Join Early Retirement Today
EE Bonds vs. I Bonds
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
EE Bonds vs. I Bonds

With EE Bonds earning a fixed .6% interest, and I Bonds earning a variable 3.06% interest rate, would it make sense for anyone to invest in EE Bonds right now?

daystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by daystar
With EE Bonds earning a fixed .6% interest, and I Bonds earning a variable 3.06% interest rate, would it make sense for anyone to invest in EE Bonds right now?
I keep plugging away with I Bonds. I do it more as a hedge against inflation down the road, than the current yield. Remember the 3.06 is only for the this current sixth month cycle, and remember the following 6 months could possibly be 0% fixed and 0% inflation. The EE at .06% provides little value as you have to hold a year, and I can get 1% 1 year CD locally. If you plan to hold the EE bonds 20 years, they are guaranteed to double. That equates to a little over 3.5% a year plus shielding from state income tax. EE bonds held to 20 years compares very favorably to the 30 year govt bond right now. I guess it depends on a lot of factors if they hold any value for you.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote