Join Early Retirement Today

"Emergency Fund" thought process?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Emergency Fund" thought process?

Have read many threads on this topic, but when spouse and I began the discussion, we started considering which components of our assets and income would offset a market downturn, or a major event need like medical emergency.

We have income from military healthcare and retirement pension, megacorp pension and some non-qual income, and three rental properties ...we discussed various scenarios and while spouse (more conservative) came up with about a year's expenses in case, I offered that we had that much in a CD that would only cost us about $400 to cash out prior to maturity. (also have both taxable equity, IRA and Roth IRA holdings that we won't exhaust at 4% SWR even without the income components)

Confusing or simple? Thoughts, please!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

I retired 2 years before my pension started and had to bridge the gap. I had almost enough in cash in the bank to cover the 2 years spending and also after tax money in mutual funds. Still I wanted to leave nothing to chance so I put 10% into a stable value fund in my 457 plan.

The pension has started and my AA is around 65/35 now but I've left the money in the stable value as I just like having a large buffer to pay for big expenses if the market tanks.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Theoretically, the fixed income in your portfolio should be sufficient to cover a large emergency unless you have a very high equity allocation.

Personally, I have more than that outside my portfolio because I like to have a big chunk in short term funds to do with as I please (including emergencies).
Old 05-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

sounds like you already have the plan in place, 400 bucks for a years worth of expenses, sounds like a cheap insurance policy to me. since you 2 already liked the idea of a CD ( i dont) , just keep it in place.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

I have large cash and a HELOC account. That should be sufficient for many years.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
gone traveling

Emergency funds are a gimmick, I used to carry a 10k, 12k, 15k emergency fund and never had the need to use it, finally decided to just throw it all to gold. IMO everything you own should be batched into 1 lump sum,, your net worth
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #7

I dropped our emergency fund when my wife retired in 1992. I retired in 2007. We have a fairly conservative allocation (40/60) so I don't feel the need to hold any cash.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

BCG,

It isn't that we like the idea of a CD, it was simply that we had about $40K a year ago with no where to put it and NFCU had a 18 pos CD at about 2% or so ...a lot has happened in a year, so I could be wrong on any number except the $40K :-)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #9

BCG - yeah, I was wrong on two out of three numbers .... :-)

1.98% and 20 months ...
Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
sounds like you already have the plan in place, 400 bucks for a years worth of expenses, sounds like a cheap insurance policy to me. since you 2 already liked the idea of a CD ( i dont) , just keep it in place.

I agree. E fund is very important in the early years to keep from going off the rails. I always just planned to use credit lines or 401k loans if the need arose. Once you're well into accumulation or nearing ER there are lots of resources available that cost less than keeping a pile of cash at 0 pct. I recently realized I can draw all my CD dividends w/o a penalty. In general the need for an emergency fund is overrated unless you are 100 pct equities.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
BCG - yeah, I was wrong on two out of three numbers .... :-)

1.98% and 20 months ...
hahaha, its ok, the fact you have an emergency fund of any substance it a tribute to your financial savvy. You are way ahead of many . As a side note im a veteran myself,i only did 2 years, i love the fact you served long enough to collect a well deserved pension.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #12

I'm somewhat of an OCD budgeter, so I put money into sinking funds for cars (repairs or ultimately replacement) and modestly-sized home repairs. But beyond that my "emergency fund" is just our general savings. I agree with the other poster who wrote that an emergency fund is more important for those still growing their nest egg to prevent going off the rails.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm somewhat of an OCD budgeter, so I put money into sinking funds for cars (repairs or ultimately replacement) and modestly-sized home repairs. But beyond that my "emergency fund" is just our general savings. I agree with the other poster who wrote that an emergency fund is more important for those still growing their nest egg to prevent going off the rails.
+ 1
Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We have CC's , and some cash earning low 1% we could tap, plus a Heloc, so no real need to keep a dedicated emergency fund.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I agree. E fund is very important in the early years to keep from going off the rails. I always just planned to use credit lines or 401k loans if the need arose. Once you're well into accumulation or nearing ER there are lots of resources available that cost less than keeping a pile of cash at 0 pct. I recently realized I can draw all my CD dividends w/o a penalty. In general the need for an emergency fund is overrated unless you are 100 pct equities.
Agree. E funds are very important for people starting out and whose major risk is job loss. Once retired most people do indeed have access to funds such as helocs, margin loans, fixed income component, etc.

For higher net worth people, I think that regular operating cash management (ie the regular funding of lumpy expenses ) kind of takes over from any E funds concern. I hold enough cash for any likely emergency but that's not why I hold it. It's just for regular lumpy discretionary items like a big trip, new car, or home reno.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:59 AM   #16

We hold 2-3 years of expenses in cash or a short-term bond fund so that we can ride out any market declines without selling investments at a loss. We also have a HELOC and a 0% credit card we can use if need be. Almost 50% of our budgeted spending is discretionary (travel, dining out, entertainment, gifts), so we could easily reduce or eliminate expenses to compensate for unanticipated spending needs and/or a more prolonged market decline.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The topic of emergency funds has arisen here from time to time. Many people, including me, have EF money in layers, or tiers, with some money in less risky and more liquid or more easily accessible assets.

As for me, my first tier is a small amount in my local bank's checking account above the minimum balance requirements to avoid monthly fees. I used to keep closer to $750 but have reduced it to around $500. This is money I can take as cash from an ATM or write a personal check at will. I tap into this cushion fairly often but it can be replenished quickly and easily.

My next tier is about $40k I keep in an intermediate-term muni bond fund. This fund pays just over 2% annually and is mostly tax-free. I also have checkwriting privileges on the account which makes it more accessible. I tap into this account on average once a year but have gone 2 or 3 or 4 years without touching it. The principal can vary but not a lot.

After that I have other bond funds and a stock fund I can tap into for larger amounts such as buying a new car once in 15 years.

I don't like keeping large amounts of money tied up in accounts which pay zilch or nearly zilch.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

One advantage of FI is that the ducks are typically aligned and getting cash quickly is a phone call or mouse click away. Virtually all of our funds/investments are structured such that they can become cash (emergency fund fodder). Which to tap first depends on how much might be needed and calculating any tax consequences.

For most issues, credit cards work just fine. I'm guessing we have $30K to $50K available on plastic at most times. For more than that, there is the check book which typically contains from $10K to $30K because our expenses are VERY lumpy.

I actually find myself more concerned about issues such as power outages or other disruptions to the 1's and 0's type of money transfer. I was in a store a year ago when the computers went down. Those with cash walked out with their basket of goodies. Others waited or left empty handed. What about bail? Back in 76 I got a speeding ticket in another state and they would not let me leave without posting CASH bail - not even a travelers check. It turned out that once bail was posted, one could then plead guilty and forfeit the bail as the fine. I don't anticipate anything worse than that but anything can happen. So keeping a handful of $20's (and a few small bills) on hand seems useful.

These are my thoughts on emergency funds. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When I think of Emergency Fund, I think in terms of covering living expenses in case of unexpected loss of income (e.g. layoff, etc.). during accumulation phase. Two income families have significantly more insurance vs. single earner households. My goal was one month expenses and then heloc, credit cards and 401k loans. This was effective for us when DW was riffed and took 4 yrs to recover. If you are in retirement using pension, SS, and savings, these sources are much more reliable. In the spend down phase it's more of an AA question vs. emergency fund.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Credit cards that have no balances with high limits and a HELOC is more than enough.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote