Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
How many of you early retired without having owned a business, no pension, no health care benefits in retirement, no inheritence. Basically the new normal. A job, and LBYM. (And Children.....)
Count me in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a pension because my lump sum would have been punie, plus health care which I pay more into than when I worked..

Don't most of you w/o a pension have a lump sum? That would be considered a pension to me, plus the tax rate is cheaper when you w/drawl.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're in this category. We've saved like crazy people for 15 years now and budget on $2,500 / month (or less) living in Mexico (living well, I might add). This allows us not to touch our principle an maybe grow a little.

Even living in CA we got our expenses down to $3,500 / mo in LA.

Our dividends cover about half and CD's cover the other half. We don't touch our tax deferred accounts and DW gets a whopping $10k / yr in 17 years...pension

We count on reduced SS as we're 20-23 years away on this. In the next 20 years, we'll pay out of pocket on healthcare and are currently paying $300-350/mo for this.

Definitely need to be on the same page with your spouse and try to communicate expectations often. DW is always the money worrier. I'm the spreadsheet nerd who shows the numbers (in a conservative way)...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I suppose no pension is the new normal but there are still loads of people working in jobs with defined benefit pension plans.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

As of 2012, Only 11 of the Fortune top 100 companies still offered defined benefit pensions for new employees. By the way, this compares to 58 of them offering pensions in 2000. I am not sure those who still get a pension realize the fortunate minority they have become.

Fewer Employers Offering Defined Benefit Pension Plans to New Salaried Employees | Latest News - Workforce.com
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the few here (government pension) and I do feel fortunate..

Retired Fall of 2011 @58 :)
vttlarry is offline   Reply With Quote