Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm the OP... 8.8 cents per is total bill divided by usage.. as you can see, not a whole lot of mystery fees, just taxes mainly. Company is TriEagle

Texas has an interesting state run website that allow us to compare rates and terms of all of the resellers..

it is HERE
If you want to check out the wide variety of pricing and terms, put in a zip code... a Dallas zip code is 75229 if you want to explore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TriEagle.jpg (389.5 KB, 34 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

July usage was 955kWh. Bill was $156.37.

Rate is $0.1161, plus a base rate of $4.95, or $115.83.

With fees, etc., "rate" jumps to $0.1637...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #23

Total bill / Total kWH = $0.0957
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
How much do you pay per KWH?
Also in Texas. Our July was relatively cool though weather wise, so we must be in a different part of Texas. July bill for 3000+ sq ft home was $187. We pay about 10.4 cents a KWH (total bill / usage). A/C is set to 77 upstairs at night, 78 downstairs. We have ceiling fans in every large room and every bedroom, too.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #25

AEP Ohio

Cost per KWH isn't something they list on the bill ;-)

Tariff 013 - Residential Service
Generation Service $40.22
Transmission Service $7.97
Distribution Service $33.62
Customer Charge $4.52
Retail Stability Rider $2.94
Deferred Asset Phase-In Rider $1.65
Current Electric Charges Due $90.92

Elsewhere on the bill it says the meter was 33969 on 6/26 and is now 34522 on 7/28, so that gives 553 KWH

$90.92 / 553 KWH = 16¢ per KWH
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am always shocked to see how cheap electricity costs elsewhere. We pay through the nose here on Long Island.

Here on Long Island, PSE&G (formerly LIPA) splits the per-kwh charge into 2 parts. One is within the delivery and system charges and the other is a "power supply" charge which rises and falls fairly often (and is supposed to drop a little bit with our next bill).

I used 420 kwh for the ~month ending 7/21/14. It is usually my highest usage although this year I was away for 2 weeks in that time. Also, they read our meters every 2 months and provide an estimated reading on the off-months. This was an estimate reading so I expect my next bill, an actual meter reading, to be quite lower.

Adding the DSC and PSC together, which represents $75 of my $92 total bill, I paid 14.8 cents per kwh. If I were to use the entire bill which includes basic charges and some other small charges, I paid 22.0 cents per kwh.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

First 200 Kwh = 9.79 cents, 21.859 cents per Kwh above that, + 11.85/month "customer charge" + 4.10/month energy efficiency charge.

Total is $70-100/month. No A/C, no heat, in fact no 220 either - just lights and outlets.

Averaged 19.25 cents per KwH last month.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #28

All of the rates add up to:

$.091/KWH plus a $20.25 base fee.

$49.40 for 264 KWHs.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So do you mean - total monthly $$$ divided by total monthly kWh? Or something else? -ERD50
It has to be that in this case, doesn't it ?

Can you say to your utility "Thanks, I'll just pay for the electricity only, I'm not paying the delivery charge"

Far as I know, you can't go to the generating station and pickup your own electricity...
Actually, we can. So wipe that smile off yer face, feller! (j/k)

In my area, we can choose a different supplier, but we still pay ComEd for 'distribution charges'. It all comes on one bill. My neighbor may be choosing a different source than I am. Our municipality bargained on our behalf, but we can opt-out and choose another if we care to.

https://www.comed.com/about-us/econo...er-choice.aspx

But more to the point, someone posting here may not do the math on total $/total kWh, they might just see a line that says $0.88 per kWh or something, and as you say, that's not the whole thing.

I'll need to dig click up a recent bill to report that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a different perspective on electric bills. When I was a young man I spent a few weeks with my grandfather who lived on a farm completely off the grid. He had to draw water, light oil lamps, chop wood and "go" to a privy. My electric bill averages between 5-8 dollars per day. Unlike my grandfather, I live in a 2300 sq ft house, electric stove, air conditioning, inside bathrooms, 3 TVs, internet, garage door openers, water to the house, etc. I think my electric bill is one of the best deals I've ever gotten! Many people spend this amount daily at Starbucks.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

We pay $0.1109 / kWh total cost. If I didn't have an alternate provider and was using Duke it would be a little over $0.12 /kWh total cost.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Official charge for electricity is $.1308/kWh. Add in other costs and it was $.2037/KwH for 163 KW for a total bill of $33.21. I don't like the high cost per KwH but I do like summer in Wisconsin. In winter it's not unusual to use 7-8X the Kw for a total bill of over $200 for several consecutive months. I'm pretty good at limiting heat usage as others in my condo building use close to 50% more KW than I do.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I haven't lived in an "electric provider choice" area since I left in Houston in 2006, but for grins I looked at some of the plans in various parts of Texas where I have lived (within the city limits here and in our last town, we were locked into municipal utilities but outside the city limits in that zip code you can sometimes choose your provider). Most of them were in the 8 to 11 cent range depending on level of usage and whether you went with the renewable options.

What struck me is the trend toward monthly *surcharges* of as much as $15 per month for using less than (say) 1,000 kWh a month. And yet all we hear is "conserve, conserve, conserve" -- and you are penalized like this for conserving? (One company says "no surcharge BUT you get a $30 credit if you use more than 1,000 kWh in a month. They just increase the base rate and it's a stealth surcharge of $30 per month!)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What struck me is the trend toward monthly *surcharges* of as much as $15 per month for using less than (say) 1,000 kWh a month. And yet all we hear is "conserve, conserve, conserve" -- and you are penalized like this for conserving? (One company says "no surcharge BUT you get a $30 credit if you use more than 1,000 kWh in a month. They just increase the base rate and it's a stealth surcharge of $30 per month!)
It's because it's no longer about economics but politics. It's other people trying to change your behavior to fit with how they think things should be.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
How much do you pay per KWH? Texas is deregulated, so we have wide range of options...
Not entirely true. Many parts of Texas do not benefit from deregulation. Where I live, the local municipality owns and operates the local utility company. We have no choice of providers. My last bill was $0.103 per kWh. That's a decent rate, but I've always wondered why it's more than most of the for-profit companies that sell power in the de-regulated areas.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
It's because it's no longer about economics but politics. It's other people trying to change your behavior to fit with how they think things should be.
Not sure what you mean -- if it were about politics instead of economics, we'd be seeing the **opposite** of what I described above.

And nothing I said was intending to be political and I hope no one feels a need to "go there" now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not sure what you mean -- if it were about politics instead of economics, we'd be seeing the **opposite** of what I described above.

And nothing I said was intending to be political and I hope no one feels a need to "go there" now.
I'm just saying that when politics gets mixed up in a product, things get distorted and to try to fix some of those distortions, they add in various surcharges and such. Companies have to bring in enough money to stay in business on way or another.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

I also live in Texas and just signed a 3 yr contract for 9.6 cents/kwh. There is an additional charge of $10 for any month where I use less than 1000 kwh. Last year there were 3 months when I used less than 1000.

There is a $250 charge to break the contract unless you move from the location where the power is provided.
Oleanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I am always shocked to see how cheap electricity costs elsewhere. We pay through the nose here on Long Island.
. . . If I were to use the entire bill which includes basic charges and some other small charges, I paid 22.0 cents per kwh.
Me too. Here in Connecticut, I'm paying 24.57 cents per kwh. That's the total monthly bill, including a $16.52 fixed basic service charge, divided by the kwh for the month.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #40

Here in warm Southern California I just got the bill today: $158 for 776 kWh = about $0.20 per kWh. Looking at the bill even in the lowest "tier" pricing is still $0.15 so we don't aren't getting excessively reamed by the higher rates of the upper tiers - simply by the raw power requirements of our A/C unit - which I keep at 77 during the day and about 70 at night.

In comparison we pay about 25% of this during the winter months.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote