (both setup and ongoing) $875. Since I just paid the lifetime fee for my DVR programming, ongoing costs will be zero, resulting in monthly savings of $124.

I already had Netflix and Amazon Prime so I don't count that in above figures. Of course, I may subscribe to Sling TV during Football/March Madness. This would lower monthly savings to $100.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

"One thing I've noticed: the streaming channels often force ads when you are watching a show."

But there are options available to watch without advertisements. Just have to pay for them....
Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #460
Administrator

I remember back in the 1980's, when Cable TV's main allure was that they would never had ads.

It's interesting that Cable TV companies have not tried providing a higher priced ad-free option in recent years, to keep people from ditching cable. It seems as though they don't mind the latter at all.

I wonder if some cable companies' plan is to discourage cable TV and just provide cable internet to those who are streaming. Then they can raise the price on that.

I am already paying $73/month just for mid grade cable internet alone. That is one cable I can't ditch, because of the near monopoly on high speed internet access.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread