Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Consider turning off the ice maker in your fridge. From what I understand, the ice maker is not included in the energy usage tag (!?).

The Heat Is On: NIST Zeroes In On Energy Consumption of Ice Makers

from 2011...

Quote:
Currrently, ice maker energy consumption is not reflected in federal minimum efficiency standards for refrigerators or in the voluntary Energy Star program, which requires energy usage to be significantly lower than the regulatory limit.
-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #22

Old habits die hard. My son's phone charger has an LED on it - and if I see it plugged in and the phone not connected it annoys me - so I unplug it. We have mostly LED bulbs (a few CFLs still lingering in lesser used lights.) If a light is on in a room no one is in - I turn it off and channel my father by yelling at the kids to turn off the darn lights!!!!

Cable boxes, DVRs etc tend to suck more power even in "sleep mode" because they are receiving data from the head-end... channel/schedule data, authorization data, time stamps, etc... so they have to have a portion awake and listening. DVRs with hard drives might turn off the hard drive when asleep, but the tuners that listen for data (vs tv signal) are still awak, as is the remote control receiver. You can't turn that stuff off all the way because we want stuff to turn on with a push of a remote button.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
… dropped our average monthly usage by about 500kw-hr.
Our usage for October was 408 kwH, so it is probably going to be hard for us to drop 500 kwh in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Consider turning off the ice maker in your fridge. From what I understand, the ice maker is not included in the energy usage tag (!?).
Good idea, but we do not have an ice maker. We do have those plastic ice cube trays, so no heating involved.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

My lowest monthly usage is 903 kWh in May. My highest month is August at 2,700 kWh. I have a pool pump, so that might make a big dent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
You could turn off one breaker at a time for one hour and see what effect there is on your cool Web interface.
I would have to do that in the early AM hours, as that is the time of the minimum 500 W drawn. It's too tough!
Old 11-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Our usage for October was 408 kwH, so it is probably going to be hard for us to drop 500 kwh in a month.
Ours bottoms out right at 400 kWh in October and March/April when we typically use almost zero heating and cooling. We're running CFLs but otherwise nothing fancy to limit electricity usage. I think you're at the point of diminishing returns once you're that low. We could knock another 100-150 kWh off that if we upgraded all the bulbs to LED and line dried all our clothes instead of drying everything (family of 5), plus upgrade the fridge (currently 12 years old). We cook at home all the time with electric appliances. And use the dishwasher almost daily (gas water heater though).
Old 11-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
A Kill-A-Watt is a good investment. I still have a few more things to check, but most everything I have checked led me to not turn it off - the built in sleep mode worked very well. Printers, and other things typically draw a single watt or less in sleep mode. < $1/year for average rates. Really not worth the wear/tear or trouble.

-ERD50

I agree that a Kill-A-Watt is a very useful resource to have. Easy to use, may point towards opportunities to save, and not expensive. AND you can lend to friends to try at their places, no hassle!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Used around 352 kHw in Oct. The only thing I can do to lower my bill is to unplug the coffee maker after 5-10 min and heat my cup of coffee using the microwave when it needs it. Anything with a heating element is going to used a lot of wattage like the iron or hair curler and dryer. If those are on for a long time without being used, it's money in the garbage.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehigh View Post
Anything with a heating element is going to used a lot of wattage like the iron or hair curler and dryer. If those are on for a long time without being used, it's money in the garbage.
Yes, but it's just not a lot of money. If an iron uses 1000 watts and it is left on, it will typically cycle on and off with a duty cycle of about 50%. At average electrical rates in the US, that amounts to about 7 cents of electricity for an hour. Even a clothes dryer, which uses a lot of juice, dries a load for about a quarter. Now, in Hawaii (or Alaska)--that's a different story.