Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

So my electric generally averages about 165.00 a month. I have a 3500 sq foot townhome.

lol, part of the problem is I still have college kids at home. everyone has their own tv's, laptops etc etc going.

throw in the fact that we just finished up our 7th heat wave (3 or more consecutive days of 90+ temps) and an a/c that is constantly on. I keep mine at 76 degrees all day

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Interesting topic, I thought I was one of the few that kept track...

We have a 5+ year old solar system that we added to a few months ago and converted our method of billing over to net metering. Our bills now have 4 parts pertaining to electric: Base facility charge, peak demand charge, on peak use, off peak use. For the rest of our lives we expect to only need to pay the first 2.

Our average use 2014-2015 was 17kwh/day for a most of the time 1500 sq ft insulated concrete form house. We have en Efergy home energy monitor, found out that our electric dryer would likely cost us an extra $50 a month in peak demand charge so switched to gas. Yesterday we used 20 kwh keeping the house very comfortable and very dry, including an extra room above and beyond the 1500 sq ft.

We have a few fixtures that run at 200w/hr and have made a judgement that it is not economically feasible to change them out from fluorescent to LED or other anything else. We try to limit vacuum time to 10 minutes as the 15th minute bumps up the demand charge. We have 19-25 SEER heat pumps, zoned ductless minisplits.

We would like to afford a Tesla as we have plenty of excess power generated. Figuring out the best charging method without greatly increasing peak demand charge could be tricky. We do offer nearly free charging for Airbnb guests!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
? then who they heck is buying all those multimillion dollar 5000 sq foot properties in NYC, non millionaires?
Mostly- yes. If you haven't read The Millionaire Next Door, you should- its a fun book because its about US- people who accumulate money by LBYM. When I was selling books door to door to help pay for college they told us to stay out of those high dollar neighborhoods- the people there had high mortgages and car payments and not much leftover for buying books and Bibles. A few kids tried it and found it to be true. Much more disposable income in middle class neighborhoods.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
? then who they heck is buying all those multimillion dollar 5000 sq foot properties in NYC, non millionaires?
I just re-read that- maybe not in NYC that's a different class of rich altogether. But in many ritzy neighborhood there are lots and lots of people trying to LOOK rich...
Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nursebee View Post
We have en Efergy home energy monitor, found out that our electric dryer would likely cost us an extra $50 a month in peak demand charge so switched to gas.
That sure is a lot of cloths drying. My total electric bill averages about $50/month, also use an electric dryer and estimate the costs at about $0.30/load, but no peak charges here.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Zinger- it was not many clothes. or cloths.

Peak demand charge= peak draw. So if I had an electric stove or an electric dryer (I had both) and turned them on for 15 minutes while they draw at a 5 kw/h rate, I was billed a demand charge per each kwh. 5kwh x $8 per kwh demand=$40 a month.

The actual electric was free. If we had to pay it would have been less than 50 cents for 15 minutes use.

My peak demand so far this month is less than 2kwh.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Those are great stats for AC in Florida.

No kidding if I lived in Florida I think the AC would run non stop. LOL
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #68

We pay 9 cents/kwh. Coal power is cheap.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny View Post
San Diego, CA-- home of SEMPRA.

$350/mos: jacuzzi, a/c, 1100 sq ft home 1 mile from the coast.
Gas dryer and water heater.

Ridiculous. My dividends from XOM pay it. Yeah!
For comparison. This is my combined Sempra (formerly SDG&E) bill for Gas and Electricity. (I don't capture the break out in quicken.)

Avg over the past 12 months is $120/month.

I'm about 2 miles (as the crow flies) from the coast... so definitely getting coastal breezes and marine layer.

We don't have AC. (But are considering adding it... It's definitely getting hotter than when I was a kid.) We do have an attic fan than we run during the hottest part of the summer all night, every night, to pull in that coastal coolness.

We have newer energy efficient windows in 2/3's of our windows... Made a huge difference in keeping the house cool during peak summertime.

Electric washer/dryer... but I line dry at least 1 load a week. Gas on-demand water heater. Gas furnace. Gas cooktop. One electric oven (for baking) and 1 gas oven (for roasts.)

2 teenagers who take long showers, 2 older parents (me and DH) who don't take as long of a shower.

We play the game - when Sempra offers "reduce your use" rebates - we unplug all the vampire chargers, make sure not to do laundry or run the dishwasher in those hours, and always get a rebate.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #70

Here's my actual usage for the past 12 months.
2000sf house, San Diego, no AC, no pool, 2 miles from the beach. 4 occupants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electric_monthly_sdge (2).jpg (47.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #71

My bill ranges from $100 to $200 a month. Soon to go really low when the solar system goes online.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #72

Here II am in central Florida, Tampa area. Newer home well insulated by a good builder. Total electric. Monthly utility bill is $115-$125 per month. Talking to my poker group, I can't believe how it varies on the temperature setting by that group. Anywhere from a setting of 72 to 79 degrees. Mine is set at 78 degrees. On a really hot day I might drop it to 77.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
On a really hot day I might drop it to 77.
Doesn't that raise costs; i.e., why would you raise setting then?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Doesn't that raise costs; i.e., why would you raise setting then?
Because I want to be comfortable.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
That sure is a lot of cloths drying. My total electric bill averages about $50/month, also use an electric dryer and estimate the costs at about $0.30/load, but no peak charges here.
When the kids were at home, our electric dryer added $40 a month to our energy bill. Our peak electricity rate varies but the last time I checked it was over 30 cents a kwh so about $1 per load.

I use a "solar" dryer most days now - drying racks from Amazon.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

2300 sq ft all electric house just south of Macon, GA.
Interior temps range from a low of 65 degrees to a high of 76 degrees. Programmable t-stat.
Average monthly over 12 months = $147.00.
Lowest month = $98.00
Highest month = $192.00
Average daily = $4.86 (A real bargain when you look at it this way)