Easy come...

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I own a substantial stake (for me) in MOVI. I bought it last year in the teens and it has had a remarkable run. I believe the stock is worth 40 or more, so I had no interest in selling at 33. Today was somewhat painful to watch, but I still believe that the stock is worth a lot more than the market price, so I am more than willing to sit it out and hold for the long term. Days like this definately test one's testicular fortitude.

BTW, I think the stock is a steal at these prices if you are inclined to take a flier.

Yikes, Brewer, would a trailing sell stop have hurt you that badly?

Thanks, I'll add this one to the watch list!

I don't use trailing stops. If you are trying to guard against a collapse, they usually don't work. Otherwise, use of a stop tends to get you stopped out of an attractive investment due to short term fluctuations. In any case, I don't buy anything that I wouldn't be willing to hold through an ugly bear market and I have a multi-decade investment horizon, so short term thinking is something I try hard to avoid.

Brewer -

Off topic. Are you following the newspaper stocks or does it fit into your "left for dead" category? A bit pricey for me but nobody is buying in that area. Dean's Food spinoff today I believe under the name TreeHouse Foods, don't know the ticker. Fav older spinoff MGI. Good business. And this has been your Bloomberg update.

I find the newspaper stocks to be pricy. Haven't looked at MGI, but I will. Personally, I am waiting for AEFA/Ameriprise to spin off. If it is available at or below book, I will be an eager buyer.

brewer12345 said:
I don't use trailing stops.  If you are trying to guard against a collapse, they usually don't work.  Otherwise, use of a stop tends to get you stopped out of an attractive investment due to short term fluctuations.  In any case, I don't buy anything that I wouldn't be willing to hold through an ugly bear market and I have a multi-decade investment horizon, so short term thinking is something I try hard to avoid.
Nothing like an overnight 15% drop to test one's mettle in these philosophies!

What I want is a reliable indicator to distinguish the "short term fluctuations" from the "long term disasters". So far the only one I've found is any wire-service photo of a CFO being led away in handcuffs...

To my way of thinking, if you are picking stocks and can't spot the long term disasters, you deserve what you get until you move to indexing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom