Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, theoretically you can, but those "other risks" are still out there:

Opportunity cost risk
Interest Rate risk
Currency exchange risk
Hedging risk

And on and on and on........
Yep, that was the point I was trying to make.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, theoretically you can, but those "other risks" are still out there:

Opportunity cost risk
Interest Rate risk
Currency exchange risk
Hedging risk

And on and on and on........
+1. Thought it might be worth adding geopolitical risk too The Retirement Calculator from Hell, Part III. Another risk that cannot be eliminated...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What if losing ~20% of your portfolio is not an option as it would set you back to not being comfortable and may not be recoverable in a suitable timeframe?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
What if losing ~20% of your portfolio is not an option as it would set you back to not being comfortable and may not be recoverable in a suitable timeframe?
I don't think you present a realistic scenario. You are searching for unicorns, IMO.

Even if you are 100% fixed income, and you don't withdraw a single $, that portfolio has dropped over 35% in the past, in just 4 years.

here's a FIRECalc run to illustrate:

FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator

Real Estate can certainly drop by 20%. And I'm sure some of that drop in the above example is due to inflation. How do you hope to avoid a 20% drop? If you avoid equities in an attempt to side-skirt volatility, inflation may take you for a ride. No place to run to, no place to hide.

Short answer - you need a bigger portfolio.

-ERD50
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #25

If I remember my William Bernstein from long ago, a portfolio with 15% equities gives a smoother ride than no equities at all. Though that is probably all bonds and not all CD's or annuities. Same thing at the other end, 85% equities was better than 100%.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since we can't predict the future, how much is "more than enough" can only be determined based on what has happened in the past. One reasonable definition of "more than enough" would be a 2% withdrawal rate. At this rate, FireCalc will give 100% success rate for just about any portfolio mix, from all stocks to all bonds.

So the question then becomes, "what if the future is worse than the worst case from the past"? For bonds, envision a case where we have inflation like the 1970s, it persists throughout the investor's lifetime, and interest rates are kept artificially low so governments can inflate their way out of debt. A 100% bond portfolio would not survive this scenario, even with a very low withdrawal rate.

For stocks, envision a case where they drop by 89% (like in the US during the depression) and stay at that level for the investor's lifetime. If this happened, the 100% stock portfolio would not survive very long even with a low withdrawal rate.

So, if you have "more than enough", and the future is no worse than the past, then asset allocation really doesn't matter, since any asset mix will survive. But if the future is worse then the past, you need to be diversified, because you cannot predict what this "worst" scenario will be.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

I am blown away by this forum. The insight, knowledge, and thoroughness is incredible. The opportunity cost of just letting the money do nothing is probably what will drive me to keep it invested.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
So, if you have "more than enough", and the future is no worse than the past, then asset allocation really doesn't matter, since any asset mix will survive. But if the future is worse then the past, you need to be diversified, because you cannot predict what this "worst" scenario will be.
I think it is also helpful to have low fixed expenses in retirement. Financial security doesn't just come from portfolio return, but also other factors such as how many years of living expenses a household has saved up and how many diversified sources of income there are.

If your fixed expenses are half or less of what you could spend in a given year, then in retirement you can still be saving money, or at least cut back easily on discretionary spending during low investment return periods.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
...The opportunity cost of just letting the money do nothing is probably what will drive me to keep it invested.
Going back to your OP, the ironic thing is, if one has a very large portfolio (relative to expenses), it really makes no difference if the AA is 0/100 or 100/0. If the portfolio is large enough for a 0/100 AA to survive inflation, then a 100/0 AA will survive volatility.

More money is always better.

-ERD50
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP,

You might like to read "Worry-Free Investing" by Zvi Bodie which makes the case for the approach you are considering. IMO, you are right to reduce risk if you don't need it.