Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Right, same here. I don't think there's any solution. If one of us is coming home after the other is asleep, we leave the car outside.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Off topic, but we have the same arrangement -- how's the noise level in your bedroom when the garage door opens?
It's pretty freaking loud! We don't have a whisper quiet opener though. My parents have a similar setup and their opener is VERY quiet, I can barely hear it opening.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My parents have a similar setup and their opener is VERY quiet, I can barely hear it opening.
What brand/model do they have?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
While distance from the ruptured fault is important, it is not necessarily the driving factor. Soil and general geologic conditions can be quite significant. Think of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake (M6.9) in northern California. Some of the most severe shaking occurred in the San Francisco Marina district even though it was 50-100 km from the rupture zone. This was due to the underlying sedimentary fill. Also, consider the collapse of the Nimitz freeway in Oakland, also nearly 100 km from the fault. In part, this was due to higher amplitude ground motions caused by a "Moho bounce" (seismic energy focused back to the surface after reflecting off the boundary between the Earth's crust and mantle).
Yep. There's a lot more to it than distance. I lived in southern San Jose at that time, less than 10 miles from the epicenter, and there was very little damage in our immediate area.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The earthquake insurance bill came today, and the premium has increased to $525 (from $365 last year and $276 the year before). So I'm going to think about this too. My inclination right now is to not get it.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

insurance is cheap

I see people pay 3-4 dollars for coffee. Went out to dinner the other day and payed 50 dollars for four sandwiches and two drinks.

400 dollars is cheap peace of mind, especially now that I paid my house off.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Checking the map, we are either in or on the border of a "IX" area ("Damage considerable tin some structures built especially to withstand earthquakes; threw out of plumb some wood-frame houses built especially to withstand earthquakes....").

Liquifaction potential is high.

Since we're not in a major area, the insuring company will probably not go bankrupt if there's a major quake here.

So I guess I'll continue with it.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's that time again. I bought the insurance last year. This year the premium is $555.

Our two-story wood house was built in 96 and is bolted to the foundation. The deductible is 35,000 and the limit is $235,000.

Part of me says that if I don't have insurance, and the house is destroyed, I'll just put up a small house. That is, I'll self-insure.

OTOH, we are close to some faults here in far northern California.

I'll probably cave in again.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine was 499 with a 37,000 deductible this year. I caved already.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

It's interesting that the premium has doubled, yet the coverage maximums and terms have not changed.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's interesting that the premium has doubled, yet the coverage maximums and terms have not changed.
And yet some people continue to insist that we are experiencing deflation.

Now that oil is on its way back to $100 a barrel, I ask you -- what non-discretionary items aren't steadily rising in price? I see none.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote