Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #81
Dryer sheet aficionado

I got rid of directv as a new year's resolution. The prices were going up again this year. I was paying $144.00 per month, and bring up a point about the per TV cost. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that both Directv and our local cable company charge per TV. I have a fairly large home that used to have teenagers (college) and we had 6 TVs in total. That really drove the bill up.

One of the best things about streaming is multiple users per account. Here is what I have:

1. Netflix
2. Amazon Prime: I am an admitted Amazonian junkie, and listen to Prime music, enjoy the shipping, and even have their new Echo device

For TV, I actually went with USTVNow, which is not very well known. It was meant for expats, but they offer about 30 channels including ESPN and include a DVR for free for $29.95 per month. The nice part is that they allow up to 4 "streamers" per account, so my son and daughter can watch in their dorms if they want. It's just enough cable to get by on, and a whole lot cheaper. The only downside is that the local channels are sourced from Harrisburg, but that's OK, because I live in that area. The $30.00 deal runs out at the end of 3 months and increase $10, but I simply drop the service and resubscribe with a different email address.

I went from $212 down to $106 per month. $60 for cable (rural area, cable internet tends to be higher), $30 for ustvnow, and $8.00 for Netflix. $8.00 for Hulu Plus.

I will most likely drop ustnow, we'll see. I will say that I don't miss Directv a single bit. I watch mostly documentaries and listen to music.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now we dropped our xmradio subscriptions as we have found streaming radio from our iOS devices works well enough on the road.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

My Siriusxm radio expired 5 days ago and I save $15/month.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post

They'll come back with special pricing for you over the next few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #85
Gone but not forgotten

WSJ update on SLING:

Sling TV: A Giant Step From Cable - WSJ

...which doesn't help if your only access to the internet is Comcast.

Now, for anyone who is considering alternatives, here is a website that cuts through the nonsensical "contract game" to deal with the actual cost for internet. This is plaintalk about what works, and what doesn't as well as dealing with the different internet speeds, and the minimum necessary to stream video... all in the way that a non-techie can understand.
http://www.xconomy.com/national/2014...without-cable/

The net-net of all this is that one way or another, you can expect to pay, and that every compromise of speed and content availability will work out to big dollars no matter what choice is made.

A far cry from the $14.95/month that I paid when I was the first on the street with cable TV.

The coming 6% to 7% increase in Satellite and Cable costs (as soon as March) will have many people re-thinking their options. After talking with a DirecTV rep on the phone, yeterday, I sensed they are already preparing to deal with the potential customer loss, and that they may also be ready to "deal" with threats to cancel, with those special offers of free HBO for a few months and that kind of salve.

Oh... BTW... where is the FCC these days?

On a personal note... In our area, with no OTA TV available, (can't have antennas, an only religious stations anyway) ... looks like a savings of a few grand, to move into our CCRC apartments where access is free.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm testing the Tablo OTA DVR right now and am pretty impressed so far. After one month of testing, we'll most likely drop our $75.00 per month Dish network service. The Tablo doesn't connect "directly" to your TV, but to your home network instead. The device has four tuners and streams the recordings to any Roku, computer, tablet or phone. I use a 1 TB hard drive that connects to the Tablo. There is a $5.00 per month program guide fee, but it is optional.
https://www.tablotv.com/
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Thanks inoldernu. A good article, if also depressing. We really need competition in this area.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrlawjr View Post
I heard HBO may offer in line with the Game of Thrones Season premier.. I can only hope.. the only thing I can't figure out how to get around is MSNBC, not sure if anyone knows of any options there, but I think I'm stuck either getting basic tv and paying for that or just dealing with not getting it..which I'd miss morning stock ticker and interviews on squak.

I have the MSNBC app on my iPad and then I stream to my tv via my apple tv. The app has a link to the MSNBC live feed. The nice thing is that you get music instead of the commercials. Watched the Ed Schultz last night. Cut the cord in November and I have not looked back. Luckily, my indoor antenna picks up the networks and PBS. Future HBO stand alone Apps and the possibility to buy ESPN for college football season will seal the dal for me. So glad that I am not giving comcast any of my money.
John; On the MSNBC app on your ipad, how do you get by the screen asking you to select which cable provider you use at the log in prompt. It specificallly asks for your cable provider, not just your internet provider. I have been assuming that if I dropped Time Warner Cable, I could not login to the MSNBC app with just Time Warner internet. Am I incorrect?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I'm testing the Tablo OTA DVR right now and am pretty impressed so far. After one month of testing, we'll most likely drop our $75.00 per month Dish network service. The Tablo doesn't connect "directly" to your TV, but to your home network instead. The device has four tuners and streams the recordings to any Roku, computer, tablet or phone. I use a 1 TB hard drive that connects to the Tablo. There is a $5.00 per month program guide fee, but it is optional.
https://www.tablotv.com/
That looks interesting, but I was having trouble finding out some things after a little searching:

As I understand it, they use some proprietary format to store the video on the external hard drive? So I can't just plug that drive in my computer to copy/edit programs?

I also got the impression it does some compression - some people were saying sports programs looked bad, it didn't maintain the frame rate above SD (and they were watching in SD to circumvent this - I want my 1080!).

I'd have to upgrade to ROKU3s on my TVs to use, not really a problem if you are there already or planning to purchase new ROKU anyhow.

I've been pretty satisfied with this cheap ($38 less on sale) Mediasonics PVR:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-.../dp/B00I2ZBD1U

The interface is clunky, no option for an advanced program guide or streaming to other devices, but it gets the job done. It records the broadcast quality direct to the hard drive, absolutely zero degradation. Plugs right into the HDMI port on your TV (or legacy ports). I bought a second one for the upstairs TV, so we essentially have 'dual tuner' now, for ~ $75 plus the cost of a hard drive (or re-purpose a current one). Plug the drive into a computer to copy/view/edit/delete, etc.

It may be too limited for some, but is fitting our needs quite well. More here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...dvr-59977.html

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I also looked at the Tablo device mostly because it streams the TV via Wifi. That would allow me to set up my antenna and Tablo in a lesser used upstairs room that has a very good view towards where the broadcast antennas are located in my area. It might help fix those times when atmospheric conditions mess up those sensitive digital broadcasts. However, I have read that for best quality it needs to be hard wired into the router via an Ethernet cord. That would be a problems since my router is nowhere near where I would like to put the antenna. And running an Ethernet cable is not practical.

The Mediasonic device is great if you are a geek, like to experiment a bit, and know military time. If you want simple point and click ease of use to record and playback programs, it will frustrate you. Still for the price, I owe ERD50 one for bringing it to my attention. It has solved a lot of my viewing problems at very little cost. And kept me out of the clutches of the local cable company thus saving me at least $1000 a year.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I also looked at the Tablo device mostly because it streams the TV via Wifi. That would allow me to set up my antenna and Tablo in a lesser used upstairs room that has a very good view towards where the broadcast antennas are located in my area. It might help fix those times when atmospheric conditions mess up those sensitive digital broadcasts. However, I have read that for best quality it needs to be hard wired into the router via an Ethernet cord. That would be a problems since my router is nowhere near where I would like to put the antenna. And running an Ethernet cable is not practical.

The Mediasonic device is great if you are a geek, like to experiment a bit, and know military time. If you want simple point and click ease of use to record and playback programs, it will frustrate you. Still for the price, I owe ERD50 one for bringing it to my attention. It has solved a lot of my viewing problems at very little cost. And kept me out of the clutches of the local cable company thus saving me at least $1000 a year.
You're both correct. I was a network engineer in a former life and have the house pretty much hard wired for Ethernet. The Tablo works well over wireless and I've have had few problems, but my house is on one level and less than 2300 sq ft so I've got good wireless coverage. The Tablo seems to only work with Roku3 and the Roku Streaming Stick. You can also access your recorded programs AWAY from your router, but that will also depend on the quality of your wired or wireless access. This feature is much like a Sling Box.

I've built one HTPC based on Microsoft's Media Center and one very small one based on the Raspberry PI format. I was not pleased with either.

I ALSO have to please the DW and she likes the simple interface of the TABLO, hence the deciding factor on choosing the Tablo.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I don't think it involves anything geeky, or much experimenting?

It was very easy to set up - plug the antenna to the input, HDMI out to TV, plug a drive into the USB port. No technical knowledge required. I did add a simple signal splitter to run one output to the PVR and one to the TV to allow me to watch one station on the TV, while recording another on the PVR (I seemed to get some interference with the 'pass-thru' mode, built-in splitter).

As I said, the interface is clunky and non-intuitive. But it's not so bad once you get familiar with it (though inexcusable, they should really re-write the UI firmware). DW has mastered playback of recorded shows, FF to skip commercials etc, next I'll show her how to set a recording. Setting recordings is mostly old-school, similar to VCR style (set time and station). But if the show you want to record is on the station EPG list (usually < 24 hours out), that's a simple 'add to record list' action.

If you want the auto features of selecting a show, and having it update to schedule changes, record only new releases, etc - this isn't for you. It is bare-bones.

By 'experimenting' you might have meant that the 'manual' is pretty sketchy, so yes, you sometimes do a bit of playing around to figure out a few things - agreed.

I'm thinking of adding one to the kitchen TV with just a 16-32GB flash drive, so I can get live TV 'pause/skip', and maybe a few shows copied from the other recorders as a backup to live TV.

-ERD50
Dropped Cable TV Today
Old 01-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Dropped Cable TV Today

I ended up taking the $72 price for 1yr of Amazon Prime. I figured that was comparable to the 3mo free trial of Hulu Plus. I ignored the 2-day shipping as I typically don't need things from Amazon that fast and have gone the non-Prime free shipping in the past.

I don't have enough experience to judge one over the other (and none with Netflix). I've seen a few recent reviews through a web search.

There seem to be a lot of streamers out here, has there been a poll? I don't know enough of all the players to start one myself.

Edit: I meant to post this to the thread about the 1-day $72/yr offer on Prime, but I guess it's OK here too.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post

Yep - I'm even getting money back.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They'll come back with special pricing for you over the next few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Oh they offered me half price! But too late!!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I ended up taking the $72 price for 1yr of Amazon Prime. I figured that was comparable to the 3mo free trial of Hulu Plus. I ignored the 2-day shipping as I typically don't need things from Amazon that fast and have gone the non-Prime free shipping in the past.

I don't have enough experience to judge one over the other (and none with Netflix). I've seen a few recent reviews through a web search.

There seem to be a lot of streamers out here, has there been a poll? I don't know enough of all the players to start one myself.

Edit: I meant to post this to the thread about the 1-day $72/yr offer on Prime, but I guess it's OK here too.
If you find you aren't really using it, you can get at least some of it back, I believe.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #97
Dryer sheet aficionado

My hubby and I have not had cable in over 10 years! Best decision we ever made. You can get so much done instead of wasting hours on TV. We do have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but this just makes us more selective in what we watch, rather than just watching whatever is on. It is, however, hard to convince the internet provider that we don't want to "bundle" services!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had the TabloTV for a few months. Would highly recommend it. The Roku sticks are cheap and do a good job. So does the old Roku. I have more TV shows and movies than I can possibly ever watch. I can watch recorded shows while at the gym or 600 miles away on vacation. Wife can watch on her tablet. Had a few tech issues at the beginning but TabloTV tech staff is quick and they stay with the issue. Did not treat me like an idiot. I also have an antennae in the attic that powers the house. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Can get some ESPN online due to Charter Internet.
Dropped Cable TV Today
Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Dropped Cable TV Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you find you aren't really using it, you can get at least some of it back, I believe.

I didn't know (or think of) that - thanks for the tip.

I'm not so concerned about cost but more quality/usability/variety/reliability of offerings. When you are (like me) a rookie with something, you ask veterans!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Here's one person's review of the Sling TV:
Review: Sling TV - TechBlog

Quote:
One thing I missed, though, from getting these channels via cable with a DVR set-top box: You’re not able to pause, rewind or fast-forward with Sling’s live TV. Yep, no putting the basketball game on pause while you go to the bathroom or grab a cold one from the fridge. And definitely no giving yourself a time buffer so you can fast-forward through commercials.

Closed Thread