Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I've gotten a little bogged down in this discussion and would like to understand this post. Did you mean to say "bandwidth"? My confusion might be that I think of that as a rate, rather than consumption/usage.
Quote:
A bandwidth cap, also known as a band cap or a data cap, limits the transfer of a specified amount of data over a period of time.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bandwidth+cap

The term is arguably not precise ("data cap" would be) but it is the way the cap is labeled and referred to within the industry.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=bandwidth+cap

The term is arguably not precise ("data cap" would be) but it is the way the cap is labeled and referred to within the industry.

Got it. I agree, "data cap" would be better.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
For those interested, TIVO over the air units are again selling on Amazon for $300 including lifetime guide service. (the lifetime of the unit, not the buyer). Normally, the guide service (not required but very, very nice to have) for Tivo is $15 a month. This is strictly an OTA unit and cannot be used with cable or satellite TV. I have it and it makes recording and watching TV so much easier and convenient. This unit also works with Netflix, Amazon, YouTube and more.

The OTA unit is $50, the lifetime service is $250. 250/15 = about 17 months to break even compared to the monthly fee.

Having the lifetime guide is a great convenience and if one chooses to sell the Tivo unit, the guide goes with it, so people will value the unit more.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Streaming...&keywords=tivo
Dang - price is back up to $400 with only 5 left in stock.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Dang - price is back up to $400 with only 5 left in stock.
They ran out last year and got in more, so keep an eye out if you are interested.

Also, check the Tivo site itself for refurbished machines that come with the Lifetime service. It happens from time to time.

One other bit of bad news: Verizon is apparently reconsidering its decision to drop ESPN from being required. Apparently it is a contract issue. So everybody gets to pay for it whether they want it or not. Just another reason to cut the cable for good, IMHO.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #365

Quote:
They ran out last year and got in more, so keep an eye out if you are interested.

Also, check the Tivo site itself for refurbished machines that come with the Lifetime service. It happens from time to time.

One other bit of bad news: Verizon is apparently reconsidering its decision to drop ESPN from being required. Apparently it is a contract issue. So everybody gets to pay for it whether they want it or not. Just another reason to cut the cable for good, IMHO.
Yep good point on keeping an eye out. I still haven't decided yet whether to get a DVR. We have Roku now and access all of the content we care about. We also have PlayOn which gets around some of the shortcomings of some of the native apps on Roku (HuluPlus is available on Roku, but not Hulu. Only the paid version of CBS all access is available, not the free version). And it has a DVR feature, though not for OTA. So other than not having to wait between a day and a week to watch a regular network show,
I'm not sure what I'd record.....
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #366

I've been contemplating using more streaming (and probably terminating the cable TV service).

The problem I'm having is that the streaming channels (not Netflix or Amazon) enforce commercial watching. I just can't stomach this after using TiVo for so many years.

I was catching up with The Expanse on SyFy and I can watch the first few episodes on the SyFi app (Airplay to the Apple TV). But the ads are killing us. One more episode to go before we can switch over to the TiVo and start watching the show there.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #367

Quote:
On a related note, if you are interested in something on Amazon.com and want to be alerted when the price goes down to a price you're willing to pay, check out the Camel Camel Camel website. For this product:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/TiVo-Stre...uct/B0148ZRFVO
Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #368

The folks that have a check mark on this thread might be able to tell me something about an idea I had.

I have a low-end TV that has HDMI, YPbPr, and USB inputs. I just got a "NAS" network hard drive that supports "DLNA", which I'd never heard of.

But now I wonder if there's a device that's got an Ethernet jack to get data from the NAS, and an output jack (HDMI or whatever), and a remote control. I've seen other things that I think would work (game consoles and Blu-Ray players), but I didn't want the complexity of those, if I could help it.

Is there a one trick pony that will pull via DLNA out of the NAS and display on my 'dumb' TV?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inputs.jpg (35.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #369

A Roku box can do DLNA.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Search for DLNA NAS. It looks like most recent devices support DLNA.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #371
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A Roku box can do DLNA.
Yes, a Roku 3 would be a nice fast player that will play DLNA and give many other streaming options. The Roku Media Player channel (included) discovers DLNA servers on the network and allows you to play video, audio, and pictures. Roku supports H.264 video as MKV and MP4 files but not AVI.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #372

Just FYI, there are a number of apps on the new Apple TV that can access DNLA servers. VLC for example.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #373

Quote:
A Roku box can do DLNA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Yes, a Roku 3 would be a nice fast player that will play DLNA and give many other streaming options. The Roku Media Player channel (included) discovers DLNA servers on the network and allows you to play video, audio, and pictures. Roku supports H.264 video as MKV and MP4 files but not AVI.
Thanks, I'll check out the Roku. After more research, I saw that Neo TV Max 300SL will do it too. I was kind of hoping for a no-name Hong-Kong device, since those kinds of things are so inexpensive, and probably wouldn't try to bait you into buying stuff when I already have a NAS full of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Search for DLNA NAS. It looks like most recent devices support DLNA.
I actually tried that, but I already have a DLNA NAS...I'm looking for a simple way to play content from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Just FYI, there are a number of apps on the new Apple TV that can access DNLA servers. VLC for example.
I kind of figured I could drive the screen from a PC or a phone, but I wanted this to not require to boot up something, worry about getting a call, and stuff like that.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #374

I recently found this facebook group called 'cord cutting tech support'. I just joined, so I can not vouch for anything about it. But it seems like it will be helpful.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I actually tried that, but I already have a DLNA NAS...I'm looking for a simple way to play content from it.
I understand now. There are no apps in the TV. So you're dependent on the device for smarts. What about a mini computer with Linux? Or arduino?

Roku looks best, though.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Localcast for Chromecast / DLNA may do this.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #377

Quote:
I understand now. There are no apps in the TV. So you're dependent on the device for smarts. What about a mini computer with Linux? Or arduino?.
Picking one of those would be a fun project. I really don't need it to "just work" right away, because I've got sneaker net with a USB thumb drive. So one of those might be fun project. And although I didn't really want to use any kind of computer (including a smart phone), your comment about the Android app got me thinking...I DO have an old Android phone that has an HDMI port and I could set it up to do the single duty of streaming local content to that TV.

Added: the old Android phone is too old for the app. Now I'll have to write one myself
Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

I think I'll be going off to get a Chromecast device soon. Need to try that out. If it is not all that, it will go upstairs in the bedroom. Then there'll definitely be a Roku in the near future.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #379
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think I'll be going off to get a Chromecast device soon. Need to try that out. If it is not all that, it will go upstairs in the bedroom. Then there'll definitely be a Roku in the near future.

Roku is probably more useful if you plan on streaming. I would also try MS wireless display adapter. You have to have a WIDI compliant laptop/computer if you plan on using this and most newer models of computers do. It works well with my W10 Thinkpad T430s and Android Samsung S5.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:12 AM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Here are a couple of things about Sling I didn't know before, but am learning as I gain experience.

I thought it was some crazy startup when I first heard of it around the time I was taking a look at streaming options. Apparently, it's a subsidiary of Dish Network.

Second, I notice by playing around with the remote that several (but not all) of the channels available through Sling support pause, rewind, etc. Even a "start over" button that I came across while noticing Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp was in progress, a movie I liked and hadn't seen in a long time.

Closed Thread