Join Early Retirement Today

Early SS could be the smartest move
Old 09-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Early SS could be the smartest move

Interesting study reported on Bloomberg. I was quite surprised by this statistic.

Quote:
Others might be justifiably worried about their health, Slavov’s study shows. Early filers were 80 percent likelier to die between 66 and 71 than those who filed for Social Security after the full retirement age. Early filers are also likelier to feel unhealthy and doubt whether they’ll make it to 75, according to the authors' analysis of survey data.

Don't Fall Into the Social Security Trap - Bloomberg Business
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

same reason those still w*rking have lower mortality rates than retirees, ceteris paribus
Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Makes sense to me. Early filers for SS would include all of those who had an idea that they were in poor health and wanted to get into the SS funds ASAP before they were ineligible to receive further SS checks.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That settles it. I am not collecting early, it leads to an early death.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

I'm considering early SS in part because of family history. My mom and dad both died relatively young (lower than the SS actuarial tables would predict for their gender). My brother died in his late 40's. All of cancer. 3 of my 4 grandparents died relatively young of cancer.

I hope to match the remaining grandparent who lived to her 90's... but based on family statistics - taking SS early might be the more prudent bet.

I think a lot of people consider family history when deciding early vs late. After all - it's neutral from a $ POV (excluding spousal benefits etc.) Taking early makes sense for those who suspect they might die younger... taking later makes sense for those with family members who live longer.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

IMO taking SS early or late to try to maximize them amount you get overall is just a bet, like a lottery ticket. You'll win or you'll lose, but you don't have much, if any, control over it. I'm waiting to collect until 70 merely to maximize DWs income if I die first. The total amount collected has no impact.

Having said that, I'm with Senator, post hoc ergo propter hoc. I'm not going to collect early so I'll live longer.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
That settles it. I am not collecting early, it leads to an early death.
That was my thought as well. Same reason I stay out of hospitals -- people are dying in there.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I took it at 62 and both my longer term health and the health of SS concerned me. Probably both (myself and SS) need a major checkup and some preventative care. Since we (the DW and I) can easily get by without any SS, now or in the future, it was an easy decision.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
That was my thought as well. Same reason I stay out of hospitals -- people are dying in there.

I've noticed that too. Similar with going to the doctors office. Sure seems to be a lot of sick people in the waiting room.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
IMO taking SS early or late to try to maximize them amount you get overall is just a bet, like a lottery ticket. You'll win or you'll lose, but you don't have much, if any, control over it. I'm waiting to collect until 70 merely to maximize DWs income if I die first. The total amount collected has no impact.
No, the lottery is completely random. Death isn't. Your lifestyle choices can shift the odds significantly in many if not most cases.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
No, the lottery is completely random. Death isn't. Your lifestyle choices can shift the odds significantly in many if not most cases.
Really?
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't understand the comment about delaying SS till 70 to maximize spouse's benefit??

As I understand the spouse benefit rules, the lower earlier spouse benefit is at its maximum when you reach full retirement age (assuming they are filing against your income). They do not get any additional value based upon the primary spouse delaying retirement until 70. They only receive their 50% (or 100% if you pass) of your full age retirement benefit, not of the higher delayed benefit amount.

Am I mistaken on this?
Spokane2303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokane2303 View Post
I don't understand the comment about delaying SS till 70 to maximize spouse's benefit??

As I understand the spouse benefit rules, the lower earlier spouse benefit is at its maximum when you reach full retirement age (assuming they are filing against your income). They do not get any additional value based upon the primary spouse delaying retirement until 70. They only receive their 50% (or 100% if you pass) of your full age retirement benefit, not of the higher delayed benefit amount.

Am I mistaken on this?
If you delay SS till 70 to maximize your benefit then die at 71, I believe your spouse will pick up your higher benefit. The survivor benefit is different than spousal benefit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Spouses benefit is capped at 50% of the primary persons PIA.
Widows benefits is capped at 100% of the monthly benefit amount the deceased was receiving.

In English: spouses do not benefit from DRCs. Widows do benefit from DRCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
nate2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If you delay SS till 70 to maximize your benefit then die at 71, I believe your spouse will pick up your higher benefit. The survivor benefit is different than spousal benefit.
This is what happened to my parents and the survivor benefit. Dad delayed SS until 70 to ensure Mom would get the maximum survivors benefit. He died at 72. Mom continued his benefit for almost 20 years until she died a year ago.

From a financial modeling standpoint I'm currently planning to take my benefit at age 63. In reality it will depend on our financial situation at that time. If I don't need it I will delay it.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #17

I plan to take it at 62 and again at 70, to cover all bases.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
This is what happened to my parents and the survivor benefit. Dad delayed SS until 70 to ensure Mom would get the maximum survivors benefit. He died at 72. Mom continued his benefit for almost 20 years until she died a year ago.

From a financial modeling standpoint I'm currently planning to take my benefit at age 63. In reality it will depend on our financial situation at that time. If I don't need it I will delay it.
Between 65 and 70, your dad picked up a 40% increase. By forfeiting 5 years of claim, he has given your mom an extra 0.4 x 20 = 8 years. It's good but turns out not as good as I initially thought.

PS. Oops. Forgot that he himself picked up that 40% increase for 2 years. So add that 0.8 years and they together got an extra 8.8 years of benefits. Had he lived a few more years, it would work out even better. The longer you live, the more you win. Do I feel lucky?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I plan to take my SS at 62. Even with a modest ROI, the breakeven point is around the early to mid 80s. Also, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I don't trust the government to not change the rules.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #20

The modeling I've done says that to maximize SS, I should take at 62, my wife should file and suspend at FRA and then take her full benefit at 70. During the file and suspend time period, my wife will take half of my benefit. I'm thinking it will depend on how our finances look each year I'm 62 and over. Interesting is that since my wife is five years older, she hits FRA the same year I hit 62.

As for this thread, I agree that many people who know they have health issues likely are driving up the percentage of people taking SS at 62. I have a friend that was waiting to take SS but got a diagnosis of Parkinson's and went ahead and filed early.

Another thing is pensions. I'm not sure how they all work, but my friends that early retired from the autos are required to take SS at 62. Basically, their pension is X and once SS kicks in, they still get X but it is made up of SS+a smaller amount from the auto.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote