Join Early Retirement Today

Early Retirement - New Normal
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Early Retirement - New Normal

With many of the post, the are many folks who have retirement income or benefits that are no longer "normal" for most folks. This would include pensions, health care benefits in retirement, and inheritance.

How many of you early retired without having owned a business, no pension, no health care benefits in retirement, no inheritence. Basically the new normal. A job, and LBYM. (And Children.....)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
How many of you early retired without having owned a business, no pension, no health care benefits in retirement, no inheritence. Basically the new normal. A job, and LBYM. (And Children.....)
<Hand goes up...>

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
How many of you early retired without having owned a business, no pension, no health care benefits in retirement, no inheritence. Basically the new normal. A job, and LBYM.
That's me.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's me for the most part. Just saved consistently since my late 20s and invested wisely.

I do have a small pension from one of my prior jobs but won't start drawing on it for another couple years and if I didn't have it it wouldn't have made a huge difference in my decision. Nice gravy though.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
With many of the post, the are many folks who have retirement income or benefits that are no longer "normal" for most folks. This would include pensions, health care benefits in retirement, and inheritance.

That would be me.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #6

Close, except for DW's small years ago frozen pension. But we both did well with stock options, which probably takes us out of just job and LBYM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Does having stock options from being with a small company startup disqualify one? [Some might consider that akin to owning a business]

Same as Animorph - but no pensions at all.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Of course, the likeliest result of losing access to the previously "normal" retirement benefits is not early retirement but working longer, with the exception of the unrepresentative population on this early retirement forum.

This is apparently what the "new normal" looks like for American men:

From this article: Catherine Rampell - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com
Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DW and I never owned a business, we won't have a pension, and no health care benefits either. Stock options helped a little but by and large we got where we are by living well below our means (saving over 60% of our lifetime take-home earnings).

I did receive a gift from my parents, but that was after I had already FIREd.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
<Hand goes up...>
+1

However, I was a pretty well paid sr exec, but lived a relatively simple life in my working years, compared to my peers (i.e., L-way-BYM). Saved a load in the last 10-12 years.

R
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #11

I find these responses very encouraging. It's nice to see that people can make it with a bare bones, decent salary, LBYM approach. I also feel that there should be full disclosure when giving advice on this forum. I've read of some promoting rather aggressive investment strategies of 100% equities or all cash, only to realize later that they have a big pension and bennies. There's nothing at all wrong with that, except that it can be misleading.
Personally I'm looking at Er at 58. A very small pension, frozen years ago, and retiree health insurance - for now. 95% of my retirement planning centers around what I have saved and invested over the last 30+ years.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #12

No pension, no health care, no social security, never owned a business either (unless you count being a partner in a law firm). LBYM was important. Having two incomes for some years helped. Having DW 100% on the same page as me was absolutely essential.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #13

Small pension, no healthcare, small social security as I have only worked 10 years in the US, never owned a business. Never married, so one income all my life.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Small pension, no healthcare, small social security as I have only worked 10 years in the US, never owned a business. Never married, so one income all my life.
Oby, aren't you eligible for non-US healthcare or a state pension?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #15

I will have the UK State pension plus another small pension from another EU country (my country of birth).

Regarding healthcare, I will have healthcare coverage if I move back to the EU. If I stay in the US, I guess I will have to buy my own private insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oby, aren't you eligible for non-US healthcare or a state pension?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I will have the UK State pension plus another small pension from another EU country (my country of birth).

Regarding healthcare, I will have healthcare coverage if I move back to the EU. If I stay in the US, I guess I will have to buy my own private insurance.
Thanks. That's what I recalled from previous threads.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #17

You are welcome. My posts tend to be short and concise for lack of time but they are always truthful about my personal situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Thanks. That's what I recalled from previous threads.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have no pension or subsidized health care (SIRE) and no business/real estate income sources, but we'll have Soc Sec, Medicare and evidently a small inheritance.

A variation on the FIRE vs SIRE question, not always acknowledged here when members dispense advice (the perspectives are significantly different).

Haven't found the actual FIRE vs SIRE thread unless this is it Poll: Primary Retirement Income Source

Edit: Probably found it http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-46680.html though almost no one is entirely one or the other!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Do you count people who had very high paying jobs, or big profits from their companies? Wasn't the ER forum started, in part, by folks who made out big in the late-90's dot-com boom? If you got a $5Million-plus bump (I don't like to call it a "windfall," since it's not as if these folks didn't work for their money), then you were pretty much set (although you still needed to LBYM).

Just a thought.

Amethyst

Quote:

Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Not FIREd yet, but getting closer...

Pension: first pension frozen about fifteen years ago at $23k; cashed out during the first layoff to make a larger downpayment on my house. Second pension will be small, but "free money". Might be enough to cover my house payment, depending on how much longer I last there before the grant money dries up.

Health insurance: heavily subsidized from former megaconglomocorp. Currently about $168/mo. for medical and dental.

Stock options: received a few hundred back in the heady dot-bomb days, but they all expired so far under water that Jacques Cousteau couldn't find them...

Otherwise, relatively good pay, consistent savings, and a 401k match, plus avoiding affluenza, for the most part anyway, is where the bulk of my mini-pile came from.

FIRE: a few months to years from now, about half drawdown from retirement accounts, plus a SS check, and the aforementioned HI. Might get a meager inheritance one day, though I told my dad to spend it on himself, as it won't materially affect my future.

Some good luck, some bad, but managed to wend my way through the maze with a few bucks left over...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote