Eliminate Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
they should just do "forced" tipping, like they do at my golf club

I don't really care for tipping either. I do it (15-18% unless the service was extraordinary in the good or bad directions). It's just a cost of dining out that makes everything 25% more expensive (when you add the sales tax). So an $8 entree really costs $10.

I really don't like the sycophant fake waiters that try to chat you up and come back to check on you every 5 minutes. I mean, keep an eye on my glass, keep it full and I'll waive you over if something needs addressing or I need to order something else.

I realize that I tend to patronize restaurants that don't have waiters. Part of that is probably the fact that I'm saving 18% on every food purchase in exchange for spending 2 minutes walking to the counter to pick up our family's meals (thereby saving $5-10). The other part is my general DIY attitude. If I need more of something, I can just grab it from the counter instead of waiting for a waiter to acknowledge I need something, request an item, then waiting a few more minutes for them to walk a few feet and grab something and bring it to me.

Americans like tipping to show that they are bosses to reward servants. They show their dollars everywhere in the world, even in those places, like many Asian countries, that do not accept tips. I think tipping is a bad habit. Should students tip good professors? Should businessmen tip senators?

Here are what I did in Panama City. Taking taxi from airport to the hotel, tipped taxi driver; getting into the hotel lobby, tipped the doorman; getting my luggage, tipping the luggage man; in the morning, tipped the maid; eating the breakfast, tipped the waitress. The hotel managers should be responsible for managing their staffs.

I think tipping is a bad habit. Should students tip good professors? Should businessmen tip senators?

those guys don't get paid $2.50 an hour - servers depend heavily on tips for income

Americans like tipping to show that they are bosses to reward servants.
[max sarcasm]Yep, that describes all Americans.[/sarcasm] :cool:

Last edited:
Here are what I did in Panama City. Taking taxi from airport to the hotel, tipped taxi driver; getting into the hotel lobby, tipped the doorman; getting my luggage, tipping the luggage man; in the morning, tipped the maid; eating the breakfast, tipped the waitress.

that's normal behavior

Americans like tipping to show that they are bosses to reward servants. They show their dollars everywhere in the world, even in those places, like many Asian countries, that do not accept tips. I think tipping is a bad habit. Should students tip good professors? Should businessmen tip senators?

Here are what I did in Panama City. Taking taxi from airport to the hotel, tipped taxi driver; getting into the hotel lobby, tipped the doorman; getting my luggage, tipping the luggage man; in the morning, tipped the maid; eating the breakfast, tipped the waitress. The hotel managers should be responsible for managing their staffs.

Did you do all that tipping to show you were a boss rewarding servants?

Did you do all that tipping to show you were a boss rewarding servants?

I felt that I was obligated.

By the way, the waiters should not be paid $2.5 a hour, they should be paid at least the minimum wages.

By the way, the waiters should not be paid $2.5 a hour, they should be paid at least the minimum wages.
Maybe they make more than minimum wage now with tips. No one can produce the accounting, but wouldn't you think they'd get a minimum wage job if they weren't already making as much or more?

Many servers make a lot more than minimum wage now, and most restaurants (low, med & high end) I know of seem to have the same regular tipped wage servers for years. Turnover is far worse at fast food restaurants, where they are paid minimum wage, and there is no service - isn't that interesting?

Last edited:
Americans like tipping to show that they are bosses to reward servants..

Yeah, we are all pretty despicable. That's the number one reason that I tip the waitress down at the diner; make sure she knows who's boss.
Thanks for pointing it out !

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure the servers at my golf club make significantly more than minimum wage with the forced tipping.

Maybe they make more than minimum wage now with tips. No one can produce the accounting, but wouldn't you think they'd get a minimum wage job if they weren't already making as much or more? Many servers make a lot more than minimum wage now, and most restaurants (low, med & high end) I know of seem to have the same regular tipped wage servers for years. Turnover is far worse at fast food restaurants, where they are paid minimum wage, and there is no service - isn't that interesting?

Tipping shifts the staff managing responsibility from managers to the customers.

By they way, I should have used the term "masters" to reward servants. Tipping is just humiliating.

Tipping shifts the staff managing responsibility from managers to the customers.

By they way, I should have used the term "masters" to reward servants. Tipping is just humiliating.
I was a server in college in a pizza place and an upscale restaurant, made way, way more than minimum wage at both, nothing humiliating about it. What kind of restaurant did you work in?

Again, there are good servers who are being taken advantage of (by managers and customers), and steps can and should be taken to improve their lot. But that is not the case for all by any means, eliminating tipping just creates new problems. There are some intermediate steps that might help, but 'eliminate tipping' and 'pay all servers minimum wage' are like most knee jerk solutions...

Last edited:
Many servers make a lot more than minimum wage now, and most restaurants (low, med & high end) I know of seem to have the same regular tipped wage servers for years. Turnover is far worse at fast food restaurants, where they are paid minimum wage, and there is no service - isn't that interesting?

I rarely patronize fast food joints (or restaurants in general), but I tend to have really excellent service at fast food places. Quick service (McD's can prepare and serve a custom order in under a minute), very high order accuracy (probably tech related since many places display what the cashier keys in for your order), quick to fix mistakes including comping or replacing items. Quick service for follow up requests.

There are exceptions of course, but I think a lot of it comes down to management and how well they enforce corporate policy. I've done some mystery shopping at some fast food places and they evaluate their restaurants and employees on dozens or hundreds of details. Over two minutes from ordering to receiving food is considered a delay at McD's for example IIRC. Did the cashier smile? etc.

The bottom line is that I would expect a halfway decent manager to be able to distinguish an average to above average server from a below average server and get rid of the crappy ones.

I rarely patronize fast food joints (or restaurants in general), but I tend to have really excellent service at fast food places. Quick service (McD's can prepare and serve a custom order in under a minute), very high order accuracy (probably tech related since many places display what the cashier keys in for your order), quick to fix mistakes including comping or replacing items. Quick service for follow up requests.

There are exceptions of course, but I think a lot of it comes down to management and how well they enforce corporate policy. I've done some mystery shopping at some fast food places and they evaluate their restaurants and employees on dozens or hundreds of details. Over two minutes from ordering to receiving food is considered a delay at McD's for example IIRC. Did the cashier smile? etc.

The bottom line is that I would expect a halfway decent manager to be able to distinguish an average to above average server from a below average server and get rid of the crappy ones.
You're understandably using service as a broad term. I agree most fast food places are cheap, quick and accurate, that's their forte. But there's a big difference between production/queuing and restaurant service. What you get in fast food restaurants is the former, with only a passing resemblance to quality restaurant service.

Last edited:
You're understandably using service as a broad term. I agree most fast food places are cheap, quick and accurate, that's their forte. But there's a big difference between production/queuing and restaurant service. What you get in fast food restaurants is the former, with only a passing resemblance to quality restaurant service.

I'm focusing on the result, not the process. Fast food (where there isn't any tipping) yields great service in my experience, while table service is a mixed bag (mostly good), yet almost always involves tipping. How can fast food workers provide great service if tipping is necessary to ensure good service?

I don't want to get into the tipping argument beyond saying that anyone working should be getting at least minimum wage however the money is sourced.

The Applebee's here put in automated pay systems on each table. When you use them to pay the bill and get to the tip page, it pops up 20% for the default tip and tells you that you can change it. I have noticed that few people seem to be availing themselves of the automated system and the waiters seem happy to let them ignore the systems.

I'm focusing on the result, not the process. Fast food (where there isn't any tipping) yields great service in my experience, while table service is a mixed bag (mostly good), yet almost always involves tipping. How can fast food workers provide great service if tipping is necessary to ensure good service?
I gather we're having a tongue in cheek debate. You know the difference and you can dismiss the processes, but comparing fast food and table service is apples to oranges because of the process differences. You're equating fast & hot mostly self service to "table service?"

In the case of fast food, you present an order at a counter or drive thru, from a relatively narrow menu that rarely changes much (the Big Mac was introduced in 1968), the counterperson fills your order from rows of automated process pre-made burgers/fries/whatever, you carry your food/plastic utensils/paper products to a (maybe clean) table and often get your own ice & drink/refill, and you return your tray and dispose of your waste yourself. If you need something, you go get it. I guess you could tip yourself for doing these tasks well. :) What comes with table "service" is taken out of the hands of fast food workers as much as possible.

In a table service restaurant, someone does most if not all the above for you, coordinating timed bar and (several) food courses just for your table, from a (far) more complex and changing menu. So you tip them if all the services they do for you to make your dining experience pleasant, that a fast food worker isn't asked to.

We all serve customers, not just restaurant workers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom