Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Here's one person's review of the Sling TV:
Review: Sling TV - TechBlog
I'm spoiled with pausing a game on my DVR. That is so convenient to chase play a game. Let the game record for about an hour, then advance past the commercials and half-time to catch up to the live game near the end.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Aren't cable subscribers lucky!!!!

Another reason to use an antenna and get TV for free, if it's possible.

Quote:
Reruns of Seinfeld, Friends, and other shows are getting the rapid playback treatment on top pay-TV networks like TNT and TBS, and most people are none the wiser. And even movie classics are being sped up, as one expert on The Wizard of Oz noticed during a recent airing on TBS.
Cable Channels Speed Up TV Shows To Cram In More Ads – Consumerist

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

OMG!!!!

That's disgusting!!! (and you have to say that with the accent of the B&B owner we encountered in Whitby England. Thet's des-GOOOOO-stang!)

I will stick with movie watching via stream for sure.

Hey - they're losing subscribers, so they have to show more commercials to the ones remaining so they still make as much money!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

I love the fact that with no cable TV, I have so much time for other types of entertainment that do not have commercials.

Not subjecting myself to so many commercials has been way more uplifting than I would ever have thought. Also, not watching so much of the so-called "news" had been uplifting as well. Much of the so-called news (regardless of TV source or political bias) in recent years has seemed more and more like a bunch of scare stories, stories that it does not serve me well to obsess upon. The news just isn't what it used to be.

Not only is the lack of cable TV uplifting, but also I have more time now to explore other interests. My retirement is more enjoyable to me this way than it was. I still have no problems with boredom at all. And, I have $110/month extra due to my lower cable bills, that I can blow on do-dads from Amazon or whatever.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I love the fact that with no cable TV, I have so much time for other types of entertainment that do not have commercials.

Not subjecting myself to so many commercials has been way more uplifting than I would ever have thought. Also, not watching so much of the so-called "news" had been uplifting as well. Much of the so-called news (regardless of TV source or political bias) in recent years has seemed more and more like a bunch of scare stories, stories that it does not serve me well to obsess upon. The news just isn't what it used to be.

Not only is the lack of cable TV uplifting, but also I have more time now to explore other interests. My retirement is more enjoyable to me this way than it was. I still have no problems with boredom at all.
Ditto, W2R!!!

We definitely feel more uplifted. The quality of programming we watch had soared. It's very enjoyable now.

And I don't regret cutting out TV news entirely. What a relief!!!!

We did a little internet radio streaming of Bloomberg via iPhone in the car the other day (DH needed to charge his iPhone), and all I kept muttering was "that's ridiculous"!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Woohoo! HBO announced today at the Apple Event availability on AppleTV starting April, no cable subscription required. Their entire lineup will be available.

Subscription price is $14.99 per month, and if you sign up in April you get the first month free. I expects it's like the other subscriptions in that you can stop and resume any month.

So HBO fans, here it is.

Now, I want my STARZ! I expect that will be available soon - they'll follow HBO I expect.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/9/8176261/apple-tv-hbo
Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess that means I can catch up in game of thrones

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I guess that means I can catch up in game of thrones

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Yes, the new subscription service is timed to coincide with the new Game of Thrones season. And, of course, you can watch all the old ones.

AppleTV or iPhone/iPad only for now. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before other devices come online.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
AppleTV or iPhone/iPad only for now. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before other devices come online.
I was wondering about that. This might not work for us as we have an apple TV but no TV (got rid of it in downsizing) and I'd prefer not to watch on my iPad.

Maybe there's a way to drive the screen on an iMac from the apple tv.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was wondering about that. This might not work for us as we have an apple TV but no TV (got rid of it in downsizing) and I'd prefer not to watch on my iPad.

Not that I know of. Do you have an iPad?

We prefer to watch HD programming on a large HD TV screen. I don't care to watch programming on my laptop. We would never consider eliminating the theater screen even though we've done considerable downsizing over the years.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

BTW - we've been without cable for over a year now. And the quality of the programming we watch has taken a huge leap up! I don't remember ever enjoying content as much as we are now. Really great stuff, and eliminated most of the crap, news, ads, etc. as well as any scheduling conflicts!!!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #112

For Tivo users - they sent email out today saying Amazon Prime would be available on their next software release (deployed in the next day or so). This is a big deal since Prime and Tivo were not playing nice with each other before.

Woo hoo free streaming Prime content on my tivo... no more fighting the chromecast issues like I have been.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #113

Quote:
Not that I know of. Do you have an iPad?

We prefer to watch HD programming on a large HD TV screen. I don't care to watch programming on my laptop. We would never consider eliminating the theater screen even though we've done considerable downsizing over the years.
We do have a couple iPads but i feel like they are too small to watch tv shows together.

We've downsized to one car so we had to get rid of our gorgeous plasma tv (cry) and nobody makes plasma anymore. The plan was to get a huge screen once we get a more permanent place.

We have thought about getting a small projector so that may be an option.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We do have a couple iPads but i feel like they are too small to watch tv shows together.

We've downsized to one car so we had to get rid of our gorgeous plasma tv (cry) and nobody makes plasma anymore. The plan was to get a huge screen once we get a more permanent place.

We have thought about getting a small projector so that may be an option.
It gets real cozy, but we've watched shows together on my iPad retina OK.

Yeah, if you don't have a house, a theater is not an option.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #115

I have "Ultra" Internet 50/25 for $65 a month, no double or triple play, Netflix, and MagicJack for the phone. When I ordered only Internet they grilled me several times that I need triple play. Told them no thanks.

To my surprise the cable has basic channels on it. Guess they forgot to block them.

For recording TV I have a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR which does 1080i in h.264. Also a TV tuner that has component out (Red, Green, Blue).
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Woohoo! HBO announced today at the Apple Event availability on AppleTV starting April, no cable subscription required. Their entire lineup will be available.

Subscription price is $14.99 per month, and if you sign up in April you get the first month free. I expects it's like the other subscriptions in that you can stop and resume any month.

So HBO fans, here it is.

Now, I want my STARZ! I expect that will be available soon - they'll follow HBO I expect.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/9/8176261/apple-tv-hbo

Or you can use Bittorrent (with a proxy). Not that I would ever consider doing that...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
Or you can use Bittorrent (with a proxy). Not that I would ever consider doing that...
I don't think that runs on AppleTV which displays on our big TV screen directly. We prefer not to have any of our computers in the way of the stream.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I don't think that runs on AppleTV which displays on our big TV screen directly. We prefer not to have any of our computers in the way of the stream.

I don't use AppleTV myself, but there do appear to be some BT options for it: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/07...rent-apple-tv/
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #119

Quote:
What you want is to be able to display AirPlay output on to your iMac from your iPad.

Here are two options:

AirServer - AirPlay receiver for Mac OS X and Windows PC
Reflector Airplay Receiver - Mirror an iPhone or iPad to a Mac, PC or Android

I can't vouch for either, but people seem to like them.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
I don't use AppleTV myself, but there do appear to be some BT options for it: How to stream torrents to your Apple TV, no jailbreak needed
I think I'll avoid BitTorrent.