Join Early Retirement Today

Emerging Markets
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Emerging Markets

Last Friday, May 26, I liquidated 25% of my Vanguard's Emerging Markets VEIEX position. I have no idea where EMs are headed, I just decided to take some money off the table. If VEIEX rallies, I'll take some more profits.

Nords accurately anticipate the EM decline. I wish I would have sold my position sooner...

Now what to do with the proceeds.

Bond funds have been beaten up a bit. Maybe some TIPS...

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Emerging Markets
Old 05-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How about Ibond or money market?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Nords accurately anticipate the EM decline. I wish I would have sold my position sooner...
Thanks, I'd like to take credit but I'm afraid that I can't.

All I predicted was that Tweedy, Browne was due for a pullback, and how. Down 6% off its high in less than a month, and it's still 10% of our retirement portfolio. Yikes.

PID hasn't exactly been a house on fire, either, but that's why the dividends are being reinvested...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
How about Ibond or money market?
With rates rising, a MM might not be a bad place to park the funds for awhile. If the fixed portion of I Bonds rises (closer to 2%) I'd probably lock some of those in as well.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Thanks, I'd like to take credit but I'm afraid that I can't.*

All I predicted was that Tweedy, Browne was due for a pullback, and how.* Down 6% off its high in less than a month, and it's still 10% of our retirement portfolio.* Yikes.
Looks to me like your predicition was timely

I mostly been a "buy and hold" investor, but I am begining to appreciate :harvesting" some profits now and then.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:50 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

toooo funny,i have been buying eem emerging markets the last few days..hoping it drops around 91 today so i can finish buying my position...... another mans junk is another mans treasure ha ha ha
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lancelot, how about TIPS? Real rates are the most attractive they have been in a few years. Alternatively, maybe non-US bonds, unless you already have some.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #8

I've been DCA'ing into EM since March. So far I'm down about 6%. I am glad that there has been a substantial correction because now I can buy more shares! It wouldn't surprise me if EM took another big dip in the next few months. What matters most to me is where it's at in a decade or two. My asset allocation plan still has 12.5% of equities in EM.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #9

Lance,

I you want to park some money for 3 years at PFCU their rate until 5/31 (today) is 6% APY.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've been wanting to change part of my Roth IRA (10k) to Em Mkts (vanguard) but have been apprehensive b/c of the run up. Do you think now is the right time?
Robin
pinkmali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
toooo funny,i have been buying eem emerging markets the last few days..hoping it drops around 91 today so i can finish buying my position...... another mans junk is another mans treasure* *ha ha ha*
mathjak, I opened my EM position on Jan 2004, so I decided to take some profits now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Lancelot, how about TIPS? Real rates are the most attractive they have been in a few years. Alternatively, maybe non-US bonds, unless you already have some.
Brewer, yep, I will probably buy some 5 year TIPS at the next Treasury Auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmali
I've been wanting to change part of my Roth IRA (10k) to Em Mkts (vanguard) but have been apprehensive b/c of the run up. Do you think now is the right time?
Robin
Robin, My Ems are in my Vanguard IRA as well. I am selling part of my position to lock in some profits. As to when to buy, I really have no idea-do the opposite of what I do and you'll make money

Lance

Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #12

"... 'emerging markets look 'very fully priced to the point of being expensive' ... If you're underexposed to emerging markets, 'now is not the time' to wade in"
market watch article (6/1):

http://tinyurl.com/rz2eh

EDIT: Shortened URL
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
"... 'emerging markets look 'very fully priced to the point of being expensive' ... If you're underexposed to emerging markets, 'now is not the time' to wade in"
I suspect we'll have several more opportunities between now & October...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
market watch article (6/1):
Of course they were probably talking about how hot emerging markets were around May 1st!

Where were they when emerging markets were 17% more expensive on May 8 compared to today? Why didn't they warn me that they were at least 17% overvalued then?
Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #15

well, they're always better when forecasting the past than the future ... but the run-up in EM was pretty obvious early on ... i don't have a lot of EM, but began trimming in january. (of course at this point i wished i had trimmed a bit more.)
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #16

Does anyone know the P/E ratio of the VWO/VEIEX fund from VG? They used to show it on the VG website but it mysteriously disappeared a few months ago (for all their international funds).

How about the earnings growth rate for the countries in the VWO/VEIEX funds? I heard China/India were turning in GDP growth close to 10% per year recently.

The run-up in price seems to be due to great growth in earnings, weakening of the dollar, people ignoring the risk of EM (political, capital markets, etc).

My long term view is that it'll be easier for countries with per capita GDP's of $3000-$10000 to double their GDP's than it will be for the US or other fully developed countries to double theirs.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #17

given the many risks in EM i doubt the p/e ratios have any meaning at all (both p and e are rather unreliable and certainly volatile) ... the run up (and down) in EM is in no small part due to the disparity of size ... a modest increase/decrease of buying interest from developed economies can swamp the small markets.

would agree that gdp growth in some EMs will exceed developed economies, but 1) which ones? and 2) that does not necessarily translate to good equity performance?

no matter how you cut it, EMs are very risky (and no matter how risky you or i think they are, they are probably riskier still!)