Join Early Retirement Today

Early Retirement -- The Canadian Way
Old 02-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Early Retirement -- The Canadian Way

Here's an interesting story about a 34-year-old Canadian man who was able to retire early.

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet...50212/STMAIN12

From the article:

It's not as hard as you think, Mr. Foster says. First, you have to build a nest egg -- a few hundred thousand dollars ought to suffice -- and make certain lifestyle choices, such as living in a small town where real estate is relatively inexpensive. It's also important to structure your finances to minimize taxes and maximize your eligibility for government assistance.

intercst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Early Retirement -- The Canadian Way
Old 02-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not just canadian...we (my family) qualifies for food-stamps($400/month), free school lunches and even free health care based on my being so "poor"...pretty much no questions asked...and NO, I haven't taken advantage of any of that. Hope when the time comes for college financial assitance I am still considered "poor"

In Massachusetts, you could have $2 Billion dollars in assets that you are living off of, but as long as your income is low enough, and if you have kids, they don't even ask about your assets.

Now if they just offered a property-tax break for us poor folks.....that I wouldn't be so proud to pass up.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #3

I, OTOH, would take advantage of everything
available to me. My "pride" would not stand in the way
of dipping into government programs/funds. You name it, I'd take it. Why not? They will only piss it away,
otherwise.

JG
Old 02-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I actually qualified for reduced telephone and utilities before I was married. It was nice paying $5 a month for a phone instead of $20, and getting a 20-30% reduction on my gas and electric.

Same thing...assets are irrelevant, just annual or monthly income from a job is all they measured. So hey, I didnt make the rules, if I legally qualify, I'll take it.

When I called them to revert me to the "not poor person" plan, both the phone company and the gas/elec company were stunned: "Nobody EVER calls to get taken off...we just weed people out by random checks...you've got to be the most honest person in the world!".

Hmm... no.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

All you US citizens who look northward with envy might want to check this out:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/0...ion/21john.htm

(My apology to my Canadian friends...the opinions stated in this article are those of the author, not mine. )

Summary: If you are so sick of Bush and want to leave the US for Canada, this is what you will find:
  • Strange and maddening football games
  • More Canadian music than you can imagine.
  • Except for murder, a rate of violent crime as disgraceful as that of the United States.
  • A national political leader every bit as hard to look at as George Bush.
  • Perplexing food decisions.
  • The customary problems of socialized medicine.
  • A national infatuation with censorship.
  • Canada's trying to be European
Just the messenger.
REW
Old 02-17-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quite a few of the people I knew when I lived there in the 3rd quarter of the 20th century would tell me (with a certain pride) that they were on the pogey (Canajun for dole), especially those living in rural areas where income was seasonal. I moved to the States about 25 years ago, so some of these differences may or may not still be valid:

Z pronounced as zed, not zee, which was an easy habit to break.
A tendency to say hoose for house, which I lapse into from time to time.
Metric system.
British spellings (colour, normalise).
Bilingualism everywhere (except Quebec).
Very high gasoline taxes.
Blackouts of US tv shows on cable to protect canadian tv station revenues.
No legal right to own handguns except in specific limited cases.
Very polite traffic cops.
Electric utilities are called hydro, even when it's generated in a nuclear reactor.
School board divided into Protestant and Catholic systems and further divided into English and French, at least in Quebec. Jewish kids generally attended the protestant schools, and we envied them all of their extra holidays.
Typewriters (remember them?) with french accent keys.
No direct vote for Prime Minister (PM), only your local Member of Parliament (MP). PM is elected by party in power at conventions. No direct vote for Senator (appointed for life by the PM).

Things I miss most are:
Montreal smoked meat, St.Hubert bbq sauce and decent beer (tasteful Molson Export brewed in Montreal, not the Toronto dishwater we get down here).
Peek Freans cookies (or biscuits, rather).
The best pizzas in the city were made by Greeks, not Italians.
Being able to walk around downtown at night and feel safe (rightly or wrongly)
Excellent snow removal (they get plenty of practice)
Wonderful summers (short but sweet).

Old 02-17-2005, 04:46 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is a great article which I emailed to several former co-workers. Hope they read it before their next meeting.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #8

We have Robertson screwdrivers in several sizes. The square head fits snugly into the screw and never strips.

Unlike the ordinary slot or star screw.

We make right hand turns on a red light if the traffic is clear.

There is a definite separation between church and state in Canada.

Professing deep religious faith gets 0 points in politics.

Today is 2005 02 17 in Canada, the standard world correct date.

Americans seem to have no standard. Is March 2nd, 05 03 02, or 02 03 05?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've been told by a carpenter I trust - Robertson is the way to go for deck boards when I get around to rebuilding my pier.

Razzing Canada/Canadians has a history on this forum.

BTY - Do they sell fur lined aloha shirts in Canada? - for us Jimmy Buffett fans.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:53 AM   #10

Hello REW. Regarding "Canada's trying to be European." I have news for you. They are already there

JG
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Funny, I started using those square head screws about 2 years ago and its all I have now. Of course I drive everything with a dewalt high speed drill, so slot screws are out and anything with a phillips head ended up stripped half the time.

Unclemick...I got some deck screws with the square head that are course threaded on the bottom half and find threaded on the top half...gives you a quick drive at first (which is good), then the fine threads give you excellent hold and a clean head settle into the wood. Highly recommended. I'd also recommend using the composite decking...I built a deck over at my wifes old house using that and pressure treated lumber. The composite was actually cheaper than redwood and will last almost forever. Some of it is structurally not as strong as regular wood, so you need to find the more structural products or decrease the spacing between the supporting joists. Well worth it...no splinters, consistent surface (and with the little ripply ridges, good footing for a pier), and very long life. Also highly recommended.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

TH

Got a brand name for those variable thread Robertson screws?

I've been looking at some of the composite deck boards showing up at the local Home Depot - leaning in that direction. Given my lazy nature - will wait till late spring/early summer to decide if the pier gets replaced.

The price of driving piling - puts me off.

But have a ton of other small projects - that could use that type of screw.
Deja Vu
Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #13

Deja Vu

Reminds me of my thought process 8/68 - had just gotten my draft notice and was wondering if I had any options. Of course, one of the most popular options was Canada......I decided to forgetaboutit and ended up getting a Purple Heart. I have to admit that I selfishly checked out the Canada Immigration website - I guess I will just turn off the "tube" when "W" is on and stick it out. I hope my decision turns out a bit better than my previous decision.
BTW - I did inhale and I have never thought my service was a patriotic or religious experience.
Beststash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ayy...got them at home depot...heres a shot of the box and a pic of the screw itself.

Why not make a nice floating dock topped with composite and anchor it to shore...forget the pilings?

Quote:
TH

Got a brand name for those variable thread Robertson screws?

I've been looking at some of the composite deck boards showing up at the local Home Depot - leaning in that direction. Given my lazy nature - will wait till late spring/early summer to decide if the pier gets replaced.

The price of driving piling - puts me off.

But have a ton of other small projects - that could use that type of screw.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks

Will look for them this weekend.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

P.S. - a floating dock won't last here - Mother Nature is a tough taskmaster. Even with boats - you need a belly sling and overhead lift to keep above the storm waves.

4-6 rollers can come up in a hurry during spring and summer.

Lower platforms to get in and out of boats have to be replaced every few years. If you tie the deck or stringers 'too well' to the pilings - sometimes the whole thing goes. Controled failure - boards first, then stringers and hopefully the pilings stay. Or tie the whole thing tight - hope it goes far enough under water during storms and hope the waves aren't strong enough to lift the whole thing loose.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:21 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hello REW. * *Regarding "Canada's trying to be European." *I have news for you. *They are already there *

JG
Call me weird but I actually like Europe and Europeans (and this is not because I married a Scottish/Irish man). I have been to Europe 3 times (2 vacations and 1 3-month work assignment). I found them more relaxed, laid-back with some coffee and wine to die for. In Europe, I rarely seen overweight people and people just love their physical exercises. I see people ride their bicycle to work in winter (most cited environment and health reasons). Some European cities have bikepaths everywhere and you can go almost everywhere in Europe on public transport. One of my 50+ coworker is a transplant from Norway and he often rides his bicycle to work even during Canadian winter!

The fact that average Europeans are fluent in multiple languages makes me feel wimpy that I only speak English, some Indonesian, some Chinese and can read some french. You will also find that some European countries (I think Sweden and Norway) rank first-class in tax-funded National Health care. And do you know that in Sweden, university education is free (ie. funded by tax money)?

I remember thinking that if I am not a Canadian citizen, I would like very much to be a Swiss or a Swedish. (Too bad I don't speak fluent French or Swedish).

I really wouldn't mind if Canada heads toward the path some European countries have gone (Switzerland, Sweden, Netherland and Norway). Namely, being more environmentally and health concious with super-duper National health, education and public transport systems, and being more relaxed/tolerant towards "alternative lifestyle".

Jane

Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:51 AM   #18

Quote:
I remember thinking that if I am not a Canadian citizen, I would like very much to be a Swiss or a Swedish. (Too bad I don't speak fluent French or Swedish).
Hi Jane,

I guess, vous ne parle pas Swissish either

MJ
Old 02-25-2005, 06:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Call me weird but I actually like Europe and Europeans (and this is not because I married a Scottish/Irish man). I have been to Europe 3 times (2 vacations and 1 3-month work assignment). I found them more relaxed, laid-back with some coffee and wine to die for. In Europe, I rarely seen overweight people and people just love their physical exercises. I see people ride their bicycle to work in winter (most cited environment and health reasons). Some European cities have bikepaths everywhere and you can go almost everywhere in Europe on public transport. One of my 50+ coworker is a transplant from Norway and he often rides his bicycle to work even during Canadian winter!
Jane,
I agree with you. I was born in Europe eons ago and grow up in an old country family atmosphere. Although I am sure Europeans would find me as Amereecan as apple pie, I have always felt somewhat alien in this culture where big gas guzzlers, cheap gas (compare to the rest of the world), guns and wastefulness seems to be acceptable and a G-d given right.

I am thinking of moving out of the Northeast for warmer climates, better health insurance and maybe cheaper taxes. I would love to find a city in the Southwest that is somewhat bicycle friendly. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I do a lot of riding (5k+ a year) and would like to continue to commute, shop and get around by bicycle until I'm 103 then I'll settle back.

MJ
Old 02-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Jane,
I agree with you. I was born in Europe eons ago and grow up in an old country family atmosphere. Although I am sure Europeans would find me as Amereecan as apple pie, I have always felt somewhat alien in this culture where big gas guzzlers, cheap gas (compare to the rest of the world), guns and wastefulness seems to be acceptable and a G-d given right.

I am thinking of moving out of the Northeast for warmer climates, better health insurance and maybe cheaper taxes. I would love to find a city in the Southwest that is somewhat bicycle friendly. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I do a lot of riding (5k+ a year) and would like to continue to commute, shop and get around by bicycle until I'm 103 then I'll settle back.

MJ
MJ:

I wish sometimes that where I live right now is more bicycle-friendly. Years ago if I am not mistaken, there used to be a talk to build a "bicycle superhighway" here in Toronto so people can commute to work by bike. But then they scrapped the plan and build highway for car instead (the original DVP I think - fellow Canadians can correct me if I am wrong).

Past few years though I have been doing Becel Ride for Heart, to collect donations for the Heart Foundation. For the event (in the weekend), they closed part of one highway in Toronto (closed for cars) so bicyclist can ride on it.
It is fun like you won't believe!

http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca/rideforheart/

Jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote