Electricity cost per KWH?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How much do you pay per KWH? Texas is deregulated, so we have wide range of options... currently I'm paying 8.8 cents per... bill in hot July for 2400 sq foot house is $229. We're not very frugal on watching our usage. We both like it cool in the house and also have a doggie door which probably costs dearly. We with Oncor a few years ago and were paying 12 cents per.. summertime bills were outrageous then.

we pay about 18 cents/kwh for the amount over very basic usage. Fortunately we have solar to offset much of this expense.

You got it cheap! I thought $0.11/KWH was good ($0.1035 without tax).

Also in TX but our electricity comes from a regulated Co-op. We're averaging [-]$0.095[/-] $0.106 kWh, after a rate increase from [-]$0.088[/-] $0.103 last year.

EDIT: Included $25/mo 'availability charge'.

Last edited:
Our top tier is something like 36 cents a kwh and normal electricity usage gets us there easily. We have been switching over to LED bulbs, going around with a Kill a Watt, using drying racks, using solar lights and trying other tactics to get our kwhs down. We're under $100 a month now for gas and electricity combined except for the winter when the furnace is on.

Last edited:
Another Texan here. Paid .11 per kWh last month for 1650 kWhs. $182 for 2300 sqft. Thermostat is usually set around 80-82...

Three places: one is $.10, one is $.11, and one is $.18. The high one is a place where the electricity comes through two cables that travel 30 miles on the ocean floor.

$0.07520 (CDN) per KWh. My last bill was $51.91 for two months (July and August).

$.067/KWH in our town, because we own and operate the Hydro Station on the Illinois River.
Twenty six miles away, in our campground, the ComEd cost is $.14/KWH

This was a part of our decision to move here. Our city has a unitary government where water, electricity, sewer, waste removal and grass/leaf removal bills are consolidated into one. We're pretty happy with the rates, the service, and the overall financial management.

$0.07520 (CDN) per KWh. My last bill was $51.91 for two months (July and August).

That's just for the electricity. Did you include all the ancillary charges they add on ? That'll give you the true cost of your hydro.

After all the disastrous policies here in Ontario, we're paying $0.26/kwh once you add in all their fake charges. It's probably cheaper in BC but not by that much.

That's just for the electricity. Did you include all the ancillary charges they add on ? That'll give you the true cost of your hydro.

After all the disastrous policies here in Ontario, we're paying $0.26/kwh once you add in all their fake charges. It's probably cheaper in BC but not by that much.

Here is the actual bill. If I divide the total by the number of KWH, I get $0.106155 per KWH.

You are right, I am paying way too much for my home comforts. I should move to a log cabin in the woods and go off the grid.

:LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Including all the fees, charges, taxes, and associated nonsense, my summertime cost is 11.3 cents per KWh. In the winter, it's 9.8 cents.

Southern Cal Edison , 5 tiers starting at about 13 cents/kw (first 250kw or so), as high as 35 cents kw. The dogie door is prob. insignificant if it has a flap on it.

This is like asking "What's your Net Worth?" :) Include the house? , value of pension - cola/non-cola?, SS? , etc...

There are several components to an electric bill. There might be delivery charges, supply charges, connection fees, taxes, maybe several tiers of pricing...

So do you mean - total monthly $$$ divided by total monthly kWh? Or something else?

-ERD50

Here is the actual bill. If I divide the total by the number of KWH, I get $0.106155 per KWH.

You are right, I am paying way too much for my home comforts. I should move to a log cabin in the woods and go off the grid.

:LOL:

Well, it's not about the total amount. It's about the disingenuous way they produce their invoices. I used to feel the same way about the prices for "flights" Once you added in the airline fees and taxes they used to double. Thankfully those days are over. The should force the same honesty on utility companies.

So do you mean - total monthly $$$ divided by total monthly kWh? Or something else? -ERD50

It has to be that in this case, doesn't it ?

Can you say to your utility "Thanks, I'll just pay for the electricity only, I'm not paying the delivery charge"

Far as I know, you can't go to the generating station and pickup your own electricity... :LOL:

Well, it's not about the total amount. It's about the disingenuous way they produce their invoices. I used to feel the same way about the prices for "flights" Once you added in the airline fees and taxes they used to double. Thankfully those days are over. The should force the same honesty on utility companies.

I think there is nothing disingenuous about this invoice. Nobody enticed me to move to BC based on the price of electricity per KWH. Airline fares are different because you are making a decision based on the price. And don't get me started on Aeroplan! I recently paid $800 in fees on an Aeroplan ticket that would have cost me ~$1600 on the open market. Free, it isn't. I have since cancelled my Aeroplan credit card.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For July, we consumed a total of 480kWh. We paid ~$0.136 for the first 218 kWh (Tier 1), ~$0.155 for the next 65kWh (Tier 2), and ~$0.32/kWh for the rest (Tier 3).

PG&E, California.

Last bill was $88.88 for 693 KWH or .128 per KWH delivered to the house with taxes paid.

Airline fares are different because you are making a decision based on the price.
Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Umhh, no they're not really. People and businesses make decisions on how much electricity to consume based on the "price" every single day (YMMV)

Therefore the utility companies should stop falsely claiming the price of electricity is low when it isn't once you add in all the MANDATORY charges.

I'm the OP... 8.8 cents per is total bill divided by usage.. as you can see, not a whole lot of mystery fees, just taxes mainly. Company is TriEagle

Texas has an interesting state run website that allow us to compare rates and terms of all of the resellers..

it is HERE
If you want to check out the wide variety of pricing and terms, put in a zip code... a Dallas zip code is 75229 if you want to explore.

Attachments

• TriEagle.jpg
    TriEagle.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
July usage was 955kWh. Bill was $156.37.

Rate is $0.1161, plus a base rate of $4.95, or $115.83.

With fees, etc., "rate" jumps to $0.1637...

How much do you pay per KWH?

Also in Texas. Our July was relatively cool though weather wise, so we must be in a different part of Texas. July bill for 3000+ sq ft home was $187. We pay about 10.4 cents a KWH (total bill / usage). A/C is set to 77 upstairs at night, 78 downstairs. We have ceiling fans in every large room and every bedroom, too.

Last edited:
AEP Ohio

Cost per KWH isn't something they list on the bill ;-)

Tariff 013 - Residential Service
Generation Service $40.22
Transmission Service $7.97
Distribution Service $33.62
Customer Charge $4.52
Retail Stability Rider $2.94
Deferred Asset Phase-In Rider $1.65
Current Electric Charges Due $90.92

Elsewhere on the bill it says the meter was 33969 on 6/26 and is now 34522 on 7/28, so that gives 553 KWH

$90.92 / 553 KWH = 16¢ per KWH

Back
Top Bottom