Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So you have full-time jobs as landlords? Is that what you want as you get older? Or do you intend to unwind or pass the job on to the children?
The first plan involved our selling everything right about 2008 and retiring to a life of bonbons. Then we decided to sell a place per year. I spent about 16 months selling one little house while watching the prices drop, and the next years listing other places, worst first, and chasing prices down. Really got to the point it didn't make sense to sell, as the rental profit exceeded any reasonable return on about 70% of our sale price (about what we would have left to invest after paying fees and taxes).

We are landlords part time - like when we gotta be. We have one loyal and trustworthy person who stands in our stead most of the time. We are about to give him one of the multi units, doing an IRS form 709, as he would be in our wills anyway and we would rather he have the benefit now. That will reduce our income and reduce our rental headaches.

We do like places and buildings - rentals and property loans have allowed us to look at and participate in a bunch of places and actually make a living doing so. I'm just not as eager to make silk purses as I once was.

Edit: While inheriting our places at a stepped up basis is a great deal for our heirs I would rather not saddle them with running rentals - nor would I feel right about sticking our tenants with clueless landlords.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if you could form a C corporation and contribute some of the properties to the corporation in exchange for stock. The the corp owns and operates the properties and pays you for running it in effect shifting rental income to wage income and you can use that structure to take advantage of tax deferred savings opportunities. You could manage it so the corp net profit is mininal so no corp taxes would apply and the wage earnings would also get you SS credits.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd look at Vanguard's tax exempt balanced fund.....pays out about 2%, low taxes because over half of the payout is muni bond interest, overall safer than 100% stocks, increases each year because of the increasing dividends on the half that is in large cap stocks.....don't really have to worry much, lower taxes and easy to maintain. I sold a bunch of commercial RE and invested there....don't make as much.....don't worry as much!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the explanation of how you all are going to unwind all this.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What about 1031 into a REIT?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
While inheriting our places at a stepped up basis is a great deal for our heirs I would rather not saddle them with running rentals - nor would I feel right about sticking our tenants with clueless landlords.
You are definitely doing your heirs a favor. My parents left a bunch of rental houses in our hometown to us (actually they gifted them to us over a number of years). They were all older low-rent homes in a depressed small town, not close to where either my sister or I live. I think I've spent more having an accountant do my taxes than we've made in rent over the years. We've been disposing of them but some of them are impossible even to give away. One left that we just can't seem to get rid of. What a pain.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Interesting idea - not sure it is allowed as a like kind exchange, but if it is and avoids tax on the exchange that would be great. Can't imagine how divesting of the REIT would be taxed though - pulling profit seems simple, and maybe heirs could sell at stepped up basis, but if we were to divest or exchange for some other fund it feels like a tax nightmare.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Interesting idea - not sure it is allowed as a like kind exchange, but if it is and avoids tax on the exchange that would be great. Can't imagine how divesting of the REIT would be taxed though - pulling profit seems simple, and maybe heirs could sell at stepped up basis, but if we were to divest or exchange for some other fund it feels like a tax nightmare.

Just me, but I do not think that a REIT would be close enough for the 1031...

The reason for the 1031 is to defer recapture of depreciation... there is never any recapture of depreciation if you sell shares in a REIT... so, just does not pass the smell test to me...

however, if you are talking big dollars it might be worth going to a bank that handles these and talk to an expert... they know the various rules and could tell you right away what will and will not qualify...
Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just me, but I do not think that a REIT would be close enough for the 1031...

The reason for the 1031 is to defer recapture of depreciation... there is never any recapture of depreciation if you sell shares in a REIT... so, just does not pass the smell test to me...

however, if you are talking big dollars it might be worth going to a bank that handles these and talk to an expert... they know the various rules and could tell you right away what will and will not qualify...
Suspect you are correct but can run it by our tax person. She has shot down more cunning plans of mine.... Keeps us out of the kind of attention we don't need.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #30

Investing in upREITs as 1031 Exchange Replacement Property Solution Guess I should have clarified type of REIT. I looked into doing this years ago, just didn't have the potential tax liability to make it worthwhile, plus we decided to pay off house at the time with the extra cash.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Investing in upREITs as 1031 Exchange Replacement Property Solution Guess I should have clarified type of REIT. I looked into doing this years ago, just didn't have the potential tax liability to make it worthwhile, plus we decided to pay off house at the time with the extra cash.
Interesting... I had not heard about these... you still have the same problem you had before... just deferring it some more...

From the article (my bold):

The sale or disposition of their interest in an upREIT will result in a taxable transaction, including the recognition of their deferred capital gain and any depreciation recapture. The upREIT also has control over the asset they 1031 Exchanged into and therefore has control over the sale or disposition of the asset. The sale or disposition of the asset can trigger the recognition of the investors deferred capital gain and any depreciation recapture.

So, you no longer have control over when you are going to be taxed on the gain or recapture... might be getting into more trouble than it is worth... but, if you are in a very high bracket now and will be lower in the future it might be worth the trouble..
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Interesting... I had not heard about these... you still have the same problem you had before... just deferring it some more...

So, you no longer have control over when you are going to be taxed on the gain or recapture... might be getting into more trouble than it is worth... but, if you are in a very high bracket now and will be lower in the future it might be worth the trouble..
DD is certainly a must. Units in UPREIT are convertible to units in the parent REIT. UPREIT take away the inheritance "landlord" issue.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #33

I feel your pain .... after writing a 70k check to the IRS one year, I told DW "never again". Sooo when I was looking at getting "wacked" again we did the 1031 exchange into the lake property. Something we've really enjoyed.

I think you have a vacation place already .... but is there something/place to buy that would be "fun" (more fun than say, a multi in the intercity)?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #34

What about placing your rental properties into an irrevocable trust? My limited understanding is that this allows beneficiaries (which can include your spouse or SO) to receive income, and also steps-up the cost basis of the properties upon your (grantor's) death to avoid taxes on all the cap gains. I think you can also set up the trust, even though irrevocable, to have a fair amount of control. If you have enough properties and gains, this might be worth a tax experts time.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #35

Just researched the depreciation recapture rule. At sale, you have to "recapture" all the depreciation previously claimed. Depreciation recapture amount is taxed at a statutory rate of 25%. Any remaining gain over purchase cost plus improvements is taxed at whatever cap gain rates bracket your income puts you in--15-25%.
We are considering gifting our rental property to our university when depreciation is exhausted and we do want to deal with it any longer. No recapture plus a deduction.
Nwsteve
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
We've been disposing of them but some of them are impossible even to give away. One left that we just can't seem to get rid of. What a pain.
If you truly don't want it, and don't need any equity out of it, then just quit claim it to the current occupant.

Or, if it's unoccupied, see about quit claiming it to a local charity, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Worst case...stop paying taxes on it and force the county to sell it off at a tax sale. Might affect your credit, though, I'm not sure.