Join Early Retirement Today

Earthquake Insurance went from $573 to $372
Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Earthquake Insurance went from $573 to $372

That was a surprise. Anyone know why?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Might this have something to do with it?

http://www.earthquakeauthority.com/U...e%20031010.pdf

Excerpt:

Quote:
SACRAMENTO – California Earthquake Authority CEO Glenn Pomeroy testified today before the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity and Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises, in support of H.R. 2555 (specifically Title II), which would allow the CEA to lower its earthquake insurance rates and policy deductibles. The subcommittees met jointly to examine this legislation.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Hmmm. We might consider adding it back on.

We cancelled it after my husband (an architect) did some seismic retrofit to our 60's era house. (Adding more sheer walls, better bolts/strapping to the foundation, better diagonal bracing - making all the corners rigid.) Also we found out when we built our granny flat we have "good dirt" - so little chance of liquification.

But that's getting down to a price it might be worth adding back in.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

rodi, my husband is an architect too.

When we looked at earthquake insurance on Bainbridge Island (before the shake a few years ago) we found that the deductible was untenability large for the cost. His approach was to design our house as if it sat on the side of SA fault and pass on the insurance. As a result when that shake did happen only a couple dry wall tape joints were disturbed.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That was a surprise. Anyone know why?
Was there a change in coverage terms?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
rodi, my husband is an architect too.

When we looked at earthquake insurance on Bainbridge Island (before the shake a few years ago) we found that the deductible was untenability large for the cost. His approach was to design our house as if it sat on the side of SA fault and pass on the insurance. As a result when that shake did happen only a couple dry wall tape joints were disturbed.
I have friends on Bainbridge - what a beautiful place.
I used to live up the road in Bellingham back in the 90's.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My icon is a pic from my former home, ferry passing through Rich Passage.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Was there a change in coverage terms?
No, it looks the same.

Every year I agonize over this, since the house is pretty new, bolted down, etc., and every year I cave and buy it. This year, no agonizing.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SACRAMENTO – California Earthquake Authority CEO Glenn Pomeroy testified today before the U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Housing and Community Opportunity and Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises, in support of H.R. 2555 (specifically Title II), which would allow the CEA to lower its earthquake insurance rates and policy deductibles. The subcommittees met jointly to examine this legislation.
Which California earthquakes is this Pomeroy guy an authority on? Did any of the California earthquakes assist in his training & examinations before he was deemed qualified to be an authority?

Did any earthquakes testify before this subcommittee?

So, Al, after the next earthquake will you be expecting the state of CA to help you repair the damage?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Which California earthquakes is this Pomeroy guy an authority on? Did any of the California earthquakes assist in his training & examinations before he was deemed qualified to be an authority?

Did any earthquakes testify before this subcommittee?

So, Al, after the next earthquake will you be expecting the state of CA to help you repair the damage?
We all know how fiscally responsible the fine legislators are in CA (I live here), so I'm SURE it is a sensible financial decision for the state.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in the Charleston SC area and ours went up. Charleston had a big one in 1886.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Ours has doubled over the last six or seven years, but it's still less than half your new rate. Insurance companies seem to have a dartboard just for determining earthquake premiums.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Insurance companies seem to have a dartboard just for determining earthquake premiums.
Part of it is a grab for market share (where they lose a little on each transaction in hopes of making it up on volume) and part of it is the price of laying off their risk on the re-insurance companies.

From reading the annual reports of insurance companies, I think they'd save a lot of time & money by firing their actuarial analysts and statisticians and just saying "We use a dartboard". Probably get better results, too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote