Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$15 a month for HBO is to much. If these guys price their services like that they will make the cable companies look like discounters. Maybe that is the plan.

I will stick with my free OTA TV, Netflix streaming and one Netflix disk. I have more than I can watch.

OTOH, if I lived outside of OTA TV, I think choosing Netflix and one former cable only network, might be a good deal.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think I'll avoid BitTorrent.
The torrents are fantastic for legal use (downloading copyrighted material you don't own is of course, not legal). I used it recently to download the latest Xubuntu OS ISO. The torrent client was so much more sophisticated than any downloading I've ever used, it makes everything else seem like a fax machine.

It downloads from multiple sources simultaneously, so you never have an issue with a single 'pipe' getting clogged. And it grabs whatever piece is available that it doesn't already have, until it has everything. And you can actually schedule the DL, and tell it to limit the bandwidth (important for us, our ISP isn't super-high speed, so a big DL slows up other uses, and especially interferes with the VOIP phone call).

It's a shame that all these options are 'stream only'. I'd prefer to DL (at night so as to not interfere with our other uses) and be able to watch later, pause, rewind, FF w/o having to wait for the dang thing to sync up again. That's painful on a not-so-speedy connection.

In fact, if I were heavy into this, I might be inclined to pay the streaming fee, and then do the 'illegal' DL, just so I could watch off-line. Not legal by the letter of the law, but I'd have a clear conscious - though if I got 'caught', I doubt my explanation would hold water, w/o many $$$ in legal fees.

-ERD50
Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We plan to dip a toe in next week (Spring Break). I have an antenna that I'll connect for over the air. We already have netflix and amazon prime. The plan is to use the one week free offer for Hulu Plus and Acorn. The remainder we'll stream directly from the networks websites, where available.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

We cut the cable too. We use Tablo with four tuners for over the air DVR service, 3 Rokus, Netflix and the occasional Redbox rental.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
We cut the cable too. We use Tablo with four tuners for over the air DVR service, 3 Rokus, Netflix and the occasional Redbox rental.
What do you think of Tablo?

It looks interesting for OTA TV viewing and recording.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What do you think of Tablo?

It looks interesting for OTA TV viewing and recording.

I like it and it's very easy to use and install. It basically pulls OTA stations via an antenna I installed in my attic and redistributes the data/video over my local area network. I use the four tuner model.

I use a Roku 3 on each of my three TVs to provide network capability to each TV. You create a private Roku channel on your Roku called Tablo. I also connected a 2 TB powered hard drive to my Tablo to store recordings.

If you open a few ports on your router you can even watch your recordings off site...much like a Slingbox capability. The Tablo will stream to Roku, Android, Chromecast...pretty much anything with a network connection.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I finally took my Comcast cable/DVR box to The Ancient Burial Grounds For Overcharging For A Billion Channels You Don't Watch this morning. That's a sacred place.

I dumped them for Internet in 2011.

Between Ooma and Roku (+ Prime & Hulu) over AT&T and Comcast, it's a more financially-efficient future for me.

The last DVR-recorded thing I watched over this morning's coffee was "The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz: Making Of A Movie Classic", hosted by Angela Lansbury, a documentary I highly recommend and would like to see again. I recorded it off TCM, probably the one channel I'll miss.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

I didnt drop this week but I did negotiate them down. Got $10 off from ATT, $10 off from Direct Tv, and an additional $5 off for combining the 2 bills. Not as good as deal as a new subscriber, but they threw me a big enough bone to make me feel like I am not the highest paying idiot that they laugh at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Between dropping cable TV and dropping my landline, I'm saving around $1750/year without missing a thing that I happen to care about. That has me grinning like the Cheshire Cat just from the thought of it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:54 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

It's been almost a year and a half since we dropped the cable. We haven't missed it at all. We watch mostly Netflix and a little Hulu and some Amazon Prime video. We never did get OTA working well but found we didn't care enough about it especially as we prefer watching things on our own schedule.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

We dropped cable about 3 years ago, Internet only since then. No regrets about that. However, given that Internet service is a duopoly in my area (Comcast/AT&T), the Comcast Internet charges keep increasing (current bottom line monthly cost $77.65). And we have to watch Internet usage so as to not cross the monthly 300 GB limit.

Sometimes I wonder whether there is any real competition.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been a bit over a year since dropping Comcast cable, and like audreyh1, we use Prime and Netflix.

We had the full Netflix package of 3 DVDs at a time along with streaming, but dropped down to one DVD at a time and streaming. This saved us ~$10/month at Netflix, and we used that $10 to pay the cost of subscribing to Prime. What a deal!

Our Comcast internet remains. Its cost creeps up (of course) and we are paying $78.95/mo. including taxes. But it is fast internet.

I'm sure there's a thread on that topic. (Cheaper internet.) Why can't we have real competition, or a community based ISP?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I dropped cable last year. I can pick up 10 local channels with an antenna and subscribe to Netflix. But I admit to missing a few channels like espn, TBS, AMC, Travel etc so I gave Sling TV a try. For $20 not a bad way to go to pick up an additional 20 channels or so. The picture quality is right at HD and my internet speed is just 3mpgs. The lowest speed Comcast offers. So I'm spending $28/mo as opposed to $75 for cable. Of course one could argue its really more with internet, but I would have that anyway.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #134
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm spoiled with pausing a game on my DVR. That is so convenient to chase play a game. Let the game record for about an hour, then advance past the commercials and half-time to catch up to the live game near the end.
I think this is the gist of it. Cruising thru this thread, folks here that are cutting cable aren't listing how they legally get their sports junkie stations in the high quality and ability to speed thru them that I want. If I wasn't interested in sports - about half of my viewing - I too think the options folks here are raving about would be the right thing to do.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I think this is the gist of it. Cruising thru this thread, folks here that are cutting cable aren't listing how they legally get their sports junkie stations in the high quality and ability to speed thru them that I want. If I wasn't interested in sports - about half of my viewing - I too think the options folks here are raving about would be the right thing to do.
I'm not interested in watching sports, so that is not an issue for me. I get dozens of local channels OTA for free, including the major networks, and that provides enough for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I dropped cable last year. I can pick up 10 local channels with an antenna and subscribe to Netflix. But I admit to missing a few channels like espn, TBS, AMC, Travel etc so I gave Sling TV a try. For $20 not a bad way to go to pick up an additional 20 channels or so. The picture quality is right at HD and my internet speed is just 3mpgs. The lowest speed Comcast offers. So I'm spending $28/mo as opposed to $75 for cable. Of course one could argue its really more with internet, but I would have that anyway.

This made me think about Sling again. Boom! There it is: TCM! Plus a few others I watched on Comcast (IFC, Sundance, ...)

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #137
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not interested in watching sports, so that is not an issue for me. I get dozens of local channels OTA for free, including the major networks, and that provides enough for me.
I think that's what I said.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm a sports fan, but not enough of a sports fan to spend over $100 a month just to watch sports. That said a lot of the cable networks are getting more and more into original programming and new series that seem interesting, and that seems to be their response to cable-cutting. There isn't much of a profit model in just syndicating old shows any more, since a Roku box with Hulu, Netflix and/or Amazon Prime can usually meet that need for cable cutters and dish ditchers.

I am intrigued by Sling but the lack of pause/rewind or lack of recently archived content on many of the channels is currently stopping me. If those were resolved, I'd probably be in for it. I am too spoiled by a DVR and the ability to pause, rewind and FF most content on Roku.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I am among the sports fan crowd. I don't feel I've missed an inning of baseball this season because of realtime score updates through the MLB AtBat app.

If it was a game I really, really wanted to see "live"... I've been known to frequent sports bars.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Getting an OTA DVR/antenna set up that I was satisfied with plus Amazon Prime streaming, I'm pretty much set. I've even managed to not get Prime 2-day deliveries all the time to build up enough credits for movies, so they feel like free.
Closed Thread