Join Early Retirement Today

Emerging market debt - signs of a frothy top?
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Administrator

Emerging market debt - signs of a frothy top?

Argentina has defaulted on it's international debt twice in the past 30 years, in '89 and in '01. So, the news that it is now floating a 100 year bond was a surprise. That is, it's a surprise that there are buyers for a borrower with such a poor payment history. Such is the desire for higher yield.

What's the chance that in the near future, we look back at this moment and think "we should have seen it coming"? Or, is this time really different?

Quote:
Argentina sold 100-year bonds barely a year after settling a protracted legal dispute tied to a $95 billion default.

With the $2.75 billion sale, the government of South America’s second-largest economy joins Mexico, Ireland and the U.K. in issuing debt that matures over a century, which is often particularly attractive to insurers and pension funds seeking to lock in long-term returns. Argentina, for its part, is taking advantage of historically low borrowing costs to finance the budget and pay off debt that’s maturing in the next few years.
From Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...soon-as-monday
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold all my Emerging market ETF & Index funds last week. Been buying on the dips for the last 3 years. Did not sell because of any specific indicator. Just decided 30% profit was good enough and looking at historical data it is really hard to make money in emerging markets for a buy and hold strategy. May get back it if they get beat up again....
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm also out of VWO. But I have VXUS. Less pain.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

Gee almost 8 % bond for 100 years, nice. But will they pay? If i knew they would pay , I would do it in a heartbeat.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

I've got a couple EM debt CEFs. I was just looking at selling them last week as the discounts have narrowed significantly lately, now around 10%. I don't have much in this area, so was going to hold out for <5% discount and let it ride, but probably should sell some.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I'd rather put together a basket of Junk bonds. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I think I'd rather put together a basket of Junk bonds. YMMV

+1
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Is this Argentina bond representative of EM debts? A few years ago, Malkiel made a point that EM countries had lower debts than developed ones (as a percentage of GNP or economy size) among other attributes that made EM stocks a compelling buy. No expert here, so just retell what I read. Or perhaps my memory has been shot.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
Administrator

Emerging markets are always a compelling story for growth and investment, and "this time is different" is common. As an asset class, though, it suffers from very high volatility. I lived and worked in that environment, and have a pretty high asset allocation to EM, but can't help but wonder if this news is a sign that things are getting stretched. Perhaps this shows a shift in expectations from real growth to imagined / fantasy improvements in governance and economic stability.

An EM crisis tends to be liquidity driven, when there is a sudden mismatch between liabilities and cash flow. This does not seem to be an issue right now.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

https://www.gmo.com/docs/default-sou...).pdf?sfvrsn=2

While volatility is high in EM, it's the only asset class projected to have positive real returns over the next 7 years by GMO.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I would be worried about the exchange rate making it much harder for them to pay the debt...

When oil prices dropped the Russian Ruble took a nose dive and people and companies there had problems paying back dollar or euro debt...

As others (who are also on the preferred stock thread) have said, I would much rather buy some junk here and not have to worry about exchange rates.... I could also diversify....

BTW, I read yesterday that you could get 9% on Chicago school debt as nobody wants to buy this junk...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Argentina has defaulted on it's international debt twice in the past 30 years, in '89 and in '01. So, the news that it is now floating a 100 year bond was a surprise. That is, it's a surprise that there are buyers for a borrower with such a poor payment history. Such is the desire for higher yield.

What's the chance that in the near future, we look back at this moment and think "we should have seen it coming"? Or, is this time really different?

From Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...soon-as-monday

They have defaulted luke 8/9 times in the last 100, right?

The bonds are going to be worthless longterm, but there is money to be made trading them in the short term, and thats why they sold. Someone will be left holding the bag eventually when Argentina devalues them or defaults, likely in succession.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote