Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Sunday Journal Partner Main - WSJ.com is the link to features that are repeated free in other papers (for you Nords)

Business Financial News, Business News Online & Personal Finance News at WSJ.com - WSJ.com is the link to the daily stuff. I am not interested in the daily news because the same news can be had free just about anywhere like The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia or World News, Business News, Breaking US & International News | Reuters.com or Bloomberg.com.

What's good about the WSJ are some of the features found in the Personal Journal and Personal Finance sections. And these are definitiely free to read daily.
LOL, thanks for pointing these items out.

Quote:
If a gas station was giving out free gas and there were no lines, would you go across the street to the station where you had to pay for gas?
I'd be very suspicious of that free gas, wouldn't you?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
A few questions on TRowePrice:
1. Do they allow you to have multiple portfolio's in M* ?
Yes.
Quote:
2. Do they allow you to access the stock and fund Analyst Research at M*?

These have helped me with decisions from time to time.
I dunno because my broker provides that stuff. Of course, I never need to read it.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Oddly enough I just had the same questions but watched as the rate went from $479 or so to over $500. I finally renewed but very hesitantly. That is an awful lot of money.

I've followed Murdoch's purchase closely and what he 'says' he wants to do is compete with the NYT, I guess as the one national paper that many people feel that they need to read. On the other hand since he's taken over the articles have become shorter, there are more useless graphs and white space and it actually looks like he's trying to emulate USAToday rather than the NYT. I emailed WSJ about this and was told they'd pass it on to 'upper management', where I'm sure it was given very careful consideration.

On the plus side, at least for me, I still really enjoy reading the WSJ. I also get the online version as part of the price and I read it at work (still there sad to say) when I have some free time. But it doesn't compare to the enjoyment I get from sitting down and reading the paper at my leisure. I've been in countless discussions about this, mainly because that's the industry I work in, but I just don't get the depth or enjoyment out of online articles that I do out of print. I'm sorry to hear that most other forum members don't seem to feel that way, at least from what I've gathered from this thread. If that's the case though, then Murdoch and most other newspaper owners are correct in their assumption that people really don't have the time or inclination to read print newspapers anymore. Because of that they're trying to reallocate their resources to focus on the web while still having something in print. The reason they still need print is that it still brings in I think about 75% of their income (from advertising). So they know that they need to keep print even though they also know that their print readers and advertisers go down each year. So most newspapers are trying desperately to find some way to survive. For me it's very sad to see them having such trouble, and so all in all I don't mind paying the $500+ because it's still well worth it.
metabasalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Metabasalt, for me it's not that I can get it all on the web. I will still subscribe to the Economist. What I need is some in depth coverage that gives insights. That does not mean long articles necessarily although the Economist certainly has those. The WSJ seems to be too short on truely useful investment information. For instance, aside from Jonothan Clements I haven't seen much coverage of building a portfolio while minimizing investment costs (low ER funds). When they talk about cars it's not with a Consumer Reports attitude. The business reporting is OK but too much on who's at the top and what he/she is like. There is too much coverage of the deal mentality. Maybe it's just me and what I'm interested in. Maybe I'm drifting out of their media base target customer. For me the web source talk is about trying to salvage some value after dropping the WSJ. I don't really have an opinion on Murdoch pro or con.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Isbcal,

Thanks for clarifying your reasons. I guess there really are many things that people want from the WSJ or any newspaper and it sounds like you just don't get that from WSJ anymore. I have to say that I haven't really read it with the perspective of building a portfolio while minimizing costs. Maybe if I had I would have reached the same conclusion as you.

I did find that they did a good job very early on of trying to explain the ramifications of the CDOs of questionable mortgages and that gave me some perspective on just how bad the mortgage crisis and then the credit crisis might turn out. Of course no one even now knows how it will all turn out or when it will end but for me I felt that at least it was a crisis that I had some conceptual handle on and that made it less likely for me to react emotionally to. That's just one example among many of what I get out of it. I also enjoy their oddball stories that have no relation at all to finance. So for me I just enjoy reading it every day and feel that I learn something every day. But if I looked at it from your perspective I might also find it lacking.

Best wishes,

metabasalt
metabasalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I canceled my online WSJ subscription about 3+ months ago, after reading it for many, many years.

I was afraid that I'd miss the access, but I haven't found much I miss. Plus, many WSJ articles are still available to non-subscribers, and many others seem to be available after the article is considered stale (e.g., after a day or so). So, no loss so far.

Just today I received a "This may be the only notice you will receive" offer inviting me back to the online WSJ for $59 per year. I was tempted, but only for a minute or so...

plsprius
plsprius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Worth noting that the WSJ paper is outstanding for washing windows. very hard and free of much of the sawdust and lint that regular newspaper sheds. Good to have a couple copies for that purpose at least. though they don't need to be current.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Worth noting that the WSJ paper is outstanding for washing windows. very hard and free of much of the sawdust and lint that regular newspaper sheds. Good to have a couple copies for that purpose at least. though they don't need to be current.
The paper in the WSJ makes the most wonderful fire starter in my wood stove. Much better than my local paper. Not sure if it is due to the physical properties of the paper or its editorial content
ejman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I'm starting to think about dumping it too.

They billed me $119 a few weeks ago but I let it go.

I get emails with links to various articles, like European update, Tech update, Personal Journal update, etc.

But most of the articles in these different email updates are the same or overlap the different categories.

I also subscribe to a couple of their podcasts, which again are summaries of their articles.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Lately I have reading the WSJ print at my broker's office. The young ladies on the front desk are a little nonplussed at this guy in carpenter jeans and tee-shirt wearing a backpack who shows up, grabs a coffee and heads upstairs. But they are alway polite, and over time I get to know most of them. Very nice quiet and free place to sit and read.

Maybe some day I'll up my status assignment by wearing a black suit and Ermenegildo Zegna tie (things I actually do own!). Then back to Wrangler carpenters for another couple years.

Ha
Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a 4 week road trip. It confirmed that I do not need to read the WSJ. I can't afford the time in the morning with so many better creative activities planned. Then I just feel guilty for letting it sit there. So after it lapses in another month I'm going cold turkey. BTW, I like to use it for catching the little shavings from my electric shaver each morning because the print doesn't tend to rub off like the local paper. So I'm saving a stack of old ones.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm probably going to let my online sub expire in Dec. I'll give them a few weeks to trying to entice me back. Right now I know you can get it for $99 vs the $119 regular price.

I understand why companies try to maximize profits by charging more for renewals than new subscribers but it pisses me off that if I've subscribed to magazine, website etc. and I cancel I invariably get a better deal than simply resubscribing. It has to cost the company time and money to handle the administration.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I just had a 'come back' offer of $59 for a year (online).......no thanks.......
tjon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Thanks good to know that it is a $59, I'll ask for that.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy the WSJ a lot--The news is concise but has enough background to provide context, I enjoy the editorials, and I even the fluff "lifestyle" stuff of higher utility than the material in my local paper. When I travel I buy it from the newsstand at the cover price and consider it a fair deal for an hour of quality reading while on the plane. Still, paying the subscription price for home reading seemed steep. So, I traded some airline frequent flyer miles, and I'm waiting for my home delivery to start. I "paid" 3000 miles for 38 weeks of the paper. Given all the hassles in trying to use these miles to get airline tickets these days, I think their market value is about 1 cent each, so this cost me $30 for 9 months of the WSJ.

https://delta.mpmvp.com/magazine/choose.asp
38 weeks for 3300 Delta Airline miles

https://nwa.mpmvp.com/magazine/choose.asp
38 weeks for 3300 Northwest miles

(There are other airline-specific sites out there)

You can also get 51 weeks of the Economist magazine for approx the same number of miles--another fantastic bargain.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry I missed this thread when it began.

I've been a WSJ subscriber for years; love the paper; plan to continue my subscription indefinitely. I generally skip or skim over political articles; not because of any slant but because of disinterest.

Many articles have lead me to research companies or industries in which I later purchase shares. This past week a brief article about self-care health tools (Tech Firms See Growth in Self-Care Tools by Victoria E. Knight) prompted me to research this particular segment of the health-care industry.

Also, I don't like reading articles, especially lengthy ones, online. It gives me a headache. The paper is portable; handy while waiting for appointments and in the car while DH is driving. Plus, the paper is cuttable (is that word?). I've cut out many articles to save for future reference.

It costs more than I wish it would but then so do my haircuts.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Letting your subscription to WSJ expire reminds me that I recently let my subscription to Sports Illustrated expire as I was tired of reading it after about 30 years. When I started it long ago there was no ESPN. I now get ESPN about 5 different channels on the cable so by the time SI comes to me on Thursday it's old news.

After they finally cancelled my subscription in June, SI sent me a brand new year subscription (for free, I thought), then I received a letter from them with a $40 bill attached for 56 issues. The letter had a P.S. "If you have already sent in your payment, Thanks". How could I have sent in any $, I did not know that I was enrolled

I am waiting now for the threatening letter (s) to remind me what I "owe" them.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
It costs more than I wish it would but then so do my haircuts.
I haven't missed either one for more than six years.

Spouse has a "free" subscription to the local paper, which takes her more time to page through than I need to peruse their website. If she doesn't read it then it goes straight into the recycle.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I haven't missed either one for more than six years.
Uhh, I think I would rather give up WSJ forever, then be bald.
MGYog is offline   Reply With Quote
Latest price $39 per year
Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Latest price $39 per year

I gave up the WSJ some time ago. I don't really miss it because I can read many of the articles on the free version of the web site.

This morning I received an email "special welcome back offer" for $59 per year, including a $20 Amazon gift certificate. So, the net price would be $39. I guess this is what is called 'deflation' (or maybe 'competition' or 'desperation').

I'm tempted...maybe...

- plsprius
plsprius is offline   Reply With Quote