Join Early Retirement Today

dumping FA
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

dumping FA

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the help so far....

You have convinced me to pull the trigger and officially dump my FA. Turns out I have a bunch of 3 star funds a couple of 2 and even a 1 star fund.

Problem is I have been in B shares for about 3-4 years. They convert to A shares in 5-6 years..

I have essentially $200k in not so good bond funds and $100k in not so good mutual funds.

If I sell them all the capital gain is about $15k. I can off set this already with Carryover losses...

Concern is I will probably take a 2% to 3% penalty for early withdrawl.

I am rationalizing that it makes sense to take the hit since at Vanguard I can get 1% lower expense ratio. Since they are mostly 3 star funds or less I should be able to find comparable funds with better performance at VG.

Am I missing anything in my reasoning?

Also I have 6 Funds that have been exremely good and are rated 4 or 5 star. The are the likes of Calamos, Oppenheimer, American Funds etc. Generalization here, but can these types of funds go smoothly into vanguard and be sold off without penalties? (I assume there will be transaction fees?)

Also, If I transfer the entire account to VG will I run into problems tracking (making sure) the B shares become A shares or does that info transfer with my shares?

Thanks again for the help.

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: dumping FA
Old 03-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a one year hit, then better investing after that.

This should also serve as a warning to people thinking about turning over their financial lives. Be careful you dont end up in expensive underperformers with a financial hurdle that has to be jumped before you can leave. :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Sounds like a one year hit, then better investing after that.

This should also serve as a warning to people thinking about turning over their financial lives.* Be careful you dont end up in expensive underperformers with a financial hurdle that has to be jumped before you can leave. :P
I hear ya on that one!

My after tax portfolio started out as a "learning" experience...sort of like training wheels to learn about investing. The trouble is I have a few stocks I picked that had a nice run up in the late '90s that have a basis of under a $ now. To sell them off would be a nasty tax hit so these may lie around until I croak so my kids can get a new basis at current market value. The trick is to die before the company does.

Actually, once I finally ER for good my income will be much lower and the tax hit will be much less then. It is sort of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. The stocks have been moving sideways (some actually down) so I am losing on paper but as long as I don't sell I have not lost anything and I pay no taxes. They also don't increase in value much so which is worse... a huge tax bill now and a future gain on what is left or do nothing and lose equity but not real cash?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My after tax portfolio started out as a "learning" experience...sort of like training wheels to learn about investing. The trouble is I have a few stocks I picked that had a nice run up in the late '90s that have a basis of under a $ now. To sell them off would be a nasty tax hit so these may lie around until I croak so my kids can get a new basis at current market value. The trick is to die before the company does.

I am confused. You bought stock in the 90's presumably more than $1.00 a share. How is the cost basis now less than $1.00?

If you bought 100 shares of X for $10.00 a share (your cost basis). You invested $1000.00.

If it is now valued at $1.00 per share, you have a long term Capital loss of $900.00.

Am i missing something?

W
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69

I am confused.* You bought stock in the 90's presumably more than $1.00 a share. How is the cost basis now less than $1.00?

If you bought 100 shares of X for $10.00 a share (your cost basis).* You invested $1000.00.*

If it is now valued at $1.00 per share, you have a long term Capital loss of $900.00.

Am i missing something?

W
I held you post up to the light so I could see it and decoded it for the others to see.

The answer is stock splits. Basis goes down when the stock splits. I have one company that split 5 times already that will half the original cost each time that happens while it doubles the number of shares.
(hint: DELL)

By basis is $0.54 per share.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I had to put lemon juice on it and hold it to a light bulb...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you get the pretty little box around the post so folks know what you are replying to.... I thought changing the color would be helpful, since cutting and pasting didn't do it?

I stink!

Hour and a half liquid lunch may have helped, I think I did it once before.

One plus of a few beverages is that I think I convinced myself that this Anal Glaucoma is not going to go away.

T/W

Old 03-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How do you get the pretty little box around the post so folks know what you are replying to.... I thought changing the color would be helpful, since cutting and pasting didn't do it?

I stink!

Hour and a half liquid lunch may have helped, I think I did it once before.

One plus of a few beverages is that I think I convinced myself that this Anal Glaucoma is not going to go away.

T/W

Walleygator: click on "quote" in the upper right corner of the post that you are replying to, self explanatory after that.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
Walleygator:* *click on "quote" in the upper right corner of the post that you are replying to,* *self explanatory after that.
Brilliant! Me so Smart

Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Am I the only one who thinks that some of these avatars need to have their graphics considerably enlarged for closer appraisal?

Wally, do you have a link to that?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Woman. Big bazoombas. Golf clubs. Golf. Theres a joke in here somewhere.

Someone put in a call to "Bob"....
Old 03-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Someone put in a call to "Bob"....
Oh, Bob's working on it with Al's stuffed beaver, but he has to whip out his big... er... magnifying glass.

No, I won't tell you whether that's Bob or the beaver!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I hope the beavers not that big.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the help so far....

You have convinced me to pull the trigger and officially dump my FA. Turns out I have a bunch of 3 star funds a couple of 2 and even a 1 star fund.

Problem is I have been in B shares for about 3-4 years.* They convert to A shares in 5-6 years..

I have essentially $200k in not so good bond funds and $100k in not so good mutual funds.

If I sell them all the capital gain is about $15k. I can off set this already with Carryover losses...

Concern is I will probably take a 2% to 3% penalty for early withdrawl.

I am rationalizing that it makes sense to take the hit since at Vanguard I can get 1% lower expense ratio. Since they are mostly 3 star funds or less I should be able to find comparable funds with better performance at VG.

Am I missing anything in my reasoning?

Also I have 6 Funds that have been exremely good and are rated 4 or 5 star. The are the likes of Calamos, Oppenheimer, American Funds etc.* Generalization here, but can these types of funds go smoothly into vanguard and be sold off without penalties? (I assume there will be transaction fees?)

Also, If I transfer the entire account to VG will I run into problems tracking (making sure) the B shares become A shares or does that info transfer with my shares?

Thanks again for the help.

Wally
I can relate.* Am in a similar boat with my FA.* I went in to check out the performance and see how much I would have to pay in taxes to liquidate. I didn't realize that many of the funds I was in were actually Front End Loads.* Jees, what an idiot I am.....
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutearly
I didn't realize that many of the funds I was in were actually Front End Loads.
Well, the 'good' news is, once you pay the front end load, the damage is done - history. No reason not to move them out if you can find better investments elsewhere.

Those dang back-end loads are the killer, that can keep you trapped - but often, if you compare the expense ratios to an index or ETF, you might be better of just taking the hit and moving them.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Am I the only one who thinks that some of these avatars need to have their graphics considerably enlarged for closer appraisal?

Wally, do you have a link to that?
Sorry, I don't but I can email it to you if you would like. My email is pteksales@aol.com. Put Wallygator in the subject so I don't think it's spam.

W