Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Earning interest on 0% CC cash advance checks
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
How has this affected your credit rating, as a whole? I noticed that merely getting the card dropped my FICO by 20 points... so I'm guessing I'll take another 80-100 hit when the new balance registers.

But that's just one card....
I dunno exactly. I'm sure it's dropped a bunch. I am an unusual stoozer in that I don't pay for the opportunity to check my credit score across all three bureaus daily. I just don't see the point. I have tried to arrange my finances to where I hopefully will not need anyone to extend me credit any more. I do check my Equifax credit report at least once a week to make sure nothing untoward has happened identity-theft-wise.

I believe the people on Fatwallet who say one's score will recover and in fact likely be higher at the end of an AOR. In a year or so, I will have made 12 * 6 = 72 additional on-time payments, my credit lines will all be a year older, and I will have paid off over $90,000 in credit card "debt" (the 0% money I borrowed and have stuck in an Amtrust Direct account earning 5% plus). My credit history will be a year older. And I'll have 15 more credit lines than I did before.

I do think that one's existing credit history before starting an AOR will drive how many points one loses temporarily. If you have one credit card that is 2 years old with a CL of $3,000, an AOR will make your score drop more than if you have a longer credit history with more cards and higher limits. I did go through a phase for about two or three years before my AOR where I just applied for cards and increased my credit limits for no real good reason...just a hobby sort of. So I had a pretty good history to begin with.

I do plan to do a second AOR either some time this fall or early next spring, so I will be interested to see what happens then. I expect that the major issuers have already extended me all the credit they're going to, but there are other players out there as well. Also, it is not that hard to get Citi or Chase to issue you a card with a low $500 limit on it. You can then reallocate from another card that has, say, $30K on it. Presto, you're off and running again.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ive said it before... I am milking two awesome deals right now.

CITIBANK and DISCOVER... 0% for life...yes, life....until the balance is paid in full. Make 2 purchases per month (automated for me) and you are good to go

So....I'm making about 1500/yr (declining monthly)from these alone
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

F1k7 is the code online to use for citi 0% for life.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote