Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tend to rotate through various papers and magazines depending on what offers show up with attractive prices. They all have their pros and cons. I'm in the middle of a WSJ one year subscription now and admit I like finding the paper on the porch six mornings a week. Don't always have time to give it a complete reading, but most days it gets a 15 - 20 min look. Definitely won't renew unless they extend another near-free offer which I doubt since most of these really cheap offers are for new subscribers only. Previously I was getting the FT and if I can find another dirt cheap "for new subscribers only" offer will go back to that. Then maybe back to WSJ, again using special offers so the cost is minimal.

Also get the Economist, the Atlantic and a couple of populist financial rags that were available for trial subscriptions for literally pennies an issue.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read the WSJ every day, and have gotten my money back many times over by the little suggestions they have (i.e., like net addresses on where to buy things cheaply or better). If nothing else I get out of that paper, I do get that; however, $426 for 2 years is a tad pricey. I would probably go do the net thing if I had to spend that IF one of our members hadn't kindly posted a cheaper print version price on this very thread.
Since I was a student in a finance class, the professor got a card offering a 2 year for $99 or so, which, of course, I took advantage of. So, deals are out there on the WSJ.
But, honestly, I get so much out of the WSJ that I feel I actually save too much $$$ from using their suggestions to give it up at this point.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've read the WSJ on-and-off for quite a few years. At present, I have free on-line access through a company subscription.

However, I've recently (probably about the time Murdoch took over) become very unhappy with the journalism.

The editorials have always (well, for at least 15 years) been slanted towards one side of the political spectrum - being editorials, it's not a big deal one way or the other. Unfortunately, it seems that the political slant has now taken over the rest of the newspaper, too.

I want journalism and information so that I can make my own decisions, not one-sided rhetoric.

So now, even with a free subscription, I might glance at a few articles a week at best.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

After reading through the thead responses I'm feeling even better about my decision. After 35 years it's going to be kind of like a divorce (although I've never gone through a real one). I guess the old girl is just going to have to plunge on without me. I'm actually looking forward to freeing up the time it took to wade through all those sections looking for info that would be useful.

Tried the free access tip mentioned by Nords but it didn't work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though. Some of the content on the WSJ site seems to be available free anyway.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #25

Boy, not many of us want to keep the WSJ. And if Murdoch makes it into a swankier version of USA Today, I'm outta there, too. However, as of now, I stand by getting the WSJ, so it gets one vote for keeping it at least.
Nords, I, too, cannot get your link to the free WSJ site to work.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

I get to see the WSJ at the office and can bring copies home for free, but I have trouble finding the time to read them (same with Financial Times).

HOWEVER, where online can I find the price/earnings ratios of the DJI and the Nasdaq for free? (How about the same statistic for the S&P and Wilshire 5000, while I'm asking?)

How many look at Barrons? When I had access to it, I did enjoy it. Did Murdoch get it along with WSJ?

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA
Old 05-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Here are PE's for DJIA: Dow Jones Indexes

For some other indexes you might find current (maybe not projected PE's) by looking at a corresponding ETF. For S&P that could be SPY here:
SPY: Summary for S&P DEP RECEIPTS - Yahoo! Finance
Old 05-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about the failure of the Google/WSJ link-- that's recent news. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Our local newspaper's website also makes selected Sunday WSJ articles available for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsprius View Post
Thanks to this board, I just canceled my WSJ online subscription of long standing. There's just too much available online for free to merit $119 per year. Would you believe my subscription was set to renew tomorrow?
If you'd like to express your thanks in a more concrete manner, you can donate a portion of your savings to FIRECalc through the link at
Thanks for your support of FIRECalc!

Doing so also gives you the access to a few extra features in v3.0.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yes, some WSJ articles are in our daily also. BTW, have donated to FIRECalc.

Orchirdflower: I don't mean to say that everyone should end their WSJ subscription. There is value there for some. Personally I've got more out of my Morningstar subscription and it's the only thing (besides a little to FIRECalc) that I pay for on the web.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the nice things about being retired is having the time to visit the local library to read the latest financial publications. Why subscribe to the WSJ, Morningstar, Value Line etc. when they are avaliable for free. Yeah I know I'm cheap and proud of it.

2soon
Old 05-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

There is info and there are tools on M* that you cannot get in the library. It really depends on how you are using the info and what kind of investor you are. For an expensive publication like Value Line I go to the library. Might be checking out the WSJ there soon too.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

There is a secret decoder ring that lets you access wsj for free. Read about it here:
The Wall Street Journal's Web site is already (secretly) free - Machinist - Salon.com
I have firefox and attest to the fact that the digg.com referrer spoof works.

-h
Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for telling us about the secret decoder ring (aka Google news links, as one method). Works fine, and should be enough to get me the news I need.

When using this method I noticed that the WSJ is selling online subscriptions for $79--a big discount from the $119 they offer their long-time online subscribers. I'm not complaining--just pointing out the difficulty of maintaining a pricing strategy in the face of the internet onslaught.

In case of an emergency need for financial news beyond general newspapers/yahoo/google, I have done the free registration thing with Reuters and with the Financial Times. That should carry me through if I suffer any WSJ withdrawal symptoms.

- plsprius
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Btw the other option I have heard for subscriptions is to buy them online. heard you could get some of them really cheap that way. But I am guessing that those are print stuff - maybe it will work for online stuff but you will have to change the password etc....(Need to think that one through though)

-h
Old 05-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

If you do want a paper "paper", I think the FT is a much better alternative (particularly if you want more of an international perspective). They're currently offering a six month subscription for $49.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #36

Yeah they will discount price if you try to cancel.

But hearing it's only $79, I'm not going to renew.

They went from $60 to $120 in a few years?

I do read it a lot, now that I set up a bunch of email notifications.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Update: I canceled a few days ago when they tried to re-up my on-line subscription for $119. They countered with $99 on the phone.

Today I got an offer in the mail for $99 for one year of print and online access.

(i didn't take them up on it)
Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What's the big deal with the WSJ? Doesn't everybody read it online for free? Why would you ever pay for it?

Sunday Journal Partner Main - WSJ.com is the link to features that are repeated free in other papers (for you Nords)

Business Financial News, Business News Online & Personal Finance News at WSJ.com - WSJ.com is the link to the daily stuff. I am not interested in the daily news because the same news can be had free just about anywhere like The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia or World News, Business News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com or Bloomberg.com.

What's good about the WSJ are some of the features found in the Personal Journal and Personal Finance sections. And these are definitiely free to read daily.

If a gas station was giving out free gas and there were no lines, would you go across the street to the station where you had to pay for gas?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
There is info and there are tools on M* that you cannot get in the library. It really depends on how you are using the info and what kind of investor you are. For an expensive publication like Value Line I go to the library. Might be checking out the WSJ there soon too.
Aren't all the M* premium tools available for free at TRowePrice as described in this link: Asset allocation tutorial?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Aren't all the M* premium tools available for free at TRowePrice as described in this link: Asset allocation tutorial?
A few questions on TRowePrice:
1. Do they allow you to have multiple portfolio's in M* ?
2. Do they allow you to access the stock and fund Analyst Research at M*?

These have helped me with decisions from time to time.