Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #501
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Thanks for your response. I'll stick with the consumer's POV.
Same. COMCA$T is evil. Long history with them. Never a give back or enticement for 20+ years of payments.
__________________

__________________
target2019 is online now  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #502
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Some of the reason that cable bills have been raised is that the content provider is raising their rates... I have seen a number of times advertisements saying 'your (whatever) channel is about to be cut' due to the cable operator not wanting to pay us more money... it is not always that they want to have higher profits....

I get a ton of channels that I never watch and never want to watch.... they might be 25 cents each, heck, even 10 cents each (I do not think any are this cheap), but that is money that I would rather not spend if I did not have to....


About income... I am saying that having more discretionary income is not a good reason to spend more on a cable bill... IOW, more income does not equate to wanting to pay higher bills.... and that the higher bill is now a bargain because it is a smaller percent of your discretionary income...

A higher bill is just a higher bill... period...


That unfortunately is a very key point...Cable provider plays hard ball to contain cost, affected company then goes on airwaves telling consumer that cable company X is about to drop them and tell consumers to call and complain..Cable company caves from protests from consumer, then passes on increased costs and consumer then howls about that.
Its like health insurance to a certain degree. We (me included) complain about insurance bill when the escalating costs are coming from other sources that are just passed on through insurance carrier.
And yes, I admit I complain about both and always will I suppose. And yet, will still pay. I hate my escalating cable bill...But then I divide it by 30 days and factor in the use and decide I will keep it because on a relative daily basis it still is cheap entertainment for me.
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #503
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Some of the reason that cable bills have been raised is that the content provider is raising their rates... I have seen a number of times advertisements saying 'your (whatever) channel is about to be cut' due to the cable operator not wanting to pay us more money... it is not always that they want to have higher profits....
There are actually a string of parties involved: Cable company, broadcast network, distributor, production company, talent. However, what they all want is their piece of the pie, a pie who's size is dictated by how much it is worth to a typical viewer to have that X hours of entertainment rather than not having it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I get a ton of channels that I never watch and never want to watch.... they might be 25 cents each, heck, even 10 cents each (I do not think any are this cheap), but that is money that I would rather not spend if I did not have to....
You can go forward considering that you're only paying for the channels you want, and you're getting the rest included for free, because operationally that is your reality. It was well-established a decade or so ago, through comparisons to C-Band subscriptions, that when they are offered via retail a la carte, channels generally cost an order of magnitude higher than when bundled into a large basic package. You can get a good idea, today, how much a typical channel would cost by checking out the a la carte price for HBO. Figure TNT, USA and FX would cost about 5% less; Syfy, AMC, A&E, would cost about 10% less; etc. If you watch more than six channels within a month, then you're better off with bundle pricing. It is an eye-opener for folks to realize how many channels they casually watch without realizing it, and therefore how readily the trip over that six channels mark.

By the same token, if you really only watch three or four channels, then, just like my neighbor who uses the Internet for only reading textual email, you're subsidizing the cost of the service for heavier users of the service.

The core message - and folks are realizing this by looking at trends in the cost of streaming, and the proliferation of services one will need to subscribe to in order to replace what they get from cable - is that there is a certain amount of discretionary income available for the industry to earn, and it will structure itself, and adapt itself to changes, to earn that amount of income - to exact roughly that much money from consumers - regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
About income... I am saying that having more discretionary income is not a good reason to spend more on a cable bill...
My point was that it generally does dictate how much typical consumers spend on cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
IOW, more income does not equate to wanting to pay higher bills....
Nothing equates to "wanting" to pay higher bills. That line of reasoning makes no sense to me. When do you want to pay higher bills for the sake of higher bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
She lives a few miles from us in a established subdivision and Comcast is the ONLY PROVIDER of cable services. Speak about a monopoly.
Meanwhile, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the experts who's job it is to determine whether it is a monopoly or not have determined instead that there is effective competition for subscription television service in that area that your DD lives. It may seem like a monopoly to consumers, but in reality, in accordance with the law that actually defines what is and is not a monopoly, it is not.
__________________
bUU is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #504
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Nothing equates to "wanting" to pay higher bills. That line of reasoning makes no sense to me. When do you want to pay higher bills for the sake of higher bills?
We live in the Eagle Ford oil patch in South Texas. Given what the crash in oil prices did to the local economy and the jobs of a lot of people I know, yeah, I'd personally prefer to pay $2.50 for a gallon of gas than $1.50, at least if it means jobs and local business here aren't going away and some that have left would come back. I recognize that this isn't shared by most people (since most people don't live where oil and gas are critical industries), but even though I do not directly benefit from the oil business here, in our area, and in *my* specific situation, a higher bill at the pumps is worth paying.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #505
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We live in the Eagle Ford oil patch in South Texas. Given what the crash in oil prices did to the local economy and the jobs of a lot of people I know, yeah, I'd personally prefer to pay $2.50 for a gallon of gas than $1.50, at least if it means jobs and local business here aren't going away and some that have left would come back. I recognize that this isn't shared by most people (since most people don't live where oil and gas are critical industries), but even though I do not directly benefit from the oil business here, in our area, and in *my* specific situation, a higher bill at the pumps is worth paying.
+1

I'm in the same boat as you - won't directly benefit from higher oil/gas prices but would be happy to pay more to see a better employment situation in the oil patch.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #506
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
... The perspective I've shared is more akin to how a journalist reporting the issue in a balanced way would characterize things...

... you have to admit, at least, that if no one prosecutes the matter, then nothing is going to change to make things better for consumers.
Well, so much for being an objective journalist and his attempt to present the issue in a balanced way.

note: highlights by redduck
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #507
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We live in the Eagle Ford oil patch in South Texas. Given what the crash in oil prices did to the local economy and the jobs of a lot of people I know, yeah, I'd personally prefer to pay $2.50 for a gallon of gas than $1.50, at least if it means jobs and local business here aren't going away and some that have left would come back.I recognize that this isn't shared by most people (since most people don't live where oil and gas are critical industries), but even though I do not directly benefit from the oil business here, in our area, and in *my* specific situation, a higher bill at the pumps is worth paying.
It isn't paying higher bills you want - it's the economic vitality that you want.

And we can be sure that the people who have family reliant on cable industry income probably feel the same way about paying higher cable bills that you feel about paying higher gasoline prices. I personally would prefer that you would feel that way about what my company does, which isn't either cable or gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Well, so much for being an objective journalist and his attempt to present the issue in a balanced way.
Just because what I highlighted doesn't fit your personal preferences doesn't mean it isn't objective. The fact that it doesn't fit my personal preferences indicates that it is more likely that it is.

So let's stop with the nonsense. If you want to try to prove that I have a bias, then first establish why I would have a bias. The reality is that there is no reason for me to have a bias in favor of the industry. My only relevant bias is a fervent intention to keep discussions regarding this industry balanced rather than incurring the lack of clarity about why thing are the way they are consequent of a consumer-biased discussion.
__________________
bUU is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #508
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So let's stop with the nonsense.
So you plan on moving on to another subject, seeing as how absolutely no one is agreeing with your point of view?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #509
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,906
Several posters have been very clear that this isn't a matter of disagreement but simply a matter that they are consumer-biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Thanks for your response. I'll stick with the consumer's POV.
Regardless, why would other people's agreement matter one way or the other? The fact that everyone else is promoting a strictly-consumer-biased perspective makes my contributions all-the-more relevant. If anything, there's a lot of duplication being offered by other posters, because so many of them happen to share that same bias. It wouldn't really make sense to "move onto" another subject until everyone else does.
__________________
bUU is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #510
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The fact that everyone else is promoting a strictly-consumer-biased perspective makes my contributions all-the-more relevant.
To you, without a doubt.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #511
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,906
No. Relevant altogether. Can we stop with the meta-discussion, please? Let's stick to the topic, rather than discussing the discussion. Thanks.
__________________
bUU is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #512
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Meanwhile, I'll bet dollars to donuts that the experts who's job it is to determine whether it is a monopoly or not have determined instead that there is effective competition for subscription television service in that area that your DD lives. It may seem like a monopoly to consumers, but in reality, in accordance with the law that actually defines what is and is not a monopoly, it is not.
A who might these "experts" be that make a determination as to who gets service from whom? She lives in a residential area with hundreds of homes, all stuck with Comca$t.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #513
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A who might these "experts" be?
FCC commissioners and their staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
She lives in a residential area with hundreds of homes, all stuck with Comca$t.
And DirecTV and Dish Network.

Again: Not my preference. Just the way things actually are - the way these matters have been determined by the government agency charged with making the decision.
__________________
bUU is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #514
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
FCC commissioners and their staff.
One of literally hundreds if not thousands of examples:
Quote:
4. The first prong of this test has three elements: the franchise area must be “served by” at
least two unaffiliated MVPDs who offer “comparable programming” to at least “50 percent” of the
households in the franchise area.7 It is undisputed that the Communities are “served by” both DBS
providers, DIRECTV and DISH, and that these two MVPD providers are unaffiliated with Petitioner or
with each other. A franchise area is considered “served by” an MVPD if that MVPD’s service is both
technically and actually available in the franchise area. DBS service is presumed to be technically
available due to its nationwide satellite footprint, and presumed to be actually available if households in
the franchise area are made reasonably aware of the service's availability.8 The Commission has held that
a party may use evidence of penetration rates in the franchise area (the second prong of the competing
provider test discussed below) coupled with the ubiquity of DBS services to show that consumers are
reasonably aware of the availability of DBS service.9 We further find that Petitioner has provided
sufficient evidence to support its assertion that potential customers in the Communities are reasonably
aware that they may purchase the service of these MVPD providers.10 The “comparable programming”
element is met if a competing MVPD provider offers at least 12 channels of video programming,
including at least one channel of nonbroadcast service programming,11 and is supported in this petition
with copies of channel lineups for both DIRECTV and DISH.12 Also undisputed is Petitioner’s assertion
that both DIRECTV and DISH offer service to at least “50 percent” of the households in the Communities
because of their national satellite footprint.13 Accordingly, we find that the first prong of the competing
provider test is satisfied.
5. The second prong of the competing provider test requires that the number of households
subscribing to MVPDs, other than the largest MVPD, exceeds 15 percent of the households in a franchise
area. Petitioner asserts that it is the largest MVPD in the Communities.14 Petitioner sought to determine
the competing provider penetration in the Communities by purchasing a subscriber tracking report from
the Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association that identified the number of subscribers
attributable to the DBS providers within the Communities on a zip code plus four basis.15

...

Based on the foregoing, we conclude
that Petitioner has submitted sufficient evidence demonstrating that both prongs of the competing
provider test are satisfied and Petitioner is subject to effective competition in the Communities listed on
Attachment A.

...

III. ORDERING CLAUSES
7. Accordingly, IT IS ORDERED that the petition for a determination of effective
competition filed in the captioned proceeding by Comcast Cable Communications, LLC, IS GRANTED.
8. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the certification to regulate basic cable service rates
granted to any of the Communities set forth on Attachment A IS REVOKED.
9. This action is taken pursuant to delegated authority pursuant to Section 0.283 of the
Commission’s rules.17
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
Steven A. Broeckaert
Senior Deputy Chief, Policy Division, Media Bureau

https://www.fcc.gov/document/comcast...competition-md
__________________
bUU is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #515
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Same here. Maybe this year it will be worth the money! Go Mariners!
I don't want to drop cable now since we are in 1st place. Go M's!!
__________________
supernova72 is offline  
Old 05-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #516
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,802
Thanks for your discussion.

__________________

__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropped Cable Today audreyh1 Life after FIRE 200 12-21-2014 07:48 PM
Price of gold dropped $84 /oz. today haha FIRE and Money 63 05-09-2013 09:49 PM
Wow my auto ins just dropped~ due to many folks using online functions mickeyd Other topics 6 06-18-2006 08:33 PM
Interesting! - My personal rate of inflation has dropped! Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 62 04-26-2006 03:25 AM
Lost or dropped? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 23 04-01-2006 01:22 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.