Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent a bit of time following the Preferred Stock Thread, and looked a bit into this. I gave it up when seeing that these stocks were so thinly traded, and it took some devotion to follow this market segment.

So, I went back to what I have been doing all these years: watching the common stocks in sectors that I have invested in for many years, and doing options to pick up a few percent here and there. There are many ways one can safely pick up a bit of extra investment incomes, and I can only do so much.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's what I do too. I've been profitable with international stock options this week.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Just curious if anyone knows of a few Preferred Stock mutual funds; I've considered it for some of the current cash/bond allocation. My cash allocation is too high, but I don't want to buy stock or most bonds right now, although I probably need to boost foreign bonds.
A concern is that I think both preferreds and dividend stocks are richly valued.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Just curious if anyone knows of a few Preferred Stock mutual funds; I've considered it for some of the current cash/bond allocation. My cash allocation is too high, but I don't want to buy stock or most bonds right now, although I probably need to boost foreign bonds.
A concern is that I think both preferreds and dividend stocks are richly valued.
PFD is one I have liked. I do not like it as much in a rising rate environment but you may.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
I would be careful with a fund.... it will act like a bond fund and lose value with rising rates... they also will be investing in lower rated companies... so not as stable....

The income return might be better though...
Old 07-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The following possibilities have the risk of the underlying insurance company or whatever "management" is associated with it:

I have not checked on SPDA (Single Premium Deferred Annuities) lately but they often carry better interest than banks - if they are still available (I have a couple still earning almost 5% - from back in the day).

Does he have access to a a "Guaranteed Income Fund" aka "Stable Value Fund"? The one in my 401(k) is paying better than 2% now. In theory, there's some risk of the underlying contracts, but that's supposed to even out. In any case, the rate is not guaranteed, but the rates SHOULD be heading up along with everything else (assuming the slow increase in Fed rates, etc.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote