Eating Out Considerations

We prefer to cook our own meals whenever possible, but when we do eat out it's usually for convenience. We choose from whatever restaurants are on the way to or from our destination. Since we tend to make the same trip every week or two, we have a few favorite places we like to go to. But, it's fun to check Yelp reviews and try something new every now and then too.

Obviously, good food is the main priority, but a nice atmosphere is a must. Eating out is a special occasion for us, so we prefer smaller places that are quiet and laid back. I don't mind slow service if my wife and I can spend time enjoying each other's company. We actually quit going to a couple of places we used to love because they got so popular and busy. Service got slower and it became so noisy we couldn't hear each other speak. Kind of took the fun out of eating there. Thankfully there are plenty of small and startup restaurants we can enjoy.

We don't eat out that often, so we usually don't worry too much about the price. That said, there are a couple of small places we enjoyed but no longer visit because they are way overpriced for what you get.

we love eating out and try all kinds of different places . our photography takes us all over and part of the fun is eating out in different areas .

we recently had a fabulous dinning experience . we waited a year to get reservations at a famous restaurant on the old Rockefeller estate .

it is called blue hill at stone barn and it is owned by one of the most famous chef's in the world .

the farm experience runs 550.00 without wine or 850 with wine pairing . dinner runs 4 hours and about 20 different dishes grown or slaughtered on the farm make it up . each table gets slightly different dishes .

we waited 1 year for a reservation for 2 and had to take a wed night at 5pm .

https://www.bluehillfarm.com/dine/stone-barns

we love eating out and try all kinds of different places . our photography takes us all over and part of the fun is eating out in different areas .

we recently had a fabulous dinning experience . we waited a year to get reservations at a famous restaurant on the old Rockefeller estate .

it is called blue hill at stone barn and it is owned by one of the most famous chef's in the world .

Looks great. Thanks for the link. I loved the wine list with sherries, vermouths and ciders. With cider prices ranging from $30 to $80 per 750ml, I am thinking about coming out of retirement and going into the cider business. :LOL:

it really was the kind of things you do once unless very rich . it is small with 25 tables . most were regular folks celebrating an event .

We go out to eat because
A) Im hungry for something its too much hassle to cook at home (usually Sushi or some delicacy) else I'll cook it at home. There are only a few things so it limits our options and it took us a long time to find someone that does it up to my satisfaction so we always go back to the same spot.
B) I'm too tired to cook (usually once or twice a month), then convenience and price is the only factor which means the local pizza or taco joint.
C) socialization which means its usually because a friend wants to check out some place and I just go along.
D) Its a special occasion which we usually have read some great reviews about some unique experience and save it for a birthday/anniversary.

We treat ourselves to breakfast a couple times per month. Our favorite places include Eggspectation, First Watch, and Mimi's Cafe which is supposed to be New Orleans Style. Mimi's closed recently. Funny how my breakfast runs $11 with tip when I dine alone but it's $30-40 for 2 of us.

We don't go out to eat at steakhouses because it's so easy to fix excellent steaks at home, and we've also got the sides down, and we have a great selection of wine in the cellar.

We feel like this most of the time, but will occasionally make an exception for two reasons:
- LOVE the sizzling butter on the Ruth's Chris streaks and haven't been able to duplicate their cooking method at home, so we occasionally splurge there, usually for a birthday or anniversary dinner
- We can walk to a high end local steakhouse that doesn't charge corkage. We share a wedge salad and a 12 oz filet with a nice bottle of wine from our cellar and can get out of there for around $100 including tax & tip.

Most of our restaurants visits are while traveling (we go out maybe once a month otherwise).

So where we are heavily influences it. If we're over \seas, we like to eat at "local" food restaurants. Why go for Italian when you are in Germany?

Traveling around the US we rely on Yelp and usually pick highly rated places. That works about 90% of the time. Even then, local is our preference. Fresh fish if on the coast, brisket in Texas, etc.

we would very likely try a place that friends or relatives recommend. Sometimes we just try a place because it looks like the kind of place we might like and is run by a local family with a reputation to uphold.
My neighbor recommended a restaurant which I found to be not good. Found out she recommended because her daughter worked their. Some people go to a restaurant to eat, some do not. Important to understand which restaurants are good to EAT at for me.

She was anxious to see if I tried the house cocktail..but I don't drink :facepalm:

My neighbor recommended a restaurant which I found to be not good. Found out she recommended because her daughter worked their. Some people go to a restaurant to eat, some do not. Important to understand which restaurants are good to EAT at for me.

She was anxious to see if I tried the house cocktail..but I don't drink :facepalm:
Yeah a cow*rker recommended the place her daughter w*rked too. Actually the daughter served us. She served me the food that was poisoned with Salmonella! That was a week long dining experience.

Generally we go for food that we cannot or do not prepare or that cannot be easily prepared for two people or requires many items that we do not have.

So it is invariably Thai, Vietnamese, or Italian. Sometimes Greek but we do not have few really good Greek restaurants where we live.

We are eating less meat than in the past. We will go for seafood if we know it is a good place otherwise we do not bother.

We avoid fast food places altogether. We never consider going to a chain or franchise operation. We like small, family operated places. Went to a new one last night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom