Electricity cost per KWH?

In Pa. 15.2 cents per KW hour. All that fracking isn't bringing the price down. :(

Since I gave the number(s) the OP requested, I don't understand taking issue with my adding something additional. ...

YMMV :D

It's just that it takes it far from what the OP was asking, and get's really complicated, and it's not sure what value there is in those added numbers...

I have a 12 foot ceiling. Should we be using the volume of the residence as the denominator? 😀

Exactly.... and degree days, number in the household, R value of our insulation, shade tree coverage, and, and, and....

kWhrs, per cubic foot, per person, per degree day.... ?

I guess I'd turn it around - what is it you hope to learn? What numbers would help with that?

-ERD50

It's just that it takes it far from what the OP was asking, and get's really complicated, and it's not sure what value there is in those added numbers...

Exactly.... and degree days, number in the household, R value of our insulation, shade tree coverage, and, and, and....

kWhrs, per cubic foot, per person, per degree day.... ?

I guess I'd turn it around - what is it you hope to learn? What numbers would help with that?

-ERD50

I was joking! I think KWH is quite sufficient to compare relative rates for electricity. Obviously if you live in a McMansion with drafty windows, you are going to use more electricity than I do in my 1122 sq foot condo. And good luck standardizing for climate. I used to live in an older home in a very cold part of Canada and while electricity rates were the lowest in the nation, I had enormous bills. You can only standardize so many variables.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
In CT, generation rate of $0.098 kwh, but total 'all in' including fees, $0.173 kwh.

Most recent bill was $343.12 for a total of 1424 kWh. This includes recent rate hikes and a slew of fees and other "adjustments."

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Consumers Energy Southern Michigan .15 / kwh total bill

I was joking! I think KWH is quite sufficient to compare relative rates for electricity. Obviously if you live in a McMansion with drafty windows, you are going to use more electricity than I do in my 1122 sq foot condo. And good luck standardizing for climate. I used to live in an older home in a very cold part of Canada and while electricity rates were the lowest in the nation, I had enormous bills. You can only standardize so many variables.

Sorry, my multi-quoting wasn't clear. I wasn't really responding to you, I was just using your comment as a springboard for my response to target2019.

I'll try to make that clearer - I thought the comment from meadbh, "I have a 12 foot ceiling. Should we be using the volume of the residence as the denominator? ��" pointed out the issue I brought up - there are so many variables to total kWh used, what would we learn from something like 'square feet', since there are so many other factors - volume (as meadbh pointed out), number of floors, basement/crawlspace/slab, number of people in the house, anyone home during the day, insulation, degree days, and on and on and on.

-ERD50

Last edited:
With rates like those and plenty of sunshine I am surprised that everyone in Hawaii doesn't have solar panels!

The solar business is booming in Hawaii, two more on my street this summer.
Island wide more than 10% of the house have solar and in affluent neighbors the number is closer to 30%.

This is causing some major problems for the grid. For certain circuits (i.e. substations) there is more solar than utility (HECO) can handle (according to HECO, critics say it is just an excuse.). Consequently, HECO is requiring a lengthy review before approving new PV system hooks in some neighborhoods.

In addition the amount of solar tax credits came as a shock to the state tax collectors, so legislator has been scrambling to cut back/and tighten up restrictions.

The payback period on my system is 5 years, it would have been 4 years except had to upgrade my electrical system. Even without any tax credits the payback period is still only 10 years, a 10% almost guaranteed (rates could go down) is still very attractive.

In MD, we can choose our supplier. Many of the low cost suppliers are based in TX, but our current supplier is the gas company from Wash DC.

All in we pay 13.4 cents and get ~.01/kwh credit for giving the electric company control of our AC when "energy event" days are declared....they cycle the unit from 25-75% during the event.

Our supplier rate is 8.6 cents. The local utility rate is currently 8.8 cents but the difference has historically been much greater.

I just checked our projected gas and energy usage in the utility company reports for the coming year and it shows $1,400. We could save a hundred or more off that off that with time of day pricing by DH isn't on board. He wants his A/C when he wants his A/C.

I think our worst bill from a few years ago was $4,500. Too bad we didn't think to go around with a Kill a Watt type device years ago.

I am always shocked to see how cheap electricity costs elsewhere. We pay through the nose here on Long Island.

Here on Long Island, PSE&G (formerly LIPA) splits the per-kwh charge into 2 parts. One is within the delivery and system charges and the other is a "power supply" charge which rises and falls fairly often (and is supposed to drop a little bit with our next bill).

I used 420 kwh for the ~month ending 7/21/14. It is usually my highest usage although this year I was away for 2 weeks in that time. Also, they read our meters every 2 months and provide an estimated reading on the off-months. This was an estimate reading so I expect my next bill, an actual meter reading, to be quite lower.

Adding the DSC and PSC together, which represents $75 of my $92 total bill, I paid 14.8 cents per kwh. If I were to use the entire bill which includes basic charges and some other small charges, I paid 22.0 cents per kwh.

I just got my latest bill for 25 days ending 8/15. The PSC dropped but my average price per kwh using only the DSC and PSC rose slightly to 17 cents because my total usage dropped to 348 kwh and the DSC did not change. However, using my entire bill, I paid only 20.6 cents per kwh. Strange how that worked out.

Here's our breakdown. The bill gives a per KWh then includes all the additional charges. We have a 2400 sq ft one story house, but lots of windows and 16 ft ceilings in living areas.

Extra charges amount to $0.027 per KWh.

Electricity Charges and Taxes Billing Period: Jul 21 2014 - Aug 19 2014

Base Fee $5.95
Energy Charges 2,199 X $0.091000 = $200.11
PUC Assessment and Gross Receipts Tax (Reimb) $4.33
Sales Tax - Other/Special $0.51
Sales Tax - City $3.07
Total Electricity Charges and Taxes $213.97

The average price you paid this month for electric service is 9.37 cents per kWh; this price includes your Energy Charges, Customer Base Charge and Advanced Metering Surcharge.

Here in Connecticut I have been averaging 16.9 cents kWh this year.

We pay $0.0947/KWH. Everything possible is natural gas (a major attraction to the house) including the clothes dryer. The dryer was $50 more for the gas version but I didn't even bother to do the math on how short the payback would be on that.

For me the summer rate is 0.125 (12.5cents per kWh) for the full loaded rate.

Oh cool I am the first Hawaii poster on this thread and I definitely going to win the competition as long as nobody from Maui or the Big Island posts.

Our average rates in Honolulu are $.346/KHW. With my solar system I use less than the base rate so I "only" pay about $.33. Fortunately the solar takes care of almost my entire bill, and I average $65/month which includes not only electricity for the house, but also for the Tesla. I figure less than $800/year of gasoline and electricity is pretty cheap.

I knew someone from Hawaii was going to chime in at some point. I remember back in the late 1990s when here on Long Island the state was going to replace (i.e. buy out) LILCO, Long Island's beleaguered and privately held eletcric company, with LIPA. I saw a chart with the highest electric rates in the country at the time. LILCO and its neighbor, New York City's Con Ed, were near the top. But Hawaii's electric rates were even higher, I recall.

But it was only in the last 12 months that LIPA was dissolved, mostly, and taken over by PSE&G, the company that provides electricity in northern New Jersey. Our electricity is still produced locally but PSE&G does everything else, I believe. From my previous posts, we still pay through the nose for our electricity. At least our cool summer has kept our bills down for the most part.

Or you could buy your batteries, solar panels and electric car from Elon Musk and not worry about it.

Tesla Batteries Might Be The Next Big Threat To Electric Companies – Consumerist

The factory will not only be making batteries for use powering Tesla’s current and future lines of all-electric cars, but also for the “storage market.” That storage line gets thrown in quickly and then passed over in most press releases and media stories but, Bloomberg says, it’s actually a huge deal.

.0775 in Alberta, Canada

BUT, the utility charges admin, transmission separately as an add on to the bill. So, even when we are away we pay for it.

Our 1400 sq. ft. condo comes in at about $70-$75 month when we are home.

Our electricity is a combination of gas and coal fired generators. Fortunately, coal is being phased out but not fast enough for me.

Supposedly .06342 here in suburban New Orleans, but after fuel adjustment, storm (=hurricane) restoration, and other fees, credits, and charges, .09365. In other words my last bill was $53.10 for 567 kWh. The AC is chugging along this morning as I type this, reminding me why my bill is that high. But hey, what is money for, anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom