Join Early Retirement Today

Ed Slott Advice - any good?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Ed Slott Advice - any good?

I watched a KOCE pledge drive late last night and they featured Ed Slott talking about, essentially, his book content "Stay Rich Forever & Ever" scare stories. Of course it was lite on real how to information. Seemed to me to be like the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" series. I googled "Ed Slott" and only came up with 1 review not having anything to do with retirement planning material.

Has anyone had experience using Slotts approaches? Or his current material an OK top level reference source?

Any opinions?
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

YES. I use his material and website. He may be the best in the country and the responses on the board are usually by CPA's or Estate Attorneys.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have read his books and seen him live. He is an IRA guru, no bones about it.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, I'll get his material from PBS & read it.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #5

Don't know what material of his you saw, but he's the expert's expert on IRAs. His IRA books are among the best ever.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't know what material of his you saw, but he's the expert's expert on IRAs. His IRA books are among the best ever.

A local Orange County CA PBS tv station fund raiser showed him talking about retirement and tax saving. For a $200 "donation" you get his book "Stay Rich Forever & Ever", a "Stay Rich Retirement Work Book Kit" and an expanded dvd of the show with more material. The "donation" is certainly more than the individual pieces cost, assuming you could get the "Stay Rich Retirement Work Book Kit" and dvd. But it will be a convient starting point for me.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpRyder View Post
A local Orange County CA PBS tv station fund raiser showed him talking about retirement and tax saving. For a $200 "donation" you get his book "Stay Rich Forever & Ever", a "Stay Rich Retirement Work Book Kit" and an expanded dvd of the show with more material. The "donation" is certainly more than the individual pieces cost, assuming you could get the "Stay Rich Retirement Work Book Kit" and dvd. But it will be a convient starting point for me.
I wonder if he could've showed Orange County how to avoid that bankruptcy thing a few years back.

Before you spend the money, check your library for Ed's books (he's published several over the last 10 years) or post a question at his discussion board:
Ed Slott's IRA Forum :: Index

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

He has several books in my library that I have on order now thanks to this info.

One I am very interested in has the following title.

"Parlay your IRA into a family fortune, 3 easy steps for creating a lifetime supply of tax-deferred, even tax free wealth for you and your family."

Putting all this money away and managing it is one gigantic hurdle, figuring out how to take it all out and manage the tax aspects the absolute best you can is another. thanks for the link to the forum as well.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
How to Parlay Your IRA into a family fortune, 3 easy steps for creating a lifetime supply of tax-deferred, even tax free wealth for you and your family."

Putting all this money away and managing it is one gigantic hurdle, figuring out how to take it all out and manage the tax aspects the absolute best you can is another. thanks for the link to the forum as well.
That book is on my desk at all times, it's a MUST READ for anyone with an IRA...........

More Ed Slott questions
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

More Ed Slott questions

I also watched the PBS Ed Slott show and two statements caught my ears. Since some of you seem familiar with him and his writing (or the topic!), can you confirm if I mis-heard these, and add any other advice:

--"It is better to pay IRA taxes now (if you can) and roll them into Roth IRA's because the taxes you inevitably must pay will be higher if you wait 20 years (when you might 'normally' draw out the IRA's."

--"The biggest benefit in the tax code is Life Insurance." --is he referring to tax exemption on life insurance proceeds, or on premiums?

Many thanks for any input!
rodenkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodenkc View Post
--"It is better to pay IRA taxes now (if you can) and roll them into Roth IRA's because the taxes you inevitably must pay will be higher if you wait 20 years (when you might 'normally' draw out the IRA's."
Ed believes tax rates will be sunstantially higher in the future, and will stay high for a long time. Given our govt's current course of action, he is right to think that..........

Quote:
--"The biggest benefit in the tax code is Life Insurance." --is he referring to tax exemption on life insurance proceeds, or on premiums?

He is referring to the proceeds going to beneficiaries tax free. He is BIG on Roth IRAs because you can create tax-free income for tour heirs........

Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ed believes tax rates will be sunstantially higher in the future, and will stay high for a long time. Given our govt's current course of action, he is right to think that..........
While that may be true, what's really important is what your individual rate will be. If you will be in a significantly lower bracket in FIRE, then paying later may be smarter. This will likely be the case with us. We're in the 33% bracket now...and I'm estimating we'll be in the middle of the 25% bracket later. Sure, that 25% bracket may become a 30% bracket, but it's still lower than 33%. Could it be HIGHER than 33%? Doubtful IMO.

Each person will have a different set of circumstances and should weigh their options carefully.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpRyder View Post

I've heard Ed Slott talk about IRAs and he's basically selling knowledge and strategies that you can pick up free of charge with some Googling and application of a little tax knowledge. You could also ask on this board.

He knows what he's talking about, but I'd give the $200 to support PBS rather than to get the book, that's just a bonus.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #14

I think his plan is a good one, but not for the living. If you are the next generation he's on target IMHO.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
While that may be true, what's really important is what your individual rate will be. If you will be in a significantly lower bracket in FIRE, then paying later may be smarter. This will likely be the case with us. We're in the 33% bracket now...and I'm estimating we'll be in the middle of the 25% bracket later. Sure, that 25% bracket may become a 30% bracket, but it's still lower than 33%. Could it be HIGHER than 33%? Doubtful IMO.

Each person will have a different set of circumstances and should weigh their options carefully.
DW and I will have current taxe rate at 33% today and will wait to convert at at up to the 15% rate based on taxes rates today once ERd. Which we hope is soon. Another big consideration is lost the opportunity cost due to time value of money on the tax paid upfront when deciding to convert to a Roth.
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #16

My kids tell me this Ed Slott guy is "da bomb! We should follow his advice most def!"
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler View Post
DW and I will have current taxe rate at 33% today and will wait to convert at at up to the 15% rate based on taxes rates today once ERd. Which we hope is soon. Another big consideration is lost the opportunity cost due to time value of money on the tax paid upfront when deciding to convert to a Roth.
As I have mandatory 401a contributions of $15k, 457 at $22.5k and 403b also at $22.5k and then you add in itemized deductions I end up paying 16% tax. In the first ER years I'll live on after tax money and do IRA to ROTH rollovers up to the 15% tax bracket. I should end up paying around 10% tax and when I take IRA income it will be around $40k a year so my tax bill will again be close to 10%.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodenkc View Post

Life insurance done how most people do it will be added to your estate upon death. If your estate is large enough to worry about estate taxes, setting up a life insurance trust can move the proceeds out of your estate to your beneficiaries and not taxed to your heirs. This requires multi-generational planning.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is neither intended nor written to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to anyone a transaction or matter addressed in this communication.
pfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #19

I think another reason for favoring the Roth account and taxes now is to save higher taxes later if RMDs are high. Ed Slott advocates saving large amounts so that total IRA size could result in a substantial balance and potentially large RMD.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming View Post
Life insurance done how most people do it will be added to your estate upon death. If your estate is large enough to worry about estate taxes, setting up a life insurance trust can move the proceeds out of your estate to your beneficiaries and not taxed to your heirs. This requires multi-generational planning.
Mr. Slott also recommends using life insurance to pay whatever estate taxes are unavoidable. If your heir(s) own a policy on you (they pay the premiums), the payout upon your death isn't part of the estate and can be used to pay the estate taxes. He mentions that you can gift the heirs the money needed to make the premium payments. This works well up to a certain point, and assuming you can get the heirs to keep up the payments.