Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

What is your average monthly electric use/cost?

It will cost from around $40 [350 kWh] a month in months with no a/c... to around $200 [1900 kWh] in summer 100 degree heat. But I keep my house cool.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Electricity
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Electricity

Without much extra analyses:

Lowest usage - 194 kwh, March 2016
Highest usage - 1641 kwh, August 2011 (one of the hottest summers on record in DFW)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

San Diego, CA-- home of SEMPRA.

$350/mos: jacuzzi, a/c, 1100 sq ft home 1 mile from the coast.
Gas dryer and water heater.

Ridiculous. My dividends from XOM pay it. Yeah!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last month was our highest, to date, electric bill this year. It was for (hot!!!) August. Our utility company also supplies our water, garbage collection, wastewater and Internet.

The electricity portion was $161.00 This is a for a 2200 sq foot home, geothermal (the unit should be replaced--original to this 30-year old structure---and we expect that update to happen very soon).
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Your stats are much lower than mine.

I've been looking for a smaller home.

But real estate prices here in Dallas have risen so much recently, it is cheaper to stay here.

Btw... I read recently... that one of the good habits of self-made millionaires is staying put... because moving is expensive.

We have the same issue with moving to a smaller home. So far we can't make the numbers work to downsize unless we move to a bedroom suburb or lower cost of living metro area.

Our energy company has charts to compare similar homes in our area and we try to stay in the bottom 20% of both gas and electric usage. Which as actually very good for us since we are often home unlike many of our working neighbors, plus this year we've had assorted house guests totaling several months of the year. We used to be energy hogs and now we are proud members of the bottom 20% energy users club most months.

Our gas bill for hot water only is maybe $10 a month, so I am also not sure what our neighbors who don't have pools and install $3 - 4K solar hot water systems are doing with all that hot water.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny View Post

Our home is 1500 sq ft, A/C , gas dryer and water heater, I did super insulate 1/2 the ceiling (will do other 1/2 when cooler).

monthly elec in summer $99 , in winter $55 the difference must the the A/C
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:13 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2900 sf home in inland northern California, no pool or spa. Electricity ranges from $90 in the winter to $130 in the summer. Also have an electric car.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #28

Quote:

Wow, that is crazy expensive when you consider all those mild coastal breezes.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:47 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

We are in the Dallas area and our electricity costs have gone down considerably since we switched providers. This summer, our highest bill for our 1400 sq ft house was $162. Previous summer bills could be as high as 300+! All electric house, set at 76 pretty much all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
TwinkleToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:49 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

This is 2 year electricity graph that shows effect of (2) new HVAC systems, beginning May 2016. Reduction in KwH is pretty dramatic. I don't have exact numbers handy, but it appears to be 40-50% less useage.

This is for 3,000 SqFt in NJ. We have natural gas heat, so the savings in winter will not be as dramatic.

Sep column is actually August temps, and the bill was $140.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (214.8 KB, 11 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:05 AM   #31

I'm no benchmark, couldn't resist to post anyway ..

Electricity use is <20kwh per month. Bill is <$5 monthly.

Obviously: No A/C, heating (that's gas), single person household.

In fact it's easier to list what I do use: 1xlaptop, 1 LED light, phone charging, washing machine, a bit of cooking [induction & microwave]. And a base load of 10W from the venting system.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #32

2,900 SF house in New England. Heat is oil. One room air conditioner run perhaps three times this past summer. 12 month running average is $118/mo. For what it's worth we have been converting to LED throughout the house and brought our bill down from our old average of $150/mo.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #33

Where we live, natural gas is much less than electric. We have gas furnace and water heater, so we really only have high electric use in the summer. Even though our electric rates are reasonable, I still let most washed clothes air dry overnight in the basement before using the electric dryer. They are about 80% dry before going into the dryer.

Could have bought a gas dryer, but they are more expensive and require a gas hookup being installed. Too cheap.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

$50 - $60 per month for electricity, which goes to $70 - $80 for 2 months in summer that I need AC

Heating (natural gas) is about $400 total to heat my home for the entire winter. This is for a 1000 sq. ft. house on the Canadian prairies.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
AEP Ohio provides some nice graphs of usage (we have a good sized four bedroom home with gas heat that switches to electric heat pump when the temperature is mild):
We get the same graph from Duke power. At first, I was irritated by another mailing. But now I've grown to like it.

My recent swap out of every light in the house to LED moved me from "average of similar home" directly to "energy efficient". I'm pleasantly surprised.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Could have bought a gas dryer, but they are more expensive and require a gas hookup being installed. Too cheap.....
Yep, I did the math on that and decided to stay with the electric dryer due to the long payback period. Interestingly, according to some internet sources I saw, a gas dryer is somewhat less likely to cause a lint fire because the temperatures are lower (though there is actually more heat transfer=faster drying of clothes). I didn't double check that, but it sounds reasonable. Anyway, one less combustion appliance is probably overall a safety advantage, or close (considering CO, gas leak, etc).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

2100 sq ft split level mostly shaded in the Atlanta forest. Early 60s house has poor wall and roof insulation. Gas furnace, water heater, and grill. Over the last year electric bill has averaged $132.50--much higher in the summer, much lower in the winter.
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
I'm no benchmark, couldn't resist to post anyway ..

Obviously: No A/C, heating (that's gas), single person household.

In fact it's easier to list what I do use: 1xlaptop, 1 LED light, phone charging, washing machine, a bit of cooking [induction & microwave]. And a base load of 10W from the venting system.
Probably most folks are quoting the actual bill number which would include delivery charge, account fee, taxes, etc.

How is your's so cheap ?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ridiculous. My dividends from XOM pay it. Yeah!
That is super high.
Could it be the jacuzzi needs an insulating top? Or does it already have one and they are that bad anyhow ?

Do you use LED/CFL bulbs ?

Could it simply be your meter is broken, sometimes they "break" and overcharge. Could be worth questioning the electric company.
Have you compared to neighbors ?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

The refrigerator in my last apartment used more than that -- 2 kwh per day. That's when we were traveling and it was sealed shut.

I've always lived in small places. My last few apartments have been roughly 6 kwh/day when present. No AC, washer/dryer on separate meter. Maybe 2-4 computers in various stages of usage (sleeping or running stuff in background) most of the time.

Now I'm in a condo in san diego. It's too soon to tell but it appears to be a similar baseline 6kwh. If I use AC it might go up to 7-10 kwh. Multiple electric dryer loads could push it as high 18 kwh.

SDGE has a tiered system where effectively people at the coast pay more for electricity. I'm still in the bottom tier due to low usage so about $0.20/kwh. It goes as high as $0.40/kwh.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote