Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Dropped Cable TV Today
Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dropped Cable TV Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I am among the sports fan crowd. I don't feel I've missed an inning of baseball this season because of realtime score updates through the MLB AtBat app.

If it was a game I really, really wanted to see "live"... I've been known to frequent sports bars.

Steely did you ever consider buying the MLB package and watch the games online? Or is your favorite team a local one? NBA, MLB and NHL offer online, but NFL will not. So that is really what tethers me to satellite still. I would just go internet and buy sports packages if I could get NFL and knew for sure that I wouldn't go over my monthly internet limit and get smacked with overage use fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

We don't care to watch sports.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Steely did you ever consider buying the MLB package and watch the games online? Or is your favorite team a local one? NBA, MLB and NHL offer online, but NFL will not. So that is really what tethers me to satellite still. I would just go internet and buy sports packages if I could get NFL and knew for sure that I wouldn't go over my monthly internet limit and get smacked with overage use fees.

I knew about the MLB packages a while ago and thought about it but decided I didn't pay attention that much, just enough. Playoffs, World Series and Super Bowl are different, of course.

I don't even really need instant updates, actually. One year I was driving from IL to the Outer Banks for a mid-Sept vacation. It was a "hot year", baseball-wise. The Cubs and Cards were locked in a battle for first place in the division (maybe '89?). That's like BOS-NYY. There was a big weekend series at Wrigley and I chose a pretty but awful route with almost no radio reception.

The beach house we had barely had TV (that is, it didn't). But I got quickly used to walking to the pier in the morning, getting some coffee and the newspaper for the good old-fashioned way of getting the latest scores. Other people at the pier chatted baseball. I really enjoyed it!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

What streaming device would work best for watching live sports streams that are on USGA.org and Masters.org? Currently, I hook the HDMI port of my laptop up to my Plasma TV to do this since it's only an occasional need, but if I buy a "cable cutting" streaming solution I'd like to have it handle this use case too. PBS.org would be another website I'd like to be able to access.

I'm still waiting to test an OTA antenna on the roof. I'm in the "need my live sports" fix group. Currently cable + internet bill is at $97/month for basic channels in HD, one DVR, and 30ish Mbps internet access. In our area the local phone company (Frontier) may have finally woken to the fact that their future lies with DSL and since they can't compete on speed, they are starting to offer what I think is a fair price on their 10Mbps DSL service.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Dropped Cable TV Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I knew about the MLB packages a while ago and thought about it but decided I didn't pay attention that much, just enough. Playoffs, World Series and Super Bowl are different, of course.

I don't even really need instant updates, actually. One year I was driving from IL to the Outer Banks for a mid-Sept vacation. It was a "hot year", baseball-wise. The Cubs and Cards were locked in a battle for first place in the division (maybe '89?). That's like BOS-NYY. There was a big weekend series at Wrigley and I chose a pretty but awful route with almost no radio reception.

The beach house we had barely had TV (that is, it didn't). But I got quickly used to walking to the pier in the morning, getting some coffee and the newspaper for the good old-fashioned way of getting the latest scores. Other people at the pier chatted baseball. I really enjoyed it!

I am with you on baseball. I follow it daily through the local newspaper and articles about the previous nights game. I just do not like to watch the daily 162 grind. Hockey and Football however I enjoy watching the regular season games.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm next in line. I have a triple pay package so I have to see if the contract is up. Then it's hats hasta la vista baby

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-12-2015, 01:05 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
What streaming device would work best for watching live sports streams that are on USGA.org and Masters.org? ... PBS.org would be another website I'd like to be able to access.
Both usga.org and masters.com can be viewed on the iPad or iPhone and sent to the Apple TV using AirPlay if you want to view on a large screen.

PBS has a channel on the Apple TV.

Google's Chromecast works in a similar way (from Android phones and tablets) - you send the video to a Chromecast device which plugs into a HDMI port.

One thing to watch out for: I was watching a series on the PBS channel on our AppleTV and after watching a couple of episodes, took some time off from it. I came back to it after a few weeks and they had "rotated it off" - I couldn't finish watching the series. I'm used to TiVo which keeps things around until you want them deleted, so this caught be off guard.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Both usga.org and masters.com can be viewed on the iPad or iPhone and sent to the Apple TV using AirPlay if you want to view on a large screen.

pbs.org has an channel on the Apple TV.

Google's Chromecast works in a similar way (from Android phones and tablets) - you send the video to a Chromecast device which plugs into a HDMI port.

One thing to watch out for: I was watching a series on the PBS channel on our AppleTV and after watching a couple of episodes, took some time off from it. I came back to it after a few weeks and they had "rotated it off" - I couldn't finish watching the series. I'm used to TiVo which keeps things around until you want them deleted, so this caught be off guard.

It appears it is getting closer to cutting the cord even if you are a sports watcher. But it still isn't quite there yet for a more comprehensive watcher such as myself. If everything can eventually get there, then I will probably be whacked with some overuse policy. They want to grab you by the short hairs no matter which way you want to save a buck. NBA is going to a package method to allow you to watch one team instead of whole league. So logic would indicate the cost would be about 1/15 of the price (watching 2 teams instead of 30). Well that would be wrong. They are hinting the price will be about 75% of the entire package. Wow, big savings!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm a sports fan, but not enough of a sports fan to spend over $100 a month just to watch sports. That said a lot of the cable networks are getting more and more into original programming and new series that seem interesting, and that seems to be their response to cable-cutting. There isn't much of a profit model in just syndicating old shows any more, since a Roku box with Hulu, Netflix and/or Amazon Prime can usually meet that need for cable cutters and dish ditchers.

I am intrigued by Sling but the lack of pause/rewind or lack of recently archived content on many of the channels is currently stopping me. If those were resolved, I'd probably be in for it. I am too spoiled by a DVR and the ability to pause, rewind and FF most content on Roku.
I'm a big sports fan so I get the double play bundle from Comcast for $100 a month. 75Mb HSI + all cable channels + HBO. Given that HSI alone costs more than $60 a month, I consider the cable cost well worth it. And I get to use a Tivo which is far superior to Comcast's DVR and also allows us to stream a bunch of stuff too if we want (can access Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Hulu etc.). Plus Comcast On Demand. Plus watching DVR'd shows is so much better than having to sit through commercials and put up with the other streaming limitations you mentioned.

Every time my promo expires I just call them up, select the cancel/downgrade service option, then get some retention rep that can offer me the new customer deal. Hasn't failed me yet in the over 10 years that I've had them.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I took steps on Friday to cut the cord. We really like our DVR and a number of mainstream programs but the $100/mo cable bill is really high. Here's the new set-up -

- Tablo OTA DVR
- 2 tb Hard Drive
- OTA Antenna (have a $20 one from Best Buy that works great)
- Roku's (2 Roku 2 units and 1 Roku Streaming Stick)

We will get all the OTA channels, Netflix and Sling TV. Our cost/mo should go down to $25/mo (save $900/year). We still get to record all of our favorite shows, wife gets HGTV, I get ESPN and all of the Vikings games. My biggest regret is missing out on hockey. First year cost of $450 for hardware has a 6 month payback.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

Thanks for the information. I have a follow up question; if I'm streaming the Masters on my iPad (don't own one yet) and sending that to my Apple TV (don't own one yet!), can I still browse other websites and play games on the iPad at the same time? That is one of the hangups with using my laptop's HDMI port today. It works fine, but it ties up my laptop to perform the tv tuner function.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
I took steps on Friday to cut the cord. We really like our DVR and a number of mainstream programs but the $100/mo cable bill is really high. Here's the new set-up -

- Tablo OTA DVR
- 2 tb Hard Drive
- OTA Antenna (have a $20 one from Best Buy that works great)
- Roku's (2 Roku 2 units and 1 Roku Streaming Stick)

We will get all the OTA channels, Netflix and Sling TV. Our cost/mo should go down to $25/mo (save $900/year). We still get to record all of our favorite shows, wife gets HGTV, I get ESPN and all of the Vikings games. My biggest regret is missing out on hockey. First year cost of $450 for hardware has a 6 month payback.

Congrats on cutting the cord.

Looks like you have a nice set up. Did you place the antenna outdoors or just by a window or up in the attic?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
I'm a big sports fan so I get the double play bundle from Comcast for $100 a month. 75Mb HSI + all cable channels + HBO.
Every time my promo expires I just call them up, select the cancel/downgrade service option, then get some retention rep that can offer me the new customer deal. Hasn't failed me yet in the over 10 years that I've had them.
Do you get ESPN, TBS & FoxSports1? Do you get them in HD? I am paying $96 for just the basic channels in HD (none of the above) and slower internet. If my bill was ~$100 a month, but it included those necessary sports tier channels, then I would view it as a fair deal. After all, roughly 1/2 the monthly cost is for broadband service. Perhaps I need to become a better negotiator!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #154

We have generally dropped all land lines and cable/satellite TV at all our places. Really a no brainer. The thing I wonder about though is won't the telco's just jack up their internet fees to make up their revenue shortfalls? I own a lot of telco stock and figure this might be a good reason to keep them.
I suspect we will always be caught in the trap of initial benefits (lower cost more convenience) morphing into higher cost models once the cost to switch gets high enough? Hard to keep ahead of these guys.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Congrats on cutting the cord.

Looks like you have a nice set up. Did you place the antenna outdoors or just by a window or up in the attic?
I was actually going to go with a fancy outdoor model but on a whim tried a cheap one on the floor of the bedroom and it brought in 30 channels even though we are 25 miles away from the source. Picture quality seemed identical to cable from the naked eye.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
I was actually going to go with a fancy outdoor model but on a whim tried a cheap one on the floor of the bedroom and it brought in 30 channels even though we are 25 miles away from the source. Picture quality seemed identical to cable from the naked eye.
Nice. As long as you get a good reception.

I have an antenna, indoor on a stand and pole facing out my balcony window.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #157

W've had cord cut for 4 years now. We had rabbit ears setup for a several years, but in stormy weather the signal would pixelate terribly, or just go out. We finally installed a rooftop antenna this spring and the difference is significant. Solid consistent signal for all channels but one, where trees in summer leaf will sort of interfere with that signal. No way I'm going back to the cord or sat signal. And I keep hearing about the cable companies now wanting to enter the streaming TV service. Just this morning I heard comcast is going to enter the fray. But I know what they want to do is dominate and control pricing like they do with cable today.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #158

For you who don't have cable TV, what service do you use for internet? I am planning to cut cable TV and the landline, but I do need internet and don't want to pay a "single play" Comcast cost for it. I've heard of earthlink and others but can't seem to find anyone who uses them. In short, what cheap alternatives, if any, are out there for internet only?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We have generally dropped all land lines and cable/satellite TV at all our places. Really a no brainer. The thing I wonder about though is won't the telco's just jack up their internet fees to make up their revenue shortfalls? I own a lot of telco stock and figure this might be a good reason to keep them.
I suspect we will always be caught in the trap of initial benefits (lower cost more convenience) morphing into higher cost models once the cost to switch gets high enough? Hard to keep ahead of these guys.
That's what I wonder about too. Providers will follow the market demand and create new demand. We, as customers, can get the best value by regularly reevaluating what is important to us.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #160
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
For you who don't have cable TV, what service do you use for internet? I am planning to cut cable TV and the landline, but I do need internet and don't want to pay a "single play" Comcast cost for it. I've heard of earthlink and others but can't seem to find anyone who uses them. In short, what cheap alternatives, if any, are out there for internet only?
I don't know of any cheap high speed internet options here.

I am paying $66.99/month for cable internet from Cox. Still, I was paying nearly $200/month to Cox when cable TV was included, so the savings is significant.

As for the discussion of OTA channels, I get just short of 30 channels clearly and quite a few more if I am willing to fiddle with my homemade indoor antenna that rests just behind my TV (on the same table). I get all of the major networks and local channels clearly. I wouldn't get this many channels if I was living in rural Louisiana, for example, instead of living in New Orleans. To me the availability of OTA television channels at any given retirement location is just another plus or minus that might influence one when choosing a retirement location.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread