Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If you order the HD Frequency through Amazon and need to return, that shouldn't be difficult either. I kept the HD frequency, but did order and return the Mohu Leaf via Amazon. On the return reason I simply said the antenna wasn't any better than my coat hanger home built one. (If you say you changed your mind as the reason, you'd end up paying return shipping).
Amazon also sells three four "AmazonBasics" antennas (apparently they recently added an outdoor antenna). I picked up the "35 mile" one:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Ultra-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - 35 Mile Range: Electronics

and it works great in our second story bedroom (I didn't want to pay for another cable card for the bedroom TiVo and since we only watch the 10PM news in the bedroom - usually about at about 10:15 - this works well for us).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Sling TV
Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Sling TV

Dish's new Sling TV Internet TV service starts at $20, features ESPN, Disney Channel, CNN, TNT, and other channels - CNET

Sling TV just announced yesterday! It carries ESPN, HGTV, Disney and several others that were previously cable only. $20 per month

We had cut the cable 5 years ago, but sports and kid's channels drove us back after 2 years off. $20 is quite a bit, but it carries most of the channels that were holding our household into a cable subscription. Our current cable is about $85 per month. We are already Amazon prime and netflix, and have a good antenna in our attic. Perfect timing, as our cable contract is up next month. Hopefully beta testing will be done by then.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Dish's new Sling TV Internet TV service starts at $20, features ESPN, Disney Channel, CNN, TNT, and other channels - CNET

Sling TV just announced yesterday! It carries ESPN, HGTV, Disney and several others that were previously cable only. $20 per month

My understanding is that it does not carry local stations. So, it might be a good choice for those with OTA TV who want a bit more.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I called Comcast today to check for a better deal. I did not threaten to drop my service. I was able to get a modest reduction in my monthly cost to $91 per month once I sign up for electronic billing. That rate includes Digital Economy TV service, which is the minimum requirement to receive HD, and 50 Mbps internet, an upgrade from my current 25 Mbps, plus all equipment charges and fees. The good news is that I didn't have to agree to any contract so I am free to continue to explore my options.

My cell phone plan with AT&T runs me $56 per month, also with no contract, so my total for internet, TV, and phone is $147. If I can't find an OTA solution that works, I may have to live with that cost. Oh, and I just know that if I do find a better solution for TV, when I call Comcast to cancel, they'll suddenly find a better deal for me. Ugh. I really hate that aspect of the current business model for many of our service providers.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #45

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
We ditched our cable/sat TV over 3 years ago, but get our hi speed internet through Charter. They keep sending us these so called 'promotions' that offer a landline, internet, and TV for some ridiculous low amount - until you read the fine print. One recent call to find out about these 'deals' showed us that they are no better than any other package they peddle. In fact, the cost of their triple play actually goes up year after year. AND, they now want to charge an additional 6.99 month for a digital converter box, which is now mandatory. They only RENT and don't sell these boxes (even though their cost about 25 bucks each) so you are stuck with an additional 6.99 mo on top of the rest of their hi priced garbage.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
For those of you having difficulty receiving OTA signals with an antenna, you might try what I did. When I called my ISP (Verizon FiOS) to cancel TV and phone, I told them I'd be using Netflix and OTA for network TV. They informed me there was an unadvertised "broadcast tier" TV service that would give me a "double-play" discount, resulting in a LOWER cost than internet alone.
That is exactly what I did with Comcast. I called and asked for basic cable which is about 20 channels - all the local ones, plus some shopping and weather channels. The difference from their non-HD digital starter package to basic cable (also non-HD) was a 60% reduction in the monthly cost. I don't use Comcast for internet access.

To that I added a Roku 3, which will stream in HD, if my tv accepts it (which it does), and Hulu +.

- Rita
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #47

I think Sling TV will really be a game changer because of ESPN. There are a lot of people I talk to who want to be cord cutters but the live sports is what kills the deal. With a combo of Sling and digital antenna they might be golden.

We've found a Roku 3 with Netflix streaming + Amazon Prime is all we really need.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

You guys and a sibling have convinced me to order a Roku 3. It should be here Friday (two days).

Exciting for a long time cable hound dog!

Old 01-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Does Comcast let you have high speed internet without having some basic level of TV service?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

They have to. As part of the Comcast NBC deal they had to promise to provide reasonably priced high speed internet alone with no requirement to order TV or other services.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
They have to. As part of the Comcast NBC deal they had to promise to provide reasonably priced high speed internet alone with no requirement to order TV or other services.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Are you sure the words highlighted be me above were part of that deal?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Dropped Cable TV Today

The actual word should be affordable, not reasonable. Furthermore, they were required to make it easy for people to select.

http://bgr.com/2012/06/29/comcast-fi...roadband-2012/

Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Does Comcast let you have high speed internet without having some basic level of TV service?
That's what I have, just internet with Comcast.

As for the price, I have the service for 19.99/month for 12 years, after that price goes up to 39.99 a month. That's the slowest internet speed they offer.

Overall, I am quite happy with the connection compared to what I had before (different provider).

Surprisingly, when I ordered there wasn't a hard sell to add TV services . This could be because I ordered online and not by phone.

But yes, I needed some digging around to see the internet only offer.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Well! That was easy!

It arrived a day early, Amazon must be searching the woods for The Fugitive and threw it on the deck on their way by.

Last night I only used the TV with HDMI input. There is an older one I also like, but it has the three RCA-type jacks. I suppose I would need a converter - I am using a Roku 3. Any tips on those welcome.

Great advice and extra eyes here - thanks!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well! That was easy!

It arrived a day early, Amazon must be searching the woods for The Fugitive and threw it on the deck on their way by.

Last night I only used the TV with HDMI input. There is an older one I also like, but it has the three RCA-type jacks. I suppose I would need a converter - I am using a Roku 3. Any tips on those welcome.

Roku 3 is HDMI only. Roku 2 and prior supported both HDMI and analog RCA output. You could have saved about $50 with the Roku 2 as well. I suppose you could buy a digital-to-analog converter box, but that seems like a waste. I'd be more inclined to upgrade the older TV, or buy a second Roku 2 just for that older TV.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #56

I bought a Channel Master DVR+ (over the air DVR) in Dec. 2014. This week at the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show, Channel Master announced that they will be doing a software upgrade to their DVR+ in March that will now stream additional channels (Linear TV) from the internet...another source of "free" content. This was an unexpected benefit of the Channel Master DVR+.

Channel Master LinearTV Makes TV Internet Easy
Old 01-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

I've seen HDMI to RCA converters for about $20, but I agree with Cobra you might as well just spend $60 and get a Roku2 that is compatible with your older TV. Having two would be really nice not to have to fiddle with cables and plugs every time you wanted to switch TVs.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been in this house for 25 years now and have never had cable TV. Big ol' antenna and rotor on a tower/mast straight out of the 60's. I get ~50 channels, up to 60 miles away. Of course, a lot of those are duplicates from different cities. PBS is about all I need anyway.
After ER'ing about two years ago I finally bought a BluRay player and wireless router (and simple as it may have been, I paid for BestBuy Geeks to get it working) and learned me about Netflix and Pandora. That's more than I need.
I'm not even sure I understand what Roku is.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #59

I dropped cable TV about a year and just kept an internet connection. My bill went from $110/month to $49.99/month.

I have a digital antenna that gets me 24 channels on my TV including 5 PBS channels, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox and local movie channels, oldies network etc.

You can watch a lot on youtube for free, lots of international sport is free on the internet (I watch soccer and cycling) and if you are interested in foreign TV using a proxy server works well

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
It's my understanding that live streams on WatchESPN are only available if you get ESPN as part of a cable or satellite TV subscription. Internet-only subscribers get access to ESPN3 only. I believe that is true for all providers. Here's a link to their explanation. So I'm curious how you were able to watch the College Football Playoffs.
Yes, WatchESPN is a streaming service for people already subscribing to cable or satellite providers with arrangements and agreements with the ESPN empire. ESPN3, on the other hand, provides additional programming online for anyone with an ISP that offers it. We have AT&T DSL at home and they do offer ESPN3, even when we cut the cord, which should be within the next month or so as we line up all our ducks and learn to full our holes.

As for ESPN there will be the new Sling service mentioned above with ESPN (and a few other channels) for $20 a month and it will be on Roku and others. That could be good for a sports junkie who would otherwise cut the cable, but it *only* shows live feeds (no DVR, no archived content) which would make it a showstopper for me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Closed Thread