Join Early Retirement Today

EJ is persistent...if not smart
Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

EJ is persistent...if not smart

Just got a call today from EJ.....not really sure why they called me. Mostly I talked about golf (warped in itself). I quit them over a year ago...When I brought up the topic of learning to do finances on my own he got real quiet. But at least he didn't push the topic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had an EJ woman come to the door--or so her name tag said. That was a surprise.

And we've never been clients....

Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Door-to-door in a new territory is part of the breaking in period for new agents. They are known for it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I had an EJ woman come to the door--or so her name tag said. That was a surprise.

And we've never been clients....
In 2009 I saw a thirty something young lady outside, EJ pitch but something wasn't right, the clothes didn't match the tats etc. I ask where one could come talk to them and got an oh were on the other side of town Whatever
The next day when everybody noticed their vehicles, garages, yards, had been broken into, that's when I had the oh yeah moment. Good job ignoring the spidey sense.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Door-to-door in a new territory is part of the breaking in period for new agents. They are known for it.
One claimed to be a neighbor, mile or so away. Nice guy, we knew better than to allow him to give us the pitch. A part of me feels sorry for their crappy job, but they do it.
MRG
Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #6

What in the world is EJ?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Edward Jones, I'm guessing.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
What in the world is EJ?
Gotta be Edward Jones.

A coworker was explaining to me how her neighbor came to her door and showed her and her husband these great charts of how much money they could be making... She ended up letting him manage their non-IRA savings. I told her she was being ripped off. A few years later she told me he explained that her TSP was in very expensive funds and that he could manage them for less. I could then prove the guy was taking them for a ride.

After that she wanted me to tell her what to invest in. I kept rattling off a list of books and websites she should read. I guess some people just want to be told what to do with their money.

I just can't do the blind faith thing. I've always preferred to make my own mistakes and try to learn from them.