Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
No kidding. I am always surprised at some of the "provincial" attitudes displayed re travel outside the good ole "US of A".
It's not too surprising. Only 30% of US citizens even have a passport. And that number basically doubled when we started requiring passports for entry into Canada and Mexico. I'd gather that nearly 80% of US residents have never left the continent, and don't care to.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Interesting article, especially for those who want to be world travelers after they retire.

Personally, I have no desire to travel and actually, I find that almost everything that I want to do is free or nearly so. Guess I'm pretty lucky.
Same here, but I would feel differently if I had a private jet and a personal assistant.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me that instead focusing on the attractions or lack of attractions of travel, the question should be strictly about overspending early in retirement and (planned) underspending later. I would think for most frugal people this would be a very unattractive idea.

Why live very cheaply when you and your wife and perhaps your children are really young, (admiringly called LBYM) then overspend after you no longer have an income?

When you are young you can learn difficult sports skills, new languages, etc effectively to high level of expertise. Even when you are "early retired" unless that is quite early indeed, and you really have a great deal of money, about all you can do is mass market tourist stuff in travel, or big home splurges or remodels or other definitely middle-aged activities.

I notice that others have framed this as a separate money stash, just like money earmarked to put children through college. Then it is completely different, you work extra to get this extra money for these early indulgences. You spend it,and that's that. Seems fine to me if that is what appeals.

Ha
Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
It's not too surprising. Only 30% of US citizens even have a passport. And that number basically doubled when we started requiring passports for entry into Canada and Mexico. I'd gather that nearly 80% of US residents have never left the continent, and don't care to.
*Ahem*.

Which continent would you be referring to? Some parts of the U.S. have never been a part of the Mainland, and 1.3 million U.S. residents can't be all wrong...

It's OK. You can visit here without a passport, and we'll even accept your American dollars in exchange for goods & services. Mahalo.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
From the financial planning perspective, it seems to me that extensive "travel while we're young" is simply something to budget like other one-time expenses. For example, I figured $x to see our youngest through college plus $y for kids' weddings and housewarmings. I just set that aside and calculated level spending for the rest.

I expect most people here have at least considered that approach.
Exactly. Whether it is travel or other big expenses, it shouldn't be a problem if it is planned and budgeted.

For us it is travel, mostly in the USA, Canada and Europe, but we plan a 3 or 4 month trip to Australia and New Zealand in a couple of years.

We'd rather do this in our early years while we both have our health and energy.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I would even go as far as saying that discretionary expenses such as travels or even "one-time" splurges such as for a used RV do not require that much planning (People routinely pay more for a new fancy SUV than a clean used class C RV would fetch).

So, one can pay cash for such extraneous items, then just think of it as a sunk cost, then it is over. No more worrying about it. In bad years, one just skips these expenses and hunkers down.

It is really recurrent items such as expenses to maintain a 2nd home or monthly payments on a new expensive RV that would require planning.

I might be a bit cavalier here, but this has been how I have been living my LBYM way without having to budget ever since I was in my early 20s. The main thing I have to remind myself now is that my means will be curtailed when I no longer have income from part-time work.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Travel has been a nice part of retirement for my wife and me. We typically take a "big" trip about once a year and a few smaller ones in-between. Since we've been retired we've been to Peru, Argentina, Chile, Ireland (our 5th trip there) and Russia. A couple of these visits have been on cruises. We frequently go to Montreal since we live so close. This summer we're going to do an Alaska cruise. We really want to go to Australia/New Zealand but are put off by the long flight. (Flights to Buenos Aires and Moscow have been long enough but I'm not sure my long legs can take a trip "down under." Guess we'd better do it soon or we'll be too old.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
*Ahem*.

Which continent would you be referring to? Some parts of the U.S. have never been a part of the Mainland, and 1.3 million U.S. residents can't be all wrong...
I stand corrected.

I wonder, though, of the large majority of U.S. citizens who have never left the mother land, how many have even been to Hawaii?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Difficult to believe, but some people think that they would need a passport to go to Hawaii, as it is 'nother country.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Difficult to believe, but some people think that they would need a passport to go to Hawaii, as it is 'nother country.
I understand New Mexico gets frequent phone calls asking if passports are needed to visit...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
We really want to go to Australia/New Zealand but are put off by the long flight. (Flights to Buenos Aires and Moscow have been long enough but I'm not sure my long legs can take a trip "down under." Guess we'd better do it soon or we'll be too old.
Australia/New Zealand are on our short list for next winter. We figure if we leave from the west coast, stop over in Hawaii (to get our passport stamped, of course ) for maybe a week or two, and then on to New Zealand, the flights will be tolerable.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

What? People still visit New Mexico despite all the beheadings and drug wars reported in the news?

We were lucky to fly business class non-stop from LA to Sydney, to Auckland, then return flight also non-stop from Auckland, all courtesy of DW's megacorp back then. Her pay was not great, but the perks, oh the perks... Just leaned back, slept most of the flight, watched a couple of movies, woke up for the meals (forgot how many), then we were there.

If anything to indulge ourselves, stock market permitting, it will be business class flights. Was upgraded to first-class once and it was bit nicer, but I would be quite content with business class, thank you.

PS. The above was our own leisure trip but with free airfare, not a business trip.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
We really want to go to Australia/New Zealand but are put off by the long flight. (Flights to Buenos Aires and Moscow have been long enough but I'm not sure my long legs can take a trip "down under." Guess we'd better do it soon or we'll be too old.
I much prefer longer flights to connections, but there's a lot to be said for breaking up the trip with a few days in an intermediate stop.

I'm not sure which Australia route is shorter for you... east or west?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
I stand corrected.
I wonder, though, of the large majority of U.S. citizens who have never left the mother land, how many have even been to Hawaii?
We've had several friends & relatives who will not visit here because it requires air/sea travel. I'm not sure if it's an issue with flying or seawater... or just too expensive compared to other Mainland destinations.

My father didn't enjoy visiting here because it was "too humid". Of course Colorado is so dry that I get nosebleeds visiting there, so I understand a little of how he felt.

My favorite Hawaii visitor remains the one who dropped a feedback card at the USS ARIZONA Memorial Visitor's Center. They recommended moving the Memorial closer to Waikiki because the trip out to Pearl Harbor was too inconvenient.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Holy Cow!

Just checked price of non-stop flight LAX/SYD. Econ: $1200. Bus Class: $6200. First Class: $17600.

I remember when we got the free business-class tickets, I checked the price out of curiosity, and if I recalled correctly, it was around $2K and this was in 1998 or 1999. For the leg from Sydney to Auckland, we got upgraded to 1st class even.

There is no way I can ever afford or want to pay to fly other than coach. Not even if the Dow gets to 20,000. I guess my fate is to be a peasant forever.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
*Ahem*.

It's OK. You can visit here without a passport, and we'll even accept your American dollars in exchange for goods & services. Mahalo.
I would like to go to Hawaii some day, but the thought of being in an airplane from midwest detours me from doing it. Instead we fly to USVI, because the flight is much closer and you do not need a passport there either. Occassionally we get an odd look because we pull out our DL and SSN instead of a passport that most people have when they go there.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I would like to go to Hawaii some day, but the thought of being in an airplane from midwest detours me from doing it.
We regularly fly nonstop Honolulu-Houston and Honolulu-Chicago. It's 8-9 hours but it's the only way to get a good nap, a good meal & snack, and a movie or a book. The contrast of having to make a connection in LAX or SFO breaks up the flights with some physical activity, but I never get in a good nap under those conditions.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I understand New Mexico gets frequent phone calls asking if passports are needed to visit...

Depends upon which way you are going at the border.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We regularly fly nonstop Honolulu-Houston and Honolulu-Chicago. It's 8-9 hours but it's the only way to get a good nap, a good meal & snack, and a movie or a book. The contrast of having to make a connection in LAX or SFO breaks up the flights with some physical activity, but I never get in a good nap under those conditions.
Are the width of the seats wider on flights to Honolulu? My GF says they are but I dont trust her (Im not talking 1st class either). I think she is trying to trick me as there is no turning back once boarded. The longest flight I have been on was Chicago to Vegas and I was about to go crazy on that flight. I will need to get mentally tougher to sit for 8-9 hours!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Holy Cow!

Just checked price of non-stop flight LAX/SYD. Econ: $1200. Bus Class: $6200. First Class: $17600.

I remember when we got the free business-class tickets, I checked the price out of curiosity, and if I recalled correctly, it was around $2K and this was in 1998 or 1999. For the leg from Sydney to Auckland, we got upgraded to 1st class even.

There is no way I can ever afford or want to pay to fly other than coach. Not even if the Dow gets to 20,000. I guess my fate is to be a peasant forever.
Don't forget about Premium Economy, which is a very cost effective option for many routes-we've been using Air France PE for our trips to Europe, and the extra legroom and seat width (for only a few hundred dollars per ticket more than std econ) definitely makes a difference when you are on a 12-13 hour non-stop flight. The last time I looked LAX-Auckland on Air NEw Zealand PE was about half the cost of business class-more than std econ, but definitely a consideration if one is already spending several thousand on a multi-week trip to NZ.
webdweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Income smoothing" in retirement is a new concept to me. I am wondering if it would be worth it to start a thread on this topic to share ideas ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... and income smoothing is a topic worthy of consideration in planning...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
esp dessert travel