Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Easier to FIRE with no kids?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrane
a number of people who know about these things say that we've far surpassed the earth's carrying capacity of around 2 billion (we're at 6 now and heading toward 10). But I suppose the topic of overpopulation is taboo, as per usual.

I once heard that the absolute limit is 20 billion people. And even that many means that everything has to go just about perfectly, rarely a famine, everybody nice to each other, etc. With things that tight though, my guess is that we start suffering from the 'butterfly effect,' one phart in the USA and diarrhea occurs in half of China.

--Greg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah Malthusians
GO BIRD FLU!!!

Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Living together not = married

"Why not just wear a ring and live life together? "

Living together is not the same as being married. Once you make a real commitment by being married, things change. That is why a trial period of living together is not really a trial period.

If you live together (without being married) long enough, you spouse is legally entitled to some of your assets if you split, I believe. May as well get married with a pre-nup.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Living together not = married

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
"Why not just wear a ring and live life together? "

Living together is not the same as being married. Once you make a real commitment by being married, things change. That is why a trial period of living together is not really a trial period.

If you live together* (without being married) long enough, you spouse is legally entitled to* some of your assets if you split,* I believe. May as well get married with a pre-nup.
Whoa, hold on there with the legal advice.* It's not necessarily as simple as that.* It is quite possible to live together with your significant other for a very long time without ever becoming common law spouses, as long as you have a little knowledge about what the laws are in your state.* There are a bunch of factors that I can't remember off the top of my head, but two of the most important ones that come to mind are that you don't hold yourselves out to others as husband and wife, and you make it clear to each other that you don't consider yourselves husband and wife.

I agree that living together is not the same as being married, but it's a lot more like marriage than just dating.*

I think it's sort of like swimming.* You can tell a lot just by looking at the water--you can see it's not frozen, see how choppy/turbulent it is, and see some of what may be lurking beneath the surface.* But it makes a hell of a lot of sense to dip your toes in (and maybe some more) without jumping in completely.*
Old 11-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Not all states recognize "common law" marriages, and those that do generally require that the couple hold themselves out to the general public as being "married".

Quote:
Um, we've been "living together" for 26 years now, which significantly outlasts the "real marriages" of many of our friends and relatives.

From my perspective it looks to me that being married is often not the same as living together. Maybe all those married people should try shacking up for a decade or two until they get the hang of things?

cheers,
Michael