Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #41

It is a pretty cool way to both celebrate and dispose of inherited stuff that was meaningful to the owner and no one else. We live in a densely populated urban area, though, and I'm quite sure the authorities and neighbors would not view this as a good idea. We'll have to look for a good urban alternative to this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I purged in 2008, and am amazed at how much I have acquired since then.

I recently made the decision to get rid of things both grandparents left me. For 20 years I have carted around Lladro figurines, Hummel figurines, 8 different sets of china, hundreds of pieces of Waterford crystal, silver, serving pieces, vases, etc. Told all of my siblings they could have anything they wanted. They took very few items. We are all in our 50's and 60's and all received lots of stuff when grandparents and aunts died. None of the nieces and nephews wanted anything.

I realize I have not attended a wedding years where the bride and groom registered fro china, silver or crystal, which was the norm when I was growing up. I think the kids today want gift cards to Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I purged in 2008, and am amazed at how much I have acquired since then.

I recently made the decision to get rid of things both grandparents left me. For 20 years I have carted around Lladro figurines, Hummel figurines, 8 different sets of china, hundreds of pieces of Waterford crystal, silver, serving pieces, vases, etc. Told all of my siblings they could have anything they wanted. They took very few items. We are all in our 50's and 60's and all received lots of stuff when grandparents and aunts died. None of the nieces and nephews wanted anything.

I realize I have not attended a wedding years where the bride and groom registered fro china, silver or crystal, which was the norm when I was growing up. I think the kids today want gift cards to Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware.
We have a friend that owns a large resale/antique store on one of those small town near a BIG city Main Streets that are so popular. We talked to her , a few months ago, about all of the VERY nice VERY expensive ( new) China sets that we have. She told us that , rather suddenly, fine china sets have become darn near worthless. Boomers all over the country are looking at getting rid of their 2 mothers + 4 grandmothers etc high end china sets. Most boomers remember using the good stuff whenever we went to a grandparents on Sunday..then by our WW2 era parents on holidays and then ..........maybe once or twice a year at our homes. Our kids and their kids have NO USE nor real memory of dining on that china nor see the need to take up space in their homes for this huge boxes of china and all of the 87 sets of fine silverware ( which at least can be sold for scrap).
Bottom line.... She wont even take china in her shop. Hasn't sold a SINGLE piece in over a year. She knows of no one who wants the stuff. She is probably going to close up shop in a few years as she has noticed that it is largely the boomers and a very very few boomer kids that have ANY desire to have the type of stuff that are in these shops. Very very very few 35 year olds who want knick naks like Hummel or collectibles of any kind.
I'm thinking that I'm going to be using a lot of formerly expensive collectables and a couple of sets of china for targets. Got a LOT of ammunition to blow thru over the next 10-15 years !!!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
When my MIL died, we checked the price of her good china. Found it it would cost more to ship it than it was worth.
My dad was a real pack rat. When he died, my sis and BIL cleaned out the "walk-in" closet. They claim they took out about 100 trash bags of stuff!
My DF threw mom's china in the trunk of his car with a collection of tools he'd bought pre-WWII. The tools handled the trip much better than the china.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

We downsized in 2012. I decided to donate pretty much everything because selling it on Ebay was not worth my time or aggravation (flaky buyers, huge fees, frequent trips to the post office, etc...). I had found a company that could sell items on Ebay for me but their commission was extortionate (donating the item and taking the tax deduction was better for us at the time). The few items that were worth selling, I did sell on hobbyist forums hence bypassing Ebay entirely.

But even donating items was not so easy. Nobody wanted our old printer and CRT TV (the needy had apparently higher standards than we did). And it was tough to find someone willing to come pick up our old but serviceable furniture. The experience served as a lesson. It makes me think twice before bringing anything into my home.

ETA: we actually decided to keep Grandma's china, silver and table linens, which we use regularly. Except for everyday china/silverware, we got rid of everything else, including the formal service we received as wedding present. Grandma's stuff was of much nicer quality.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #46

Old gold chains and rings and stuff can fetch money for their melt value. Be sure to go to the "we buy gold" place when the price of gold is up. I made a few hundred on some tint bracelets and broken necklaces. I learned how to tell the 14K and 10K from the gold plated stuff. I also had a couple of diamond rings, one of them broken. They're probably worth quite a bit and DS asked to save them as remounted the stones might make an amazing engagement/wedding set.

I use the china twice a year. The silver--never. Our stainless is nicer.

I'll probably sell the silver for melt value this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Then we made a mistake - we filled up the garage in the new house - like a storage unit. Of course we say we'll keep going and purge the rest, but I suspect it will be years, if ever, before I can park a car in the garage.
If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider something like Junk Removal & Dumpster Rental Alternative | 1-800-GOT-JUNK? USA

They set up a dumpster for you, you fill it up, they haul it away.
Hire a neighborhood young person to fill it up, and tell them they can have anything they think they can sell (but they have to take it away that day).
Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie76 View Post
We talked to her , a few months ago, about all of the VERY nice VERY expensive ( new) China sets that we have. She told us that , rather suddenly, fine china sets have become darn near worthless. Boomers all over the country are looking at getting rid of their 2 mothers + 4 grandmothers etc high end china sets.
This is certainly true, but you can still get a little money for it. I've used this outfit a couple of times to get rid of old china and thought it was worthwhile.

Replacement China Patterns, Flatware, and Crystal | Replacements, Ltd.

Now if only I could find some place that would buy my mom's Hummel collection or my DW's David Winter Cottage collection, I'd be all set. But those things have become essentially worthless as well.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Old gold chains and rings and stuff can fetch money for their melt value. Be sure to go to the "we buy gold" place when the price of gold is up.
The absolute best prices on old gold jewelry will be from US Gold Buyers | New York, NY

If you research them, you'll agree. The WSJ called them the top place to deal with. I've sold to them several times over the years, and always got closer to spot price than any of the local stores.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #50

My understanding is that The Needy don't get your stuff. They get whatever's left over after the charitable organization auctions your stuff.

(OTOH, I'm not sure who makes the decisions on what's good enough to put into thrift stores, where needy people actually shop ((as do some of the more fortunate)). Although the clothing in those stores is typically in good shape, household goods are usually deplorable - anything you have is almost certainly better than that trash).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Nobody wanted our old printer and CRT TV (the needy had apparently higher standards than we did). .
Old 08-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have a friend that owns a large resale/antique store on one of those small town near a BIG city Main Streets that are so popular. We talked to her , a few months ago, about all of the VERY nice VERY expensive ( new) China sets that we have. She told us that , rather suddenly, fine china sets have become darn near worthless. Boomers all over the country are looking at getting rid of their 2 mothers + 4 grandmothers etc high end china sets. ...
Sure, and 10-20 years later, this stuff will be all the rage, worth thousands, because we all threw it out!

The large furniture that people mentioned - there's a resale shop near us, they have beautiful fine furniture that goes for very low prices (they drop the price every couple weeks until it sells), it goes cheap. But since our house is furnished, I have no need, and kids don't want the heavy stuff.

I keep thinking about a business opportunity (for someone else, not me!) - I just helped our youngest move out (empty nesters!), and she bought some stuff at IKEA and I helped her assemble it. I know people like to knock IKEA furniture, but some of this stuff is fairly nice. But it is tedious to assemble, so many little screws and brackets. And some of those fasteners don't hold up to multiple assembly/disassembly cycles as these kids move.

So my idea is fairly nice (to very nice) furniture, that assembles and knocks down easy. DW bought me a nice little bookshelf years ago that has the sides and shelves on hinges. You just flip the shelves up, fold the sides in, and it's flat for moving. No tools, takes a few seconds. It's a nice piece, not quite 'fine furniture' as some of the brass metal brackets are exposed, but those could be designed with a little more aesthetics in mind.

-ERD50
Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sure, and 10-20 years later, this stuff will be all the rage, worth thousands, because we all threw it out!

The large furniture that people mentioned - there's a resale shop near us, they have beautiful fine furniture that goes for very low prices (they drop the price every couple weeks until it sells), it goes cheap. But since our house is furnished, I have no need, and kids don't want the heavy stuff.

I keep thinking about a business opportunity (for someone else, not me!) - I just helped our youngest move out (empty nesters!), and she bought some stuff at IKEA and I helped her assemble it. I know people like to knock IKEA furniture, but some of this stuff is fairly nice. But it is tedious to assemble, so many little screws and brackets. And some of those fasteners don't hold up to multiple assembly/disassembly cycles as these kids move.

So my idea is fairly nice (to very nice) furniture, that assembles and knocks down easy. DW bought me a nice little bookshelf years ago that has the sides and shelves on hinges. You just flip the shelves up, fold the sides in, and it's flat for moving. No tools, takes a few seconds. It's a nice piece, not quite 'fine furniture' as some of the brass metal brackets are exposed, but those could be designed with a little more aesthetics in mind.

-ERD50

Yea.... look up depression glass and see how much some of that stuff goes for... way back in the 50s when mom and dad work in the carnival, they used to give it away on penny pitch and some other game... he bought it by the cases... had plenty of it when they stopped going... I think it was in the 70s when he got rid of it.... now, worth some bucks...
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
When Dad passed, I dreaded cleaning the house out. I was working at the time and took one week's vacation to get it all done. Turned out to be a piece of cake. The realtor who was selling the house for me connected me to a service that would clean out a house and haul it all away for just the value of the "stuff." I spent a half day going through things and grabbed all the guns, a few of the tools, family pictures, purged confidential paperwork, etc. The next day the junque hauling guys came and cleaned the place to 100% empty in just a few hours.
Youbet - I was in a similar situation but local. It took 10 months to get rid of the stuff and prep the house for sale. Folks have a tendency to hide money in books, clothes and nooks and crannies. I would always suggest people go through everything before tossing it. ...we even found money in bandaid containers.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Tom View Post
I'm a little surprised at some of the responses here; being that most ERE folks are frugal and "value" seekers. By the time I'm done with something, it's usually used-up, broken, or thread-bare. No criticism...
My DW has clothes she bought for work and never wore, so those are getting donated. But me, I wear out my clothes until they are full of holes, stains, rips, and the collar worn out. Then I use them as rags and finally toss them in the garbage.

Just the other day DW told me I had holes under the arms of a UPS shirt I had bought at a garage sale (new) 12 years ago, glad it was only $2
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
Youbet - I was in a similar situation but local. It took 10 months to get rid of the stuff and prep the house for sale. Folks have a tendency to hide money in books, clothes and nooks and crannies. I would always suggest people go through everything before tossing it. ...we even found money in bandaid containers.
I agree- When my MIL died. I took everything out of every picture frame. I found a dollar bill with the Hawaii overprint behind one.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Big ole giant formal wedding portraits...all the stuff that NO ONE except direct family would ever want. Well I am at the direct family and have been assured that none of the next generation wants any of it. They barely knew him. I just did not have the heart to throw all of this into th trash
I recently found a big box of sepia toned photos. Lots of the huge wedding portraits. I have no idea who any of the people in them are, although some of them resemble my mother or father. I guess I will scan them. Then maybe the bonfire.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #57

My sister's FIL had cash hidden in the walls. Hubby knew his dad had his savings in the home somewhere. Few new sheets of drywall. That crazy guy had his life savings in the walls, can't trust banks.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My sister's FIL had cash hidden in the walls. Hubby knew his dad had his savings in the home somewhere. Few new sheets of drywall. That crazy guy had his life savings in the walls, can't trust banks.
But did the cash cover the cost of the new drywall?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love the bonfire idea. I am able to shred lots of papers and other tree based treasures now but as the piles shrink the fire will definitely come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

We did a combo of all of the above, but -- we were not FIRE'd, just downsizing. We searched for things of value to verify, and things that had good value and were small enough to ship we sold on eBay. That alone was worth $3K or more. Then we Craigslisted a few things and gave friends 'first dibs' on household items. Then we garage-saled the rest. The leftovers went to charity or trash. Between furniture and appliances and motorcycles and one vehicle we may have cleared $15k-$20k. We did it in two waves a year apart, because we moved to an apartment for a year before hitting the road.

If we had to do it again and were fully loaded for ER we would probably skip some of the more labor-intensive parts, but the frugal habits are hard to shake.