Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, guys. I am definitely counting myself lucky that at my megacorp, the full match up to 6% is paid in full for the year, even when I max out earlier (I usually do so around September). I've done the math (twice) to make sure. I wonder if my company is in the minority for handling this well?

Charlotte

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Y'all are lucky having the matching, my two most recent employers have had 401ks with mediocre funds (sigh high expense ratios) and no match at all.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
Y'all are lucky having the matching, my two most recent employers have had 401ks with mediocre funds (sigh high expense ratios) and no match at all.
Exactly correct Retch. I consider myself fortunate to have a match and have no problem playing the game. As I ask my customers - If that's the only issue you have with our situation, let's deal with it and process the order.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #24

Our employer gives a 5% contribution, regardless if employees contribute anything. I feel fortunate they do so. Then I contribute quite a bit myself.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

My (former) employer matched up to 6% pretax and the over 50 contributions. If/When the pretax was maxed, the employer maxed up to 6% of taxed. After I retired the pension plan was frozen and the 401K match went up to 8%. Once you hit the highly comp ceiling it was all over.

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of employees who refused to contribute to the 401K.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #26

I would not be surprised at all. I try to encourage our employees to contribute all the time, but few do.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I would not be surprised at all. I try to encourage our employees to contribute all the time, but few do.
My company is international and most of the employees are outside the USA, but I was told by the corporate HR manager that of the approx. 250 USA employees subject to the 401K program, I am the only one that maxes out the 401K and then of course the only one who takes advantage of the catch up.

Seems unbelievable to me, considering I am far from the highest paid employee.