Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

... icon... a little embarrassed...

I rationalize this way... a full year of connection to everything, for less than the cost of a three day cruise (that we don't want to take, and wouldn't enjoy).

Senility has its own rewards.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
... icon... a little embarrassed...

I rationalize this way... a full year of connection to everything, for less than the cost of a three day cruise (that we don't want to take, and wouldn't enjoy).

Senility has its own rewards.
Why be embarrassed? It's your choice.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

WARNING! This will not work for you as I live on a mountaintop! But...

I have two antennae in my attic. Each points to a different big city. Then they combine and feed into my house wiring. You can read online that two antennae have a degraded signal. But for me, it is not much. Last time I scanned, I picked up 77 channels. I am currently watching a station that is about 100 miles away. Most of the HD channels I watch are more than 50 miles away. Last night I tuned in a station that comes from a city 200 miles away. I know, the curvature of the Earth won't allow it, but there it was. Obviously, weather will not allow these 150 plus mile away stations to come in very frequently, but it is amazing.

I use TitanTV and TabloTV for programming (www.titantv.com). Other than the two antennae, I have the same hardware setup as Fishingmn - Roku's and TabloTV. We have 7 TV's hooked up (two Roku's).

The picture quality is far superior to cable. It did take some work and I have invested maybe $500 in hardware, but I am saving $125 a month in cable bills. I still have a land line and internet through the cable provider.

I cut the cord in November. I love college and pro football. Don't know if I can do with only having 15 to 20 games a weekend. May have to go with Sling during season.

We mostly watch Netflix and TabloTV recordings. Find that I don't miss the cable news stations (MSNBC, FOX, CNBC). Don't miss the profanity and nudity on cable. We have access to enough romance, drama, hunky men shows to satisfy my DW's emotional needs (?). Oh, TabloTV allows streaming wirelessly so DW can watch "her shows" (Bomb Girls, Blue Bloods, Downton Abbey, Drop Dead Divas and a whole host of NCIS hunks) on her tablet while she dreamily drifts off to sleep.

Instead of the cable music stations, I do Pandora and YouTube. Am currently listening to Blackfoot - Highway Song.

I must have too much time on my hands.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Its the MSNBC, CNBC that is stopping me from cutting, wish they would figure out a way to live stream or be part of the local package...kind of ridiculous since HBO and SHOWTIME have figured it out. I have everything else covered.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

We dropped cable TV a few months ago and I am surprised how little we miss it. We used to watch TV a lot, 5+ hours a day, and I thought that after dropping cable we would be watching a constant stream of Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, etc... I had even purchased a HDTV antenna to get OTA local channels. But we actually just stopped watching TV almost entirely - and with the TV staying off, there has been a noticeable drop in our electric bill too!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post

I use TitanTV and TabloTV for programming (www.titantv.com). ...
Question - does TitanTV provide a convenient method to schedule the TableTV without paying a monthly fee? I see that TitanTV has a 'Record This Program" button that will create a little text file on the computer. Do you just transfer these files to the drive on the TabloTV?

I'm currently using a Mediasonics PVR, which is limited, clunky interface, and somewhat glitchy. But it is cheap ($35 - add your own hard drive), does no compression so the picture quality is perfect, and it gets the job done for me. But I'd consider a step up if I can avoid a monthly fee.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-.../dp/B00I2ZBD1U

-ERD50
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not much of a sports junkie at all, but we all enjoy March Madness which had been for years available OTA on CBS. To my dismay, next year most all of it will be only on TBS. I see that Sling carries TBS, so I think we have that problem solved. I doubt that we will keep Sling very long, but being able to flip it on and off monthly is nice.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Question - does TitanTV provide a convenient method to schedule the TableTV without paying a monthly fee? I see that TitanTV has a 'Record This Program" button that will create a little text file on the computer. Do you just transfer these files to the drive on the TabloTV?

I'm currently using a Mediasonics PVR, which is limited, clunky interface, and somewhat glitchy. But it is cheap ($35 - add your own hard drive), does no compression so the picture quality is perfect, and it gets the job done for me. But I'd consider a step up if I can avoid a monthly fee.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-.../dp/B00I2ZBD1U

-ERD50

I use TitanTV with a Hauppage 1250 TV capture card on my PC. It works flawlessly. You click the record button which automatically coordinates with my hauppage software to schedule the recording. Once I set it, it will record and save to a folder of my choice. I then use an editing program to autodetect commercials and remove those, too. It works just like a DVR
Old 07-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We have generally dropped all land lines and cable/satellite TV at all our places. Really a no brainer. The thing I wonder about though is won't the telco's just jack up their internet fees to make up their revenue shortfalls? I own a lot of telco stock and figure this might be a good reason to keep them.
I suspect we will always be caught in the trap of initial benefits (lower cost more convenience) morphing into higher cost models once the cost to switch gets high enough? Hard to keep ahead of these guys.
It is hard to keep ahead of these guys.... It's started already with Charter Communications in our area. We have seen a 20% cost increase in high speed over the last 18 months, just after they bought out a local provider. There are other options, but for high speed (60 MB/s) they are the only choice right now. Another company has been laying fiber in the area, but it is not available yet to anyone but businesses.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Personally, I just ordered a Tablo but I plan to spend the $5/mo for the programming option so it will work seamlessly. There is a $150 lifetime option but not sure that will be worthwhile with the pace of technology change.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
It is hard to keep ahead of these guys.... It's started already with Charter Communications in our area. We have seen a 20% cost increase in high speed over the last 18 months, just after they bought out a local provider.
Yes, it takes a lot of effort. Good deals gradually get whittled away and before you know it you are back to a couple hundred bucks a month again. My DW spends at least an hour a month with the various "retention depts" trying to keep the costs down. Especially a pain given our multiple homes with different providers. Couple of years ago, I capitulated and just bought a bunch of stock. Now I am not as concerned about the monthly cost.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Dan
Have you considered a Slingbox? That rebroadcasts from your home base to wherever you are at the time. As long as no one is back home using the TV. Records and replays too.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
I am not much of a sports junkie at all, but we all enjoy March Madness which had been for years available OTA on CBS. To my dismay, next year most all of it will be only on TBS. I see that Sling carries TBS, so I think we have that problem solved. I doubt that we will keep Sling very long, but being able to flip it on and off monthly is nice.

Sling is the closest I could come up with that would make a savings meaningful as I do watch most shows in their packages. However I do not live close enough to receive OTA broadcasts. And I would need that to piece enough of the missing links to make me accept losing the NFL package. I have noticed CBS can be bought on internet, but I dont know about the others. But $5-$10 here and there add up and eventually you are back near the original cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

I had a Sling Box for a while. This was when I was away from home often and NEEDED to watch the broadcast of my favorite football team. I did the set up a bit tricky with having to get at the router and do some port forwarding. But, the box worked for the intending purpose.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
Personally, I just ordered a Tablo but I plan to spend the $5/mo for the programming option so it will work seamlessly. There is a $150 lifetime option but not sure that will be worthwhile with the pace of technology change.

I'm using the Tablo without a subscription. I thought about paying the one time fee, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Even without the subscription you can schedule manual recordings, which works well enough for us.

I'm using the Tablo with the Amazon Fire stick and my only complaint is that it could be a little bit more responsive. It works fine, just a bit of lag. Using the iPad or PC there's very little lag, so it could be that the Fire stick is too slow or the app isn't well optimized for that platform.

Other than that, I've been happy with the purchase. It let me retire our old Windows Media Center PC using Media Center Extenders. There's one less box at each TV and no more having to change inputs on the TV.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I use TitanTV with a Hauppage 1250 TV capture card on my PC. It works flawlessly. You click the record button which automatically coordinates with my hauppage software to schedule the recording. Once I set it, it will record and save to a folder of my choice. I then use an editing program to autodetect commercials and remove those, too. It works just like a DVR
What is TitanTV? I went to their site but I couldn't figure it out. We currently use Media Center with Windows 7 that has Hauppage TV tuner (?), Could we use Titan instead?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

It is amazing what viewing options with internet are available I have found today. They even have websites where for $4.99 a month or $50 a year they route your internet address through a different country and then you can get things free they charge here in US or where you can purchase things not available here that are available for purchase across the pond. For example NFL Sunday package you can get through Europe on internet for half the price they charge here on satellite. Im just not willing to take the plunge. Turn the screws a bit harder on me and I will break though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
Yes, fewer and fewer of the big sporting events are on "free" network TV any more. I remember when most of the big events were on free TV on Saturday afternoons. Now it's golf, golf and more golf, with a little auto racing, tennis or such mixed in for a little variety. Everything else is on cable or PPV now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 07-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yes, fewer and fewer of the big sporting events are on "free" network TV any more. I remember when most of the big events were on free TV on Saturday afternoons. Now it's golf, golf and more golf, with a little auto racing, tennis or such mixed in for a little variety. Everything else is on cable or PPV now.
My breaking point to go back to pay tv, would be if the championship games aren't televised on "free" network TV.

For example, when the Cubs win the World Series. Okay, bad example?
Old 07-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Dan
Have you considered a Slingbox? That rebroadcasts from your home base to wherever you are at the time. As long as no one is back home using the TV. Records and replays too.
Thanks. Never heard of it. Will check it out.